UK Members

Mrjay07

I'm going to be doing my next 100 soon. I just got a bunch of MoFi style inners from Spincare.co.uk. Look fairly similar to MoFi's, but crucially at half the price. Nearly done with my 7"'s as well, but doing these on the Spin Clean.
My wife bought me some Audiophile ones. They're great!
Also they are only going on my old records. MoFi for the new ones I buy!🤫😁

Andy

Is anyone still in VMP? Tracking shipping of this months package & it's coming via Royal Mail. I'm getting concerned about potential import charges.

bshikari

Mine still hasn't shipped. Do please let us know if you get charged! I've 100% considered dropping VMP before because of the charges I got when living in Portugal

Andy

Mine still hasn't shipped. Do please let us know if you get charged! I've 100% considered dropping VMP before because of the charges I got when living in Portugal

I just signed up to the 12 month bridge subscription. I have loads of pre-orders in this shipment as well, an AP & a few Jazz dispensary titles. Biggest shipment I can remember. 😬

edit - I'm hoping that as the customs part is handled by DHL & it looks like it's handed off to Royal Mail after it's cleared customs, we should be OK

Last edited:

bshikari

I just signed up to the 12 month bridge subscription. I have loads of pre-orders in this shipment as well, an AP & a few Jazz dispensary titles. Biggest shipment I can remember. 😬

I'm on the same boat to be honest. I probably have like 10 months left on my subscription, and this is going to be a decently sized month with:
  • All 3 tracks
  • The Jerusalem Bundle (4 records)
  • Pastor T. L. Bennet
  • Khruangbin

So that's like 9 records at once. Let's see how that goes

Andy

I'm on the same boat to be honest. I probably have like 10 months left on my subscription, and this is going to be a decently sized month with:
  • All 3 tracks
  • The Jerusalem Bundle (4 records)
  • Pastor T. L. Bennet
  • Khruangbin

So that's like 9 records at once. Let's see how that goes

Mine's scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so I'll let you know

Andy

My last one had a customs label on. They'd set at $10

It's cleared customs, but I don't know if that means there are no charges, or if Storf just hasn't been caught operating an international drug smuggling ring using VMP shipments as cover.

TBH I'm not sure how they can charge for subscriptions, the money is for the club membership, not necessarily the record of the month.

bshikari

It's cleared customs, but I don't know if that means there are no charges, or if Storf just hasn't been caught operating an international drug smuggling ring using VMP shipments as cover.

TBH I'm not sure how they can charge for subscriptions, the money is for the club membership, not necessarily the record of the month.

I tried explaining that to Portuguese customs and I wasn't very successful haha

Selaws

Oh god this would be a nightmare if we get hit with charges. I also signed up to the 12month sub and have a TON of preorders im waiting on. @Andy I cant believe your package is in the country already, I havent even had shipping yet.

Andy

Oh god this would be a nightmare if we get hit with charges. I also signed up to the 12month sub and have a TON of preorders im waiting on. @Andy I cant believe your package is in the country already, I havent even had shipping yet.

Your's might still be coming via Yodel. It might take longer but could end up being cheaper :)

Andy

Just looking at the Royal Mail website & they have updated the rules (presumably to accommodate Brexit). I may be miss-interpreting this, but it implies VAT is now always charged at the point of sale for items valued less than £135. Does that mean they assume Vat has already been paid for anything under £135, so you will only be charged where value is above £135?

"VAT will be applied depending on the type and value of the goods. VAT on items under £135 (with the exception of gifts) will now be collected directly at the point of sale.

For goods with a value over £135 and gifts over £39, customs charges will continue to be applied on behalf of HM"

(I think I have an long time outstanding Music Direct order I need to trim before they send)

Andy

I received the VMP package today & no extra charges! I couldn't see if VMP had detailed a customs value, the Royal Mail delivery sticker Wass right over the previous one & too difficult to separate.

I can't believe how quickly this has arrived. Even the postman came early today & we have heavy snow :)

Andy

No wonder the subscription costs are going up if they are going to use Royal Mail though. I had 8 titles, the package was 3.5 kg, I can't see it being cheap

Selaws

I received the VMP package today & no extra charges! I couldn't see if VMP had detailed a customs value, the Royal Mail delivery sticker Wass right over the previous one & too difficult to separate.

I can't believe how quickly this has arrived. Even the postman came early today & we have heavy snow :)
This is one of the quickest I have seen someone in the UK get it! Mega fast, I still dont have a shipping notification for mine!

Glad to hear you didnt get extra charges as well!

bshikari

This is one of the quickest I have seen someone in the UK get it! Mega fast, I still dont have a shipping notification for mine!

Glad to hear you didnt get extra charges as well!
No notification here either. Really glad that you had no extra charges on your package!

Andy

No notification here either. Really glad that you had no extra charges on your package!

If I get something from abroad & it comes via Royal Mail, I usually get charged an admin fee. I have been overcharged VAT twice now why Royal Mail

Andy

Just looking at the gov. site for changes to import charges as a result of Brexit. I'm maybe late to the game on this, thinking about it I did care something on the news about VAT for sellers within the EU but didn't make the connection with the rest of the world.

As I understand it, the £15 low value VAT exemption has been removed. A purchase that is below £135 must have VAT charged at the point of sale, meaning it is up to the seller to register with HMRC, collect & pay any VAT chargeable on sales to the UK. (Over £135 remains the same).

I'm wondering what this means for purchases from the US. Has anyone bought anything from Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds? If they are still selling to the UK & implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, it should mean no more import charges, if we keep the basket under £135. If they haven't (likely option) implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, probably means they will stop selling to the UK.

Has anyone ordered anything from the US or Canada?

Selaws

Just looking at the gov. site for changes to import charges as a result of Brexit. I'm maybe late to the game on this, thinking about it I did care something on the news about VAT for sellers within the EU but didn't make the connection with the rest of the world.

As I understand it, the £15 low value VAT exemption has been removed. A purchase that is below £135 must have VAT charged at the point of sale, meaning it is up to the seller to register with HMRC, collect & pay any VAT chargeable on sales to the UK. (Over £135 remains the same).

I'm wondering what this means for purchases from the US. Has anyone bought anything from Music Direct or Acoustic Sounds? If they are still selling to the UK & implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, it should mean no more import charges, if we keep the basket under £135. If they haven't (likely option) implemented a mechanism to collect VAT, probably means they will stop selling to the UK.

Has anyone ordered anything from the US or Canada?
This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. I did have a record arrive from Canada the other day (which was ordered before Christmas) but im pretty sure he valued it at 10canadian dollars, so it wouldn't have been effected anyway.