U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

So at this point, I'm working with:

• U-Turn Orbit Plus w/ built-in preamp
  • Onkyo A-9010 Integrated Amplifier
  • KEF Q150 Bookshelf Pair
The Onkyo A-9010 technically has a phono preamp, but I assume that's not ideal. So I'm looking at getting a new turntable in the $400-$600 price range and a preamp.

So that basically leads me to either the Fluance RT85 or the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon EVO. Both would require separate phono preamps.

Anyone with recommendations? Perhaps this is the wrong thread.
The Pioneer PLX-1000 is at the top of your range, but would be the one I’d buy. The only disadvantage is a non hinged dust cover.

The Pioneer PLX-1000 is at the top of your range, but would be the one I’d buy. The only disadvantage is a non hinged dust cover.
It also doesn't fit the aesthetic I'm going for. It very much looks like a DJ TT (because it is). If I was going to skip over mid-range options, perhaps I'd tread into the $1000 range and be able to buy an endgame table that has both form and function.

(because it is)
Respectfully, it is not, DJ's adopted the design because it suit their needs, this is every bit of an audiophile turntable, don't let the DJ thing sidetrack you ;)

That said, you go with what works best for you. Like I said, in the price range you mentioned it's more about what appeals to you, the PLX is the midpoint, quality, sound and price wise...........in my opinion, between where you're looking and the $1000 end of the pool.

Hey looky what they sell now:

I ordered one for shits and giggles. Will report back.
I actually grabbed one of these a few months back, for the same reason.

It works! I actually quite like it for the cost.

All I ask in life is for this for the original tone arm. Why is Stevenson shunned for anything other than a print at home PDF?
Stevenson gives the lowest distortion at the inner grooves. Baerwald gives much lower average distortion over the entire playing surface. You need an arm with a minimum of 9” effective length. That’s why the first generation arm can’t be aligned to Baerwald- its effective length is 8.5 inches.

Because of the square shape of the cart and the way the needle sits under it?
The grado? Yes, the extension of the cart past the head shell and the complete under the cart design mean that a protractor is more useful for me.

Question that I probably should have asked long ago when replacing a Grado stylus. I know the most popular video shows a guy wiggling the stylus out while the cartridge is still mounted on the arm. My question is how worried should I be about the tone arm bearings getting wrenched back and forth while I wiggle this thing out and then back in. That said my tone arm has a bit of wobble anyway which I have never noticed not being there…

Question that I probably should have asked long ago when replacing a Grado stylus. I know the most popular video shows a guy wiggling the stylus out while the cartridge is still mounted on the arm. My question is how worried should I be about the tone arm bearings getting wrenched back and forth while I wiggle this thing out and then back in. That said my tone arm has a bit of wobble anyway which I have never noticed not being there…

Whenever I’ve done it I’ve held the tonearm as steady as possible with my left hand and done the wiggling with my right. Not caused any damage yet, touch wood!

Did you not get the small removal tool with your Grado? It does make it much easier.

Ok. Disregard. I used the tool and managed to have it off and on in a jif.

The only thing I’m still worried about is the amount of play there is in the tone arm. Like enough that there is a millimeter or so of left to right tilt that the cart could have when I’m facing the Grado logo from the front. If I get the lighting right I’ll try to take some photos tomorrow.

Ok so this is kind of what I’m talking about but the only way I could film it was to wobble on the pivot point of the tone arm. So the wobble is mostly imperceptible by the time it gets to the cart but I can notice a slight “lean” out of level for the cart from left to right once on the record. The set screw at the head shell is tight so no wobble there.

Not sure if this has always been there or if it’s something to worry about?

Last edited:
Ok so this is kind of what I’m talking about but the only way I could film it was to wobble on the pivot point of the tone arm. So the wobble is mostly imperceptible by the time it gets to the cart but I can notice a slight “lean” out of level for the cart from left to right once on the record. The set screw at the head shell is tight so no wobble there.

Not sure if this has always been there or if it’s something to worry about?

I'd say that's that's similar to the amount of give on mine.

Back