Toronto Weird Boys

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but it was ~$16k up front for the whole package including installation.
But then there is ~$5k in rebates, so it's ~$11k net cost.

That was for 16 panels producing ~4500 kWh in the first year. They should produce enough to power the house in summer months where we have 20+ hours of sun, but basically zero production in the winter, cause it's dark AF up here. With the combined savings on the hydro bill and export back to the grid, it should take 11-12 years to pay for itself.

If we've got an company doing up here in the north, you all in Ontario must have several.
That's WAY less than what I last saw down here. Interesting. I'll have to check it out again.

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but it was ~$16k up front for the whole package including installation.
But then there is ~$5k in rebates, so it's ~$11k net cost.

That was for 16 panels producing ~4500 kWh in the first year. They should produce enough to power the house in summer months where we have 20+ hours of sun, but basically zero production in the winter, cause it's dark AF up here. With the combined savings on the hydro bill and export back to the grid, it should take 11-12 years to pay for itself.

If we've got an company doing up here in the north, you all in Ontario must have several.
When they installed did they re shingle the roof too? I thought I'd read that was necessary before install.

That's WAY less than what I last saw down here. Interesting. I'll have to check it out again.
The price for solar panels seems to have dropped dramatically in the past 5-6 years.
Also, mine is cheaper since we are just tied into our electrical grid and not "off the grid". A storage battery would be $8-$10k more.

When they installed did they re shingle the roof too? I thought I'd read that was necessary before install.
If it's an older roof, it's required / highly recommended. They told us it should be less than 3 years, and I had redone our roof in 2018, so it wasn't necessary.

The price for solar panels seems to have dropped dramatically in the past 5-6 years.
Also, mine is cheaper since we are just tied into our electrical grid and not "off the grid". A storage battery would be $8-$10k more.

If it's an older roof, it's required / highly recommended. They told us it should be less than 3 years, and I had redone our roof in 2018, so it wasn't necessary.
Haha uh... yeah I'd need that done. I think ours was 2006. But I've also read that some will do it as part of the installation.

I had a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and thought I would order something online from Sonic Boom. Damned if they did not just raise their free shipping to $175 in the last week. That is quite a jump. Oh well helps me not buy so many records I guess.

I had a bit of money burning a hole in my pocket and thought I would order something online from Sonic Boom. Damned if they did not just raise their free shipping to $175 in the last week. That is quite a jump. Oh well helps me not buy so many records I guess.
Whoa, I did not see that. That's uh, pretty high.

I never thought well of Sonic Boom's business, but they are a business, and it costs money to ship records. There is no such thing as free shipping. Customers always pay, baked in to the prices. "Free" shipping just means the cost to ship to various locations, with different shipping rates, is built in to the price. It induces people to spend, but at that same time, means some people pay higher prices than they would to compensate for someone living in the Yukon. I would rather have fair, lowest prices and pay for actual shipping costs.

Alright, I've gone 3 months without buying any new vinyl and feel a relapse coming on. So y'all have any favourite Canadian online shops (that aren't owned by Jeff Bezos)? Sonic Boom? Diamond Groove?

Alright, I've gone 3 months without buying any new vinyl and feel a relapse coming on. So y'all have any favourite Canadian online shops (that aren't owned by Jeff Bezos)? Sonic Boom? Diamond Groove?
Diamond Grove is technically shut now so they're selling off old stock. I've had good luck with them but I know @RHANDMJ doesn't like them because they are known to repackage returns. That didn't happen to me but obviously that sucks. I've also had luck with Audiopile out of BC. And Sonics shipping has been decent too. Although obviously slightly higher prices from them...

I have heard Diamond Groove re-sells items that have been returned. Hasn't happened to me but just what I have heard.

Sonic Boom is fine, prices for new are pretty good. $175 to get free shipping.

Dead Dog Records in TO has an ok selection. I think they are $100 to get free shipping. For new items they are usually a couple of bucks higher than Sonic. Have a discogs store but not the most up to date. You end up having to check both sites and I think they only give you the free shipping over $100 when you buy directly from the store, not discogs.

I have purchased some items from Kops lately. If you are looking at snagging some Rhino reissues they have a decent selection and it is always changing. Shipping is reasonable. kopsrecords.ca They use discogs as their webstore.

I have also purchased from Barnacle Records in Kamloops (my hometown). Similar to Kops. Discogs is their webstore, decent shipping etc.

Edit. Not bought online from Audiopile but them and Redcat in Vancouver are great inperson stores.

DeadDog is a pretty small outfit, and often what they have on discogs is often already sold in store - happened to me twice, out of 3 orders.

Audiopile is awesome. Great service. Same with Redcat. Superb.

Kops is fine, their online service is friendly and accomodating. Sonic, well...I just don't like them.

I will also add that for the Black Saint and Doors AP 2LP 45s from Audiopile I paid $72 each with taxes and shipping included. That's gotta be at least $20-30 cheaper than buying locally in Toronto and picking up in store. So very good prices from them too.

Sonic Boom has been good for me but I usually wait until I have enough to hit their free shipping mark (which is quite high these days), but not that difficult to achieve with the audiophile stuff I've been buying.

I ordered from Dead Dog a few times and had good success.

I'll also plug Aux33Tours out of Montreal. Great place, but YMMV since I can get free shipping for being in-province.

Back