Toronto Weird Boys

Mather

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but it was ~$16k up front for the whole package including installation.
But then there is ~$5k in rebates, so it's ~$11k net cost.

That was for 16 panels producing ~4500 kWh in the first year. They should produce enough to power the house in summer months where we have 20+ hours of sun, but basically zero production in the winter, cause it's dark AF up here. With the combined savings on the hydro bill and export back to the grid, it should take 11-12 years to pay for itself.

If we've got an company doing up here in the north, you all in Ontario must have several.
That's WAY less than what I last saw down here. Interesting. I'll have to check it out again.

Mather

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but it was ~$16k up front for the whole package including installation.
But then there is ~$5k in rebates, so it's ~$11k net cost.

That was for 16 panels producing ~4500 kWh in the first year. They should produce enough to power the house in summer months where we have 20+ hours of sun, but basically zero production in the winter, cause it's dark AF up here. With the combined savings on the hydro bill and export back to the grid, it should take 11-12 years to pay for itself.

If we've got an company doing up here in the north, you all in Ontario must have several.
When they installed did they re shingle the roof too? I thought I'd read that was necessary before install.

TCell

That's WAY less than what I last saw down here. Interesting. I'll have to check it out again.
The price for solar panels seems to have dropped dramatically in the past 5-6 years.
Also, mine is cheaper since we are just tied into our electrical grid and not "off the grid". A storage battery would be $8-$10k more.

When they installed did they re shingle the roof too? I thought I'd read that was necessary before install.
If it's an older roof, it's required / highly recommended. They told us it should be less than 3 years, and I had redone our roof in 2018, so it wasn't necessary.

Mather

The price for solar panels seems to have dropped dramatically in the past 5-6 years.
Also, mine is cheaper since we are just tied into our electrical grid and not "off the grid". A storage battery would be $8-$10k more.

If it's an older roof, it's required / highly recommended. They told us it should be less than 3 years, and I had redone our roof in 2018, so it wasn't necessary.
Haha uh... yeah I'd need that done. I think ours was 2006. But I've also read that some will do it as part of the installation.