Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

The Beck collaboration has leaked. Probably the best thing Beck has done in years. @gaporter

Wow, that was REALLY good. I can't find confirmation on what it is because some people are saying it's a cut song from one of the last few albums and some think it's an upcoming episode of Song Machine. It gave me some Plastic Beach vibes personally. I hope it's an episode because it's definitely good enough to be one and is deserving of an official release. I know a lot of things get left on the cutting room floor but I would hope Damon didn't record a kick-ass Beck collab and just say "eh, whatever."

Wow, that was REALLY good. I can't find confirmation on what it is because some people are saying it's a cut song from one of the last few albums and some think it's an upcoming episode of Song Machine. It gave me some Plastic Beach vibes personally. I hope it's an episode because it's definitely good enough to be one and is deserving of an official release. I know a lot of things get left on the cutting room floor but I would hope Damon didn't record a kick-ass Beck collab and just say "eh, whatever."

I was thinking this was the song you mentioned in your leaked tracklist but that was supposed to be called "Founding Fathers" 🤔

I was thinking this was the song you mentioned in your leaked tracklist but that was supposed to be called "Founding Fathers" 🤔
Yeah "Founding Fathers" I think is an unreleased song that people in the fandom have been talking about, so I think that's why it was on that tracklist somebody made, but most leaked tracklists for Song Machine I've seen have been questionable. But it seems there's details that they've gotten right either out of luck or already available info

To add fuel to the fire, the ID3 tag for the beck/gorillaz track has a 2018 date.
A lot of tracks on The Now Now (from 2018) were named after places in the US, so it fits that. If it really is a song that was intended for TNN I can see why it was cut, it doesn't really gel with the mood of that album. But it would be weird to have two songs on the same album named after Hollywood.

There's also this tidbit from the Gorillaz Wiki
20200803_143350.jpg
Which, unless I'm listening to the wrong song, I think can be pretty thoroughly debunked as false considering this leaked song sounds nothing like either of those songs.

Woahhhhhh. So someone shazamed the bit of music at the end of the last episode and got this... if this is real, I am unbelievably excited
20200822_150944.jpg

It occurred to me the other day that gorillaz are one of my favorite artists / bands that I didn’t realize is one of my favorites.

not sure if anyone can relate to that sentiment, but I have realized it with another band as well.

not on the top of my radar. Interested when new music comes about but never excited. Usually goes on a binge when a new album comes out , or get a Jonesin to listen to them. yet whenever someone asks me the question of who are my top artists I wouldn’t mention them or have them come to mind.
I wish I could explain this better. Anyone have something similar happen with an artist before ?

It occurred to me the other day that gorillaz are one of my favorite artists / bands that I didn’t realize is one of my favorites.

not sure if anyone can relate to that sentiment, but I have realized it with another band as well.

not on the top of my radar. Interested when new music comes about but never excited. Usually goes on a binge when a new album comes out , or get a Jonesin to listen to them. yet whenever someone asks me the question of who are my top artists I wouldn’t mention them or have them come to mind.
I wish I could explain this better. Anyone have something similar happen with an artist before ?
I kinda feel this way with Arctic Monkeys. I'm a fan but I don't consider them a huge love of mine and I'm not sure they'd break my personal list of top ten bands and artists. And yet, I own all of their albums on vinyl. Still they aren't a band I'm always itching to hear new music from, but when a new album is announced, I'm excited to hear it. So they exist in that area for me that I think you are describing?

i’m just a huge Damon Albarn fan but I never have really considered Gorillaz on their own. Like if you were just a big fan and didn’t know any of his other work they are still such a unique and visionary and consistent presence over the last 20 years. But when I think of everything else he’s done too its incredible, one of the best to ever do it.

I kind of wish I could experience gorillaz without first being a huge blur fan because I think I would appreciate them more.

what is going on with song machine BTW? Is it going to become a full album with a physical release?

what is going on with song machine BTW? Is it going to become a full album with a physical release?
The next episode is coming sometime in September, and the plan was that a CD of Season One was shipping with the Almanac in October, but I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up getting delayed

A rumor I've seen floating around is that the rest of the season may be released as lyric videos rather than full fledged music videos, which I think is a good way to get them out on time in the face of production delays on music videos

Just did my first spin of G-Sides, I am overjoyed, the pressing sounded immaculate, so punchy. My only complaint is that they didn't include the English language version of "Latin Simone" but everything else is so well done, I can overlook it. I haven't listened to D-Sides yet but my expectations are set fairly high after G-Sides

Humanz would be ranked #5 (between D-Sides & G-Sides) if Carnvial and We Got The Power we’re both removed and were replaced by the the quirky, playful, vogueing ‘Out Of Body’ feat. Kilo Kish and Zebro Katz!

We Got The Power is a hideous song to end the album on!

But I am with you, Humanz has also grown on me! Some of the songs are large, apocalyptic and stay true to that Gorillaz sound whilst also being something new!

Humanz would be ranked #5 (between D-Sides & G-Sides) if Carnvial and We Got The Power we’re both removed and were replaced by the the quirky, playful, vogueing ‘Out Of Body’ feat. Kilo Kish and Zebro Katz!

We Got The Power is a hideous song to end the album on!

But I am with you, Humanz has also grown on me! Some of the songs are large, apocalyptic and stay true to that Gorillaz sound whilst also being something new!
And Out of Body would’ve came before ‘Sex, Murder and Party’, as Sex, Murder & Party is a lonely, sad, dark, indulgent song that is empty on the inside, but has a bit of a pretentious, club vibe to it! It’s an underrated gem! Like Out Of Body would’ve been perfect preceding that track! 😩

Out Of Body should’ve been on the album and We Got The Power should’ve been on the deluxe! 😭😭😭

Back