Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

That's tough... I think their most consistent side for side would be Plastic Beach but idk if it would have the same replay value after a while as the first two.
I have a hard time with Plastic Beach, but the ST is still on point and I still listen to it a lot. I know a lot of people weren't crazy about The Fall, but I rather like it.

I have a hard time with Plastic Beach, but the ST is still on point and I still listen to it a lot. I know a lot of people weren't crazy about The Fall, but I rather like it.
Compared to their first two, Plastic Beach isn't as eclectic but it's got some of the best writing and production of any of their albums. Plus the guest list was insane and all the features were memorable and actually given things to do (unlike Humanz). I'm curious what makes you not get into it?

Also, I find it easier to look at The Fall as an Albarn solo project than anything else. It's grown on me a lot but it was clearly more of an odds-and-ends thing than a cohesive project. But even Albarn's throwaways are usually golden so I'm not complaining at all.

If you could only get one gorillaz album on vinyl, which would you get?
Demon Days, easy. I know it's the mainstream gorillaz fan pick, but honestly, it is the best in my eyes. Nearly every song flows perfectly into one another and each one has a different vibe, a different style to it. Each one is catchy and memorable as hell, the only song I can think of not being as good is White Light, but even then it's still ok.

Demon Days, easy. I know it's the mainstream gorillaz fan pick, but honestly, it is the best in my eyes. Nearly every song flows perfectly into one another and each one has a different vibe, a different style to it. Each one is catchy and memorable as hell, the only song I can think of not being as good is White Light, but even then it's still ok.
DD might be my pick when it comes down to it as well. It's definitely going to be seen as a classic of the 2000s as time marches on, if it isn't already.
As long as we're talking about the OG pressing that keeps the song transitions intact rather than the VMP version and current re-presses that fuck up the flow of the album.

Compared to their first two, Plastic Beach isn't as eclectic but it's got some of the best writing and production of any of their albums. Plus the guest list was insane and all the features were memorable and actually given things to do (unlike Humanz). I'm curious what makes you not get into it?

Also, I find it easier to look at The Fall as an Albarn solo project than anything else. It's grown on me a lot but it was clearly more of an odds-and-ends thing than a cohesive project. But even Albarn's throwaways are usually golden so I'm not complaining at all.
I can't put my finger on it which is why I go back to it every once in a while, it might just be me, maybe one day the light bulb will go off and I'll be like.............what was there not to get, this is great. This has happened with other albums for me so it's not out of the realm of reality, lol

.........and I think you hit the nail on the head with this ;)
Albarn's throwaways are usually golden so I'm not complaining at all.

I can't put my finger on it which is why I go back to it every once in a while, it might just be me, maybe one day the light bulb will go off and I'll be like.............what was there not to get, this is great. This has happened with other albums for me so it's not out of the realm of reality, lol

.........and I think you hit the nail on the head with this ;)
There's albums like that for me too so I definitely get where you're coming from. And it's especially frustrating when it's an album everyone else seems to love and you just can't make that connection. But, like you said, maybe one day you'll have that moment where it clicks for you, who knows? 😊

And yeah Damon's b-side game has always been top tier, even in the Blur days. I hope G-Sides and D-Sides get vinyl pressings one day but I'm not sure how likely that is

I saw Gorillaz live at Merriweather Post Pavilion, and I think my love for them kinda peaked there. It was such an amazing show. Then they released The Now Now, which was meh. I don't find myself listening to them too often, which is a shame. Though I do love The Fall after grabbing it on RSD. Idk, I'm sure something can reignite my love for them.

Plastic Beach is definitely my favorite.... I'd rank the debut second and Demon Days third. People love DD but it's the one that really doesn't do much for me. I'm glad to have my VMP copy but I rarely play it, especially compared to the other two I listed.
It's nice to see the debut get some love. It's one of the records that's closest to my heart because of the impact it had on young me.

I saw Gorillaz live at Merriweather Post Pavilion, and I think my love for them kinda peaked there. It was such an amazing show. Then they released The Now Now, which was meh. I don't find myself listening to them too often, which is a shame. Though I do love The Fall after grabbing it on RSD. Idk, I'm sure something can reignite my love for them.

My wife and I saw them at Coachella when Plastic Beach was out, so maybe that's why I love that album so much. It was an amazing show. One of my top five Coachella performances for sure.

The Now Now for me was kind of like The Fall - a smaller, low-stakes album after a huge, hyped up collab-heavy event album. For an album that was basically made just as a way to apologize for the lack of Damon's vocals throughout Humanz, it could have been a lot worse imo.

Hot take answer: Humanz. Though I started being a fan when it came out, since my sister bought us Gorillaz tickets, so I am biased in that regard.
Humanz has grown on me a LOT in the two years since it's been out. There's a lot to love about it even though parts of it feel a bit like Damon going down a check list of upcoming artists he wanted to collaborate with. A big criticism was that it was overstuffed and while it was, the album was supposed to feel like a party at the end of the world, so when you look at it from that angle the claustrophobic amount of features kind of adds to that concept.

I think the big thing it taught me was to never listen to all the singles prior to the album coming out. They released like 40% of the album as singles and so that made it extra disappointing on first listen for me, especially after the seven year wait.

Humanz has grown on me a LOT in the two years since it's been out. There's a lot to love about it even though parts of it feel a bit like Damon going down a check list of upcoming artists he wanted to collaborate with. A big criticism was that it was overstuffed and while it was, the album was supposed to feel like a party at the end of the world, so when you look at it from that angle the claustrophobic amount of features kind of adds to that concept.

I think the big thing it taught me was to never listen to all the singles prior to the album coming out. They released like 40% of the album as singles and so that made it extra disappointing on first listen for me, especially after the seven year wait.

Definitely. It's very packed, but there's a lot of good material on it. It certainly made for a fantastic tour. Was awesome seeing Pusha T, Vince Staples and others on stage with Gorillaz.

White Light’s catchy as hell though!

I saw Gorillaz live in London as part of their 'Humanz' tour. I wasn't a massive fan of the album when it first came out but after seeing them live it swayed me. The line-up was utterly insane for the tour:

Mos Def
Graham Coxon
Noel Gallagher
De La Soul
Pusha T
Shaun Ryder
Vince Staples
Little Simz

Phew!!!

Back