Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

Anyone else gonna catch a screening of the new documentary next month? I wasn't going to bother trying to get tickets until I realized a theater only an hour away from me was playing it, but now I'm hyped!
Regal headquarters is in my hometown of Knoxville. They will have a showing and I plan on going.

Just a quick thought regarding the last two Gorillaz albums: take the best tracks from Humanz & The Now Now & put them together & you'd have a great album; fine collaborators & enough Damon to keep it coherently Gorillaz.

It's come to my mind that it's an embarrassment Demon Days and Plastic Beach have aged as well as they have. They're albums that stand on the strength of their composition alone but also which, in one case largely critical of the nature of the Iraq war and in the other materialism's casual disregard of the environment, should seem largely pragmatic when they're a 15 and 10 years old respectively, and yet still today can be listned to and have an immediate "Aw shit, this is how it be" reaction. Depressing and awe-inspiring at the same time.

Their best song in a veryyyyyy long time!
I've been listening to it on repeat since yesterday. This is the first Gorillaz single in a while that's clicked 100% immediately. Most of the last few albums had to grow on me before I could really appreciate them but this one grabbed me on first listen. I love the punk rock influences and all of the unique and quirky sounds all over the track, it's surprisingly layered for such a seemingly straightforward song. I can only hope the rest of Song Machine keeps the quality coming!

I've been listening to it on repeat since yesterday. This is the first Gorillaz single in a while that's clicked 100% immediately. Most of the last few albums had to grow on me before I could really appreciate them but this one grabbed me on first listen. I love the punk rock influences and all of the unique and quirky sounds all over the track, it's surprisingly layered for such a seemingly straightforward song. I can only hope the rest of Song Machine keeps the quality coming!
The whole song machine is confusing to me...just release a damn album already 😂😂

The whole song machine is confusing to me...just release a damn album already 😂😂
I like the idea of a song a month in a more freeform, playlist kind of way. I imagine that Damon won't miss out on the opportunity to compile all the songs into one physical release in some form or another whenever "season one" is done. I'm just amazed that new music is coming so soon at all... the Reject False Icons documentary felt to me like they were closing the door on the Humanz/The Now Now phase but I guess that Damon wasn't kidding about them not wanting to take a five year-break like they had in the past.

So how about those RSD releases, huh?

I am curious what the tracklist for the G-Sides vinyl looks like, there were a few different tracklists for different countries and so I wonder which one they'll use.

My guess is they'll use the Japanese/UK one which unfortunately omits the great English language version of "Latin Simone" but does include "Dracula" and "Left Hand Suzuki Method" which were left off the US version (because they were bonus tracks to the US release of the debut) and replaced with a shitty 7-minute remix of "19-2000". The original version does have a radio edit of "Rock the House" which seems kind of redundant, my best case scenario is they use the UK/Japanese tracklist and just swap the "Rock the House" radio edit with "Latin Simone"

Back