Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

Humanz would be ranked #5 (between D-Sides & G-Sides) if Carnvial and We Got The Power we’re both removed and were replaced by the the quirky, playful, vogueing ‘Out Of Body’ feat. Kilo Kish and Zebro Katz!

We Got The Power is a hideous song to end the album on!

But I am with you, Humanz has also grown on me! Some of the songs are large, apocalyptic and stay true to that Gorillaz sound whilst also being something new!
I wasnt big on "We Got the Power" when they first released it as a single before the album. It has grown on me though, it's a song of hope and positivity after a very dark album and I've come to appreciate it.

I'm surprised you don't like "Carnival" 😮 I think that song is really great, although it is a bit repetitive I guess. It's a good intro to the darker, second half of the album.

The deluxe song I can't believe they left off is "Ticker Tape"... that song is gorgeous and it being relegated to a bonus track definitely made me go 🤨

Seems to be confirmed via some sleuthing the next episode of Song Machine will be released on September 9

Well well well... this might actually be real. If so... WOW we've got quite a bit to look forward to.

> feat Elton John and 6LACK

c99b153e6817acc7d1e0f2daf95b25f9.gif

Last edited:
That's a crazy one, but JPEGMAFIA and CHAI is the one that's got me like
View attachment 65358
Spoiler tagged the my comment too cause I guess that's good etiquette haha, that's also an insane collab... The G-Sides RSD release has really rekindled my Gorillaz love, they were my first "big" concert when I saw them on the Plastic Beach tour and Demon Days was one of the first CDs I ever bought, I had the Live At The Manchester Opera House DVD and can't tell you how many times I watched it haha. Must revisit their most recent 2 albums cause I never gave them much of a chance...

Spoiler tagged the my comment too cause I guess that's good etiquette haha, that's also an insane collab... The G-Sides RSD release has really rekindled my Gorillaz love, they were my first "big" concert when I saw them on the Plastic Beach tour and Demon Days was one of the first CDs I ever bought, I had the Live At The Manchester Opera House DVD and can't tell you how many times I watched it haha. Must revisit their most recent 2 albums cause I never gave them much of a chance...
Gorillaz were the first band I really loved, as a young kid in the 2000s, the animated music videos caught my eye and the idea of a fictional band really captured my imagination, but the music itself definitely left an undeniable impact on me. I hold those first three albums in very high regard. I owned pretty much all the CDs and DVDs and still have them. That live Demon Days DVD is something else.

Humanz and The Now Now are very divisive, I recommend checking them out but you kind of have to know what to expect going in, which is a benefit a lot of fans, including myself, didn't have which led to expectations not being met. I think they are much better albums than they're given credit for, though.

But yes - these RSD releases, as well as the overall quality of Song Machine so far, has helped remind me in a big way why I loved them so much in the first place. 2020 has been a shit year but the one consistently great thing about it for me is Gorillaz.

Gorillaz were the first band I really loved, as a young kid in the 2000s, the animated music videos caught my eye and the idea of a fictional band really captured my imagination
Are u me?

Humanz and The Now Now are very divisive, I recommend checking them out but you kind of have to know what to expect going in, which is a benefit a lot of fans, including myself, didn't have which led to expectations not being met. I think they are much better albums than they're given credit for, though.
Yeah for me it was the disappointment of Humanz that kinda deflated me a bit, especially cause there were so many featured artists I loved on it (Vince, Danny, Kelela, Popcaan, Kali Uchis, Pusha, Mavis Staples) but I think I only ever listened to it twice. I liked The Now Now more than Humanz on the few listens I gave it toot never really got into it.

Yeah for me it was the disappointment of Humanz that kinda deflated me a bit, especially cause there were so many featured artists I loved on it (Vince, Danny, Kelela, Popcaan, Kali Uchis, Pusha, Mavis Staples) but I think I only ever listened to it twice. I liked The Now Now more than Humanz on the few listens I gave it toot never really got into it.
Humanz was a disappointment for me when it first came out for two main reasons: 1) it wasn't what I expected from the first full length Gorillaz album in seven years and 2) they released most of the best songs as singles before the album. It grew on me over time and I find it a pretty good album, but still not quite on par with the initial run they had. I like the concept behind it and the songs that hit are great, but it does have a lot of flaws. I liked Humanz and The Now Now but both those albums back to back left me in a weird state. But Song Machine has been a huge return to form imo, it seems like Damon and co. took a lot of the lessons they learned from the production of those two albums and applied it and are putting out some of the strongest Gorillaz material in a very long time

Humanz was a disappointment for me when it first came out for two main reasons: 1) it wasn't what I expected from the first full length Gorillaz album in seven years and 2) they released most of the best songs as singles before the album. It grew on me over time and I find it a pretty good album, but still not quite on par with the initial run they had. I like the concept behind it and the songs that hit are great, but it does have a lot of flaws. I liked Humanz and The Now Now but both those albums back to back left me in a weird state. But Song Machine has been a huge return to form imo, it seems like Damon and co. took a lot of the lessons they learned from the production of those two albums and applied it and are putting out some of the strongest Gorillaz material in a very long time
I was a HUGE fan of Gorillaz growing up. I always wanted to see them live. They did a run of shows at The Apollo Theater when I was in college but I couldn’t afford the tickets at the time and then they just stopped playing live it seemed. I kind of fell off around Humanz too after being a huge fan for years. I didn’t hate it, but it was just okay. I didn’t really like The Now Now either at first...but two summers ago my lady and I went to a music festival in NYC during the summer. It was crazy hot out and we were watching The Internet perform and all of a sudden I noticed she got really pale and looked like she was going to pass out. We were near the front of the crowd and it was packed so trying to get her out was a nightmare. Nobody would move and thought she was just drunk but we hadn’t even had much to drink. Think she was just really dehydrated. Anywho, we finally get out of the crowd and find a medic who helps me get her to the medic tent. They gave her some water and after a few minutes she was okay. So I took her home and the next day she felt so bad that we had missed the other bands but it wasn’t that huge of a deal to me and I insisted it was fine.

Fast forward a few months later, she says she has surprise plans for us. So we grab dinner somewhere in Brooklyn and hop in a cab. We pull up to Barclays Center and turns out Gorillaz are playing. She got us tickets because she knew I really liked The Internet and she felt bad that we had missed their set at the music festival. And they were opening for Gorillaz so she got us tickets! The show was incredible and seeing them perform live made me like The Now Now and Humanz more. Humanz is still my least favorite album I think but I do like some tracks on it.

Back