Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

Not sure how real this is, but this has been making rounds as a leak for the next episode of Song Machine, has supposed details on the song name, featured artists and release date
20200329_180202.jpg

I've loved every single that they have put out for Song Machine so far but something about this newest one with Tony Allen and Skepta has a ton of replay value. Maybe it's because its shorter and more to the point than the others, but the way the track is constructed is very engaging to my ears. I like how the production subtly intensifies as the track progresses, it almost feels like a return of the subtly sinister touches to the production of the debut and especially Demon Days.

Something interesting to point out is that Janelle Monae is listed on tomorrow's show (5/19) along with Gorillaz as a "musical guest." If they are premiering episode 4 via Kimmel (pure speculation), then is it possible that Monae is the guest artist on the next song? Probably a stretch but I'd certainly be interested to hear a collaboration between Gorillaz and Monae, I feel like they could do something very creative together
13vcizfr6nz41.png

Something interesting to point out is that Janelle Monae is listed on tomorrow's show (5/19) along with Gorillaz as a "musical guest." If they are premiering episode 4 via Kimmel (pure speculation), then is it possible that Monae is the guest artist on the next song? Probably a stretch but I'd certainly be interested to hear a collaboration between Gorillaz and Monae, I feel like they could do something very creative together
View attachment 47728

Janelle is probably on to promote her role in the second season of the TV show Homecoming

Cross over post from pre-order thread

Also available through their store

This is to ship in October and says it comes with a CD of Season One of Song Machine, so the conclusion to draw from that is that Season One will be done by October?

I'm curious to see if "How Far?" will be included on the physical releases of Episode One, because it's technically part of Song Machine but it's not an episode. I think it's a shame if not, because it's become a favorite of mine. The combo of Tony Allen's groove and Skepta's flow and the sinister production forming a claustrophobic cocoon around the whole track keeps me coming back to it, it's short but it's such an engrossing listen.

Noticed the Rough Trade listing for the D-Sides vinyl is "3xLP"... that's odd because that either means they're cramming the 53-minute disc of B-sides onto one record or cramming the hour-long disc of remixes onto one record, or they're spreading just one of them across three records, OR they have omitted some tracks... or maybe I'm putting too much thought into it.

I'm just curious to see what these releases look like, I've wanted both of them on vinyl for a long, long time and so I'm going to be inspecting every detail 👀

LOL these Gorillaz "leaks" can be a good source of comedy sometimes. Putting aside that there's only supposed to be 10 episodes this season, I just cannot imagine them getting Björk AND Daft Punk on the same song. Just one of those would be a huge enough get, but both on the same song? What would that even sound like? Also people seem to be convinced theres gonna be a song with Massive Attack this season and I'm not 100% sure where that rumor comes from. Damon did feature on a MA song as 2D back in the day so I guess it's not out of the question but still. The problem a lot of these "leaks" have is they are way too star-studded to be believable and most of them just come off as if someone put together a list of their dream features. The features on Song Machine so far haven't been huge names on par with the rest of the names listed here, I think the upcoming ScHoolboy feature is the biggest get of the project so far.
20200719_234151.jpg

Relistening to Heaven to a Tortured Mind again today made me realize how awesome a Gorillaz and Yves Tumor collab would be. Seems like the kind of artist Damon would like to work with and I have to imagine whatever would result from that combo would be pretty creative and interesting.

Back