Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

I saw Gorillaz live in London as part of their 'Humanz' tour. I wasn't a massive fan of the album when it first came out but after seeing them live it swayed me. The line-up was utterly insane for the tour:

Mos Def
Graham Coxon
Noel Gallagher
De La Soul
Pusha T
Shaun Ryder
Vince Staples
Little Simz

Phew!!!

Did Noel just turn up to do the inaudible backing vocals on We Got The Power? Cuz if that’s it it’s kinda brilliant and funny!

In direct contradiction to most people on here I really don’t like Plastic Beach, it’s my second least favourite album of theirs, just Humanz below it. I find it an unfocused mess. Love Superfast Jellyfish though, but then Gruff Rhys is on it...

Demon Days stands head an shoulders above them all for me with their debut second.

Also find it comical that there’s a Gorillaz thread before a blur thread because for me:

blur >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gorillaz...

Also find it comical that there’s a Gorillaz thread before a blur thread because for me:

blur >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gorillaz...

While I agree with you 100%, it makes sense because Gorillaz is so much bigger in the U.S. than Blur ever were. I'd say that most people really only know "Song 2" and know it mostly as "Woo Hoo"

I'm pretty sure that Oasis were the only 90's BritPop act to really have a lot of success over here.

It’s weird to hear that from your side. Because the narrative from here, coming from the band and the media, is that oasis fucked up in America too often and categorically failed over there. Conversely blur, admittedly later in their career after their self titled album, would have been considered to have done much better haha!

It’s weird to hear that from your side. Because the narrative from here, coming from the band and the media, is that oasis fucked up in America too often and categorically failed over there. Conversely blur, admittedly later in their career after their self titled album, would have been considered to have done much better haha!
Its been that way forever. As a teen in the early 90's, I loved me some madchester sound - and unless you had your ears locked in to "college radio" here, you did not hear it on mainstream air waves. I am just now getting into Blur. Most likely bc of N&G and VMP forum.

Note to self: go play some Stone Roses...today!

Last edited:
Its been that way forever. As a teen in the early 90's, I loved me some madchester sound - and unless you had your ears locked in to "college radio" here, you did not hear it on mainstream air waves. I am just now getting into Blur. Most likely bc of N&G and VMP forum.

KROQ in L.A. played quite a bit of Blur. That's where I first heard "There's No Other Way". And "Girls & Boys" was a huge modern rock hit when it was out. And MTV played their videos too, but on certain shows like 120 Minutes and Alternative Nation. I remember going out and buying The Great Escape after seeing the videos for "Charmless Man" and "Country House"

KROQ in L.A. played quite a bit of Blur. That's where I first heard "There's No Other Way". And "Girls & Boys" was a huge modern rock hit when it was out. And MTV played their videos too, but on certain shows like 120 Minutes and Alternative Nation. I remember going out and buying The Great Escape after seeing the videos for "Charmless Man" and "Country House"
I was doing other things with my life at that time, and was at that age where 120 minutes were not a priority. I am playing make up. I picked up Magic Whip. But I am seeking another to add to the collection. Recommend another blur album please.

I want to come back to this statement. I was a whopping 18 years old in 1992. During the 1989-1993 phase, I stayed up late every Sunday to catch 120 minutes. Also, we have a great college radio station here in Knoxville UTK 90.3. I listed to it constantly. If we did not listen to these programs, you caught zero UK music here in the USA. At least in my small town of Knoxville, TN.

Oasis were wayyyy bigger in the states. They had too 10 albums and tons of radio play, toured arenas etc. Even after years of anticipation for the reunion, Blur only played 2 US shows in support of Magic Whip. I went to the Hollywood Bowl show and Damon was definitely upset it wasn’t sold out.

If Oasis do reunite I think the tour will do huge business in the states.

Last edited:
I'll put in another nod for Plastic Beach as the best Gorillaz album. Humanz is the worst but the tour was excellent as other people have mentioned in this thread.

It took me a while to really give The Now Now a chance, the sink of Humanz was still fresh. That record really grew on me and I look at it as more of the follow-up to Everyday Robots as opposed to a Gorillaz album. It eventually became one of my most played albums last year.

I was doing other things with my life at that time, and was at that age where 120 minutes were not a priority. I am playing make up. I picked up Magic Whip. But I am seeking another to add to the collection. Recommend another blur album please.
While I wouldn't start with this one, 13 is definitely a masterpiece.

Also, on the topic of Blur vs Oasis from an American who grew up at a time when both bands were past their peak in the UK, I can definitely say that Oasis are far more well-known and remembered in the US than Blur (from what I've seen at least). I think it was just easier for Americans to digest the straightforward Beatles-esque rock of the Gallaghers than it was for them to listen to music that was intrinsically tied to British culture from the ground up.

Back