Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

Actually PJ Harvey would be a pretty awesome collaborator. Also @gaporter what about Björk? Can't see it, or Yorke for that matter, happening but it’d be interesting!
Björk is one of the names that pops up on fake Gorillaz "leaked" track lists time and time again. I can see why, her unique vocals and eccentricity would seem to lend themselves well to a Gorillaz feature and she definitely seems like someone Damon would jump at the chance to collaborate with, but I just don't think it's very likely all things considered. The only other name that I also pop up on fake leaks every time without fail is Daft Punk, which again, seems like it would be a great fit but I also don't see it happening.

That said - I'd be more than happy for my skepticism to be proven wrong on both instances. A Björk and Gorillaz collab would probably make me faint, especially if it's for a more dancy song like a throwback to Debut. Then again I'd be happy for a more ethereal Björk feature as well... either way, Damon + Björk = happygap

A fun idea for a post to pass the time, some reflections on the individual songs so far

"Strange Timez" - this one grows on me more and more. I admittedly wasn't too crazy about it when it was released as a single but knowing it was functioning as the opening track made me a bit more forgiving of it. I think it does a great job as an album opener and I like what Robert Smith brings to the track. The build up to the dancey second half is really nice and it's fairly atmospheric but it's not a track I feel like I would listen to much on it's own outside of the album.

"The Valley of the Pagans" - I've loved this one since the demo of it was leaked a few months ago, I think Beck is such a no-brainer for a Gorillaz collab it's kind of insane it took this long to happen. And it's really cool that they managed to revive Midnite Vultures-era Beck for this rather than tapping him to do a humdrum ballad type song. It's really catchy and infectious and a ton of fun! And it's got hooks for days 🔥🔥🔥

"The Lost Chord" - this is becoming a favorite of mine, I love the vibe of it and it's just so pleasing to the ears. Damon comes through with one of his best vocal performances on a Gorillaz track in a while and Leee John's contributions sound really nice too. I agree with the Plastic Beach comparisons I've seen for this song, especially with the ocean and bird sound effects near the end. I find it interesting that after a really upbeat and eccentric funky track, they follow it up with a song that's got just as much groove to it but it is a lot more relaxed.

"Pac-Man" - I love this track so muuuuuch, it feels like a modern take on a Demon Days era song to me and the production is so bouncy and fun to listen to. ScHoolboy Q's feature is one of the best on the album for me, his flow goes so well over the beat it's ridiculous.

"Chalk Tablet Towers" - it's so good 😭 this is definitely one of my favorites, the juxtaposition of the upbeat instrumental and the heartbreaking lyrics is so effective and the way it leads into the lyrics of the next song is brilliant. I love the catchy refrains all throughout the song and it just really tugs on my heartstrings the way some of the best Gorillaz songs do. St. Vincent definitely takes more of a background role in her feature but it also wouldn't be nearly as good of a song without her presence.

"The Pink Phantom" - when this was released as a single at the beginning of the month, it overtook "Pac-Man" as my favorite single from the album so far. This song is just so hard to put into words for me. The only descriptor I can think of to do it justice is "dreamlike" which is fitting for the song's lyrics. This is for me one of those magic moments in the Gorillaz discography where they take two artists you would never expect to see together (Elton John and 6LACK) and somehow manage to get incredible performances out of both of them while blending it into a truly unique song that defies categorization. It's a song I have a lot of love for and something about it hits me very deep and resonates on a personal level, they really stuck gold here imo.

"Aries" - I don't think I'm as crazy about this song as a lot of other Gorillaz fans tend to be, but I do like it a lot. The production is where this one shines and Peter Hook obviously makes the song what it is with his contributions. I think the lyrics are pretty great too. It's the best New Order song that New Order never made lol

"Friday 13th" - imo this is the big underdog of the whole album. It got a pretty muted reception in comparison to the first few singles when it was released as a single and a lot of people are quick to call it the worst of the bunch. However it has grown on me immensely since it first came out. It's definitely a strange track and something very different but it gives off this really druggy and hazy vibe that almost reminds me of the self-titled album. It wasn't an immediate hit but it's proven itself to be a hell of a grower, but Octavian's delivery won't be for everyone and I get why the song doesn't work for some.

"Dead Butterflies" - this track is great and hearing a Mike Will Made It producer tag on a Gorillaz track is such a surreal feeling. But it's one of those risks that really worked out as his influence makes this song stand out in the best way possible. Damon's vocals here are impeccable and it's such a chill and beautiful track that it's hard to get sucked into. I'm not familiar with Roxani Arias but I enjoyed what she brought to the song. I was excited to hear Kano on a Gorillaz track again and at first, I wasn't into his part, it almost sounded like his flow was actively going against the beat. But with repeated listens I was able to attune my ears to what he was doing with his verse and now it's one of my favorite parts of the song.

"Désolé" - this song is as great now as it was back in February. It's taking time for me to get used to the extended album version after listening to the single edit all year but I like the inclusion of the longer version, it adds to the epic feel of the song. The production on this song is so warm and crisp and Fatoumata Diawara's vocals are amazing, it's a really lovely tune

"Momentary Bliss" - I had mixed feelings on this song being the album closer at first but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. I see it as similar to how "M1A1" ends the first album. Also, with it being the first single to be released, it being the final track feels like things coming full circle after the nine month journey we've taken to get this album. Imagine back in January when this song was released, none of us could have imagined what kind of world we'd be in by the time the album finally dropped in October. But nostalgic ruminations aside, I do still love this song. It's such a genuinely weird track, bursting at the seams with different effects and voice samples, it almost has a ramshackle quality to it that makes it feel like the song could just fall apart at any moment up until you get the punky anthemic chorus. slowthai does his thing masterfully on this track and Slaves' pleasant sounding refrain is a nice ingredient in the mix. I think it does a fairly good job of capping off the project and Season One as a whole. It ends the same way it began 😵

Yeesh that ended up being way longer than intended 😬 sorry for word vomiting about the new album! In case you couldn't tell, I kind of like it. 😉 this is a very exciting time for Gorillaz and it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to think that they've made such a great return to form as this. I eagerly await and look forward to whatever Season Two has in store 😊

anyone else find it weird that p4k hasn’t reviewed song machine at all? honestly, p4k’s opinion on gorillaz has always been kind of lame, but to just not review song machine is a worse disrespect than a 6.8 😂

My deluxe edition of Song Machine came in today. Halfway through and it sounds great. But I can't for the life of me figure out the download code. The site is redeem.warnerartists.com/songmachine and it says I need to sign in but doesn't have a place to register. I made a wmg account using the help website but that apparently isn't the same thing. Anyone have any ideas?

the link in your download code is incomplete, it should read:

redeem.warnerartists.com/songmachineseason1

Would be cool if CS would email me back about the deluxe download card debacle

I had the same problem. On the card, there is a website for trouble with downloads. Customer Service - Official Webstore Their website sucks, but if you go to their faqs page and scroll down to the downloads section, there's a link to fill a form.
The captcha is a pain in the ass, it took me about 5 tries to get it (because it only wants the letters?) Anyway, they responded in about a day requesting a photo of the download card. After replying, it took another day or so and they sent a link for the download. It worked.

I hope are able to get it sorted.
Cheers.

Starting to get nervous that’s my deluxe is lost somewhere...last update was a week ago when it arrived in Pittsburgh🤬
I've sold a couple things on Discogs recently and the tracking sucks right now. Usually it will appear stuck somewhere but suddenly one day it will be at the delivery post office.

I've sold a couple things on Discogs recently and the tracking sucks right now. Usually it will appear stuck somewhere but suddenly one day it will be at the delivery post office.
Mani hope you’re right...meanwhile my SOV order from Tuesday is already out for delivery🤯

👀
lbPSLMW.jpg

Last edited:
Back