Tomorrow Comes Today (The Gorillaz Thread)

Here's a cliche but still fun discussion question: who would you like to see brought on for Song Machine Season Two?

I think Yves Tumor would be great, they seem like a perfect match for a Gorillaz collab. As for the legacy artist side of things (such as Robert Smith or Elton John) it would be neat if they could bring on someone like Kate Bush, though not sure how likely that is. Then again if you'd told me last year the next Gorillaz album would have Elton John on it I don't know if I would have believed you

I always think it'd be cool to bring Del back as a bit of fan service, but I don't see it happening anytime soon

yo, i was literally thinking of asking this exact same question today!! looks like you beat me to it! :LOL:

here's my wishlist for what I want in future Gorillaz collaborations!!

NEEDS TO HAPPEN

• Manu Chao --- at this point in the Gorillaz canon, I cannot believe this hasn't happened yet
  • Robbie Williams
  • Paul McCartney
  • Tyler, the creator (sir, pls spare feature 🥺🤲)

Would be happy about it, but not holding my breath on these happening soon:
  • Kevin Shields and/or Brian Eno
  • Young Thug
  • Frank Ocean
  • Code Orange

Here's a cliche but still fun discussion question: who would you like to see brought on for Song Machine Season Two?

I think Yves Tumor would be great, they seem like a perfect match for a Gorillaz collab. As for the legacy artist side of things (such as Robert Smith or Elton John) it would be neat if they could bring on someone like Kate Bush, though not sure how likely that is. Then again if you'd told me last year the next Gorillaz album would have Elton John on it I don't know if I would have believed you

I always think it'd be cool to bring Del back as a bit of fan service, but I don't see it happening anytime soon
There's a rumor floating around the interweb that Gorillaz are working on a collab with Kevin Parker (Tame Impala) which could be featured on a possible Song Machine Season 2.

I could also picture collabs with the likes of Paul McCartney, James Blake, Romy of the xx, Tyler the Creator, Julian Casablancas and James Murphy to name just a few.

There's a rumor floating around the interweb that Gorillaz are working on a collab with Kevin Parker (Tame Impala) which could be featured on a possible Song Machine Season 2.

I could also picture collabs with the likes of Paul McCartney, James Blake, Romy of the xx, Tyler the Creator, Julian Casablancas and James Murphy to name just a few.

the song "DoYaThing" has Andre 3000 and James Murphy on it! honestly, Murphy's falsetto singing in the chorus is something I really wish he would bring to his own music in LCD bc it sounds nice!!

here's my wishlist for what I want in future Gorillaz collaborations!!

NEEDS TO HAPPEN

• Manu Chao --- at this point in the Gorillaz canon, I cannot believe this hasn't happened yet
  • Robbie Williams
  • Paul McCartney
  • Tyler, the creator (sir, pls spare feature 🥺🤲)

Would be happy about it, but not holding my breath on these happening soon:
  • Kevin Shields and/or Brian Eno
  • Young Thug
  • Frank Ocean
  • Code Orange
It's pretty ridiculous that Tyler hasn't been featured yet, his whole vibe would pair with Gorillaz so well that it just feels too obvious. You can even do a six degrees of separation thing with him working with Kali Uchis who was all over Humanz.

I thought about Frank Ocean earlier, and he's one of those flip-flop cases where it's just as likely that he could do a collab and that he wouldn't do one, I could hear an argument either way

I wouldn't be mad if this had been included on the main album

The rest of the deluxe tracks are just okay to me so far tho. I haven't listened to them as much as the standard so they will probably grow on me with time. I still love "How Far?" as much as I did when it came out, but having heard the full album now, I can see why it was left as a bonus track, it doesn't really fit the vibe of the main album imo

I agree, this was standout track for me too. Honestly, I wish the Gorillaz would do away with the "deluxe" versions of albums. They only upload the deluxe to streaming, which is how most people experience the album. I actually think anyone late to the train is more likely to purchase the "regular" album and end up confused about why it's missing 22 mins and 6 tracks. It still all feels very cohesive, but it does end a little abruptly.

All in all, I wish they'd get better about sitting on songs until they find projects where they fit best vs doing this deluxe stack of songs that make the most common distribution of streaming feel like a potentially bloated album. Go back and listen to single LP hit albums from the 70-80s. They don't feel bloated, and they don't feel short. They feel like they just rocked your world for 45 mins to an hour. I wish more artists would get back to that. (Another reason to love KGATLW)

It is bizarre that they posted that fan edit of the Currents album cover and it never lead to anything so far. I'd say the likelihood of a Tame Impala feature for Season Two is fairly high. I'm not the biggest Tame Impala fan but there's enough songs by them (him?) that I like to say that a collab could be interesting.

I'd love to hear a James Blake collab, especially hearing some of the more soulful and melancholic cuts from the new album, I think they could make a really beautiful song together

Last edited:
I agree, this was standout track for me too. Honestly, I wish the Gorillaz would do away with the "deluxe" versions of albums. They only upload the deluxe to streaming, which is how most people experience the album. I actually think anyone late to the train is more likely to purchase the "regular" album and end up confused about why it's missing 22 mins and 6 tracks. It still all feels very cohesive, but it does end a little abruptly.

All in all, I wish they'd get better about sitting on songs until they find projects where they fit best vs doing this deluxe stack of songs that make the most common distribution of streaming feel like a potentially bloated album. Go back and listen to single LP hit albums from the 70-80s. They don't feel bloated, and they don't feel short. They feel like they just rocked your world for 45 mins to an hour. I wish more artists would get back to that. (Another reason to love KGATLW)

A lot of that was the constraints of the medium. 60s & 70s limited to roughly 18 mins a side and unless you’re the biggest deal, and there weren’t too many of them, there’s no way you were getting a second LP to go over into. It’s also why all the best singles are roughly 3 mins. It’s not realistic to expect modern bands to live and die by those constraints, even if I do agree with deluxe tracks not necessarily ever flowing from an album and that streaming/CDs should clearly have 2 editions and the deluxe one should clearly show or have the extra tracks as disc 2 or whatever.

Yeah I agree that its wack that the deluxe is the only version on Spotify and the same thing happened with Humanz. People were complaining about how long the album was when it first came out even though 20 minutes of what they were complaining about was the deluxe tracks. The actual standard album was shorter than all of the first three Gorillaz albums.

I tend to feel that 35-45 is the perfect length for an album, and very few albums tend to justify being over an hour long. That extends to Song Machine where the standard 11-track album is a concise piece of work with really no filler and just single after single. Then you get to the bonus tracks and you're like "ah so this is where the filler went." It's not that they are bad songs at all but there is definitely a disparity in quality between them and the main "episodes"

For collabs, I totally agree with Tyler the Creator. He was one of the first that came to my mind.
Also love the Thundercat suggestions. I didn't think of that, but it seems like a really natural fit.
If Eminem could get a little more conceptual (less personal) and clean it up a little I think his style could lend itself well to the Gorillaz sound and world. He used to be very good about dark themes with peppy/upbeat music. Might be too late for him to really make it work with his current style though.

I wish they'd bring back Benjamin Clementine. His vocal performance was great in Hallelujah Money, but the production on that track felt lacking and underwritten to me. Or maybe the follow up of We Got the Power just ruined it for me. That's probably my all time least favorite Gorillaz track. Either way, I'd love to see another Clementine/Gorillaz track.

David Byrne also feels like a pretty good fit for them, both lyrically and musically. Dave Bayley of Glass Animals. Jack White has done some good collabs and fits their general aesthetic well too.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some queens of pop stretch their creativity a little to find a way into the Gorillaz world. Katy Perry, Lana Del Ray, Gaga, Billie, Miley. I think any of those ladies and possibly some others could be interesting additions to the mix. Billie and Gaga feel like the most natural fits.

For collabs, I totally agree with Tyler the Creator. He was one of the first that came to my mind.
Also love the Thundercat suggestions. I didn't think of that, but it seems like a really natural fit.
If Eminem could get a little more conceptual (less personal) and clean it up a little I think his style could lend itself well to the Gorillaz sound and world. He used to be very good about dark themes with peppy/upbeat music. Might be too late for him to really make it work with his current style though.

I wish they'd bring back Benjamin Clementine. His vocal performance was great in Hallelujah Money, but the production on that track felt lacking and underwritten to me. Or maybe the follow up of We Got the Power just ruined it for me. That's probably my all time least favorite Gorillaz track. Either way, I'd love to see another Clementine/Gorillaz track.

David Byrne also feels like a pretty good fit for them, both lyrically and musically. Dave Bayley of Glass Animals. Jack White has done some good collabs and fits their general aesthetic well too.

I also wouldn't mind seeing some queens of pop stretch their creativity a little to find a way into the Gorillaz world. Katy Perry, Lana Del Ray, Gaga, Billie, Miley. I think any of those ladies and possibly some others could be interesting additions to the mix. Billie and Gaga feel like the most natural fits.
If it was 2005ish I probably would have been all over an Eminem and Gorillaz collab but Eminem just doesn't interest me at all these days. I can see it working if he brought back a more cartoonish flow like he used to do but I just don't think modern day Eminem is that kind of artist anymore. Funnily enough there actually was a Gorillaz and D12 collab ("911") but Eminem wasn't on it

I'd be down for more Benjamin Clementine, I really liked "Hallelujah Money" but it was a very strange song, it could be interesting for them to bring him back for a song that isn't quite as out there. Then again, he's a pretty out there artist so maybe that would be missing the whole point! On a similar note, I feel like another song with Grace Jones would be nice, she was really underused on "Charger" imo. And David Byrne is a great choice, I'm surprised he hasnt come up sooner!

If they start bringing in queens of pop, they have to get Rina Sawayama on a track. Actually that wouldn't be too horribly surprising considering Damon likes getting up and coming British acts on tracks, and as a pop artist she's a lot more on the offbeat and experimental side which gels well with a project like Gorillaz

I remember there was speculation of a Death Grips collaboration because there was a fake festival poster they made where Death Grips showed up twice. Honestly I can't even imagine what that would sound like and I don't think it's super likely but I'd certainly be interested to hear it. It would blow my mind to see two of my favorite bands of all time together like that lol

Back