This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 29
Them: “Only two copies left of the overpriced poop-colored vinyl variant of this overly-varianted album! DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS”
You:

tina-fey-high-five.gif

Okay, just a little more neurophysiology: our reward centers in our brains have become flooded with dopamine every time we make a vinyl purchase. Why else would an animated GIF of Tina Fey giving herself a high-five still make us feel so happy (if you don’t get this reference, consider yourself lucky)? What is a record that you purchased simply out of impulsivity?

Joining VMP made me super impulsive. I'm less so now, but every now and again I'll get an email and have to pre-order.

This one did get me, though....and the limited to 50 may have contributed a bit - and yet it appears they still have some left for sale..

I went in blind but think it's my favorite reissue of the year.

Roslyn & Charles – Everything Must Change
Real Gone Music – RGM-1523, 1981/2023

Pink variant limited to 50 copies.

Cut by Michael Fanos at Well Made Music
Pressed at Gotta Groove Records

8CKGYv.jpg

vnd98S.jpg

November 30
“Looks like we made it. Look how far we’ve come, my babyyyy”

You did it! Nice work. A closing selection is always tough. If your life were a TV series, what song would you choose to play right before the credits roll at the end of your finale? Digital high-five if you include a link so that we can listen to it and cry about how our favorite show is now over (or complain about how there were so many loose-ends that were never resolved).

Ok...so "Closure" - Episode 11 of Season 7 - wasn't the "end" of X-Files, but it was essentially the end of Mulder's story line about his sister.

Moby – Play
Little Idiot – IDIOT061, 1999/2018

VMP Record Of The Month - Jan 2018

Pressed at GZ

MHRNVQB.jpg

ZnFQhJ4.jpg

November 30
You did it! Nice work. A closing selection is always tough. If your life were a TV series, what song would you choose to play right before the credits roll at the end of your finale? Digital high-five if you include a link so that we can listen to it and cry about how our favorite show is now over (or complain about how there were so many loose-ends that were never resolved).

Neil Young "Harvest" (1972 Reprise; 2009 reissue)
"Old Man" would be on the closing credits of the final episode of the super exciting and dramatic story of my life as told in the HBO TV series, "It's Turbo, Baby". Intrigue, action, chemical reactions, mystery, good food and.... records. What more is there?

IMG_0713.JPG

November 30

I'd go with the title track off this album. It's such a great mediation on release and reassurance.

Tom Petty ~ Wildflowers & All The Rest

IMG_4739.jpeg

November 30

Drive-By Truckers – A Blessing And A Curse
View attachment 189154

Remember, it ain't too late to take a deep breath.
and throw yourself into it with everything you got.
It's great to be alive!

You get an extra 🔥 for that copy of Ed Piskor's Hip Hop Family Tree hiding back there!

November 29
Them: “Only two copies left of the overpriced poop-colored vinyl variant of this overly-varianted album! DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS”
You:

tina-fey-high-five.gif

Okay, just a little more neurophysiology: our reward centers in our brains have become flooded with dopamine every time we make a vinyl purchase. Why else would an animated GIF of Tina Fey giving herself a high-five still make us feel so happy (if you don’t get this reference, consider yourself lucky)? What is a record that you purchased simply out of impulsivity?

Noah Kahan - Cape Elizabeth

Picked this up on RSD because the kids were telling me about him. It’s fine.

IMG_0844.jpeg

November 30

City and Colour - Little Hell

Grand Optimist kinda hits my spot. Maybe don’t always show it, but run that way for sure.

IMG_0845.jpeg

November 30
If your life were a TV series, what song would you choose to play right before the credits roll at the end of your finale?

Nick Cave - Jubilee Street from Push The Sky Away
IMG_0082.jpg
A big climactic ending, tension building for the first part of the song and then all hell breaks loose. Bodies everywhere, justice delivered.
top-100-movies-1990s-hardboiled.jpg

On record this is a bit of a slow burner and last about 6 minutes but live it is a very cathartic 8 minutes. I have cued up a live version to where it all kicks off at about the 5:30 minute mark.

I’m transforming
I’m vibrating
Well look at me now!

Being away from my turntable for a third of the month made me have to work hard over my Thanksgiving break to get caught but it was worth it. This Challenge has been a lot of fun @Wes C. Attle ! I appreciate you putting it together. It’s been a blast reading e everyone entries each day.

See everyone in the December Challenge thread where @imtheocean is gonna tie a bow on 2023.

November 28
“Whoa, this one takes me back”

Here’s just a little neuroanatomy for you, just so I can get it out of my system: the auditory cortex (where sound is perceived) and amygdala (responsible for emotions) both have connections to the hippocampus, which has a major role in memory. This could explain why hearing a song from our past quickly brings up memories, emotions, and even certain smells (the olfactory bulb is also close to these structures). Okay, I’m all done with that. Play a record that brings up strong emotions, memories, or smells.

This one will always take me back to my early days of music discovery and drug experimentation. I can almost smell the mediocre brown weed, but back then it certainly did the trick.
I guess this is a double, because this particular copy takes me back to the record club that I joined so I could get this copy. Not only was it my first colored vinyl, as I had just started collecting again, but also led me to that club's old forum, which led me here. I've said it recently, but I'll reiterate - I love the place. Cheers to you all.

IMG_6383.JPG

Back