This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

Wes C. Attle

Hello! Welcome to November!

I’ve enjoyed participating in these challenges for the past several years, but this is my very first month of hosting. I love the creative themes that have been featured on past months and had actually planned on doing a neuroanatomy-based month, but after coming close to completing it I realized it was the nerdiest thing I’d ever done and ditched the idea.

My favorite prompts in the past have been those that elicit more personal responses; especially when participants share their stories about why they love these records, or how it reminds them of a particular time in their lives. I think that’s why we obsessives are here in this forum and not just casually listening to whatever Spotify decides to play for us as background music.

Therefore, personal stories about your selections are highly-encouraged this month but share as much as you want/feel comfortable doing. November has historically been a low-participation month for whatever reason (especially election years), but I appreciate your consideration of sticking with us as long as you can! Those who complete each day’s challenge by December 6th will be entered to win a free record (personally chosen for you by me).

Coming from someone who loves all physical forms of music, vinyl, tapes, and CDs will be accepted. Screenshot of streaming music can also be used if it helps your story.

November 1
Guest comes to your home for the first time: “You seem to like music a lot- holy smokes that’s a LOT of vinyls!” (Guest runs their hand -too aggressively, you determine- across the spines of the records)

What was the first album you remember having? Did you get it as a kid or did you more recently get into this silly hobby? Can you still smell the liner notes when you hear these songs?

November 2
“Yeah the record’s great, but you’ve GOT to see them live!”

What was one of your all-time favorite concerts that you’ve been to, who went with you, and where was it? If you’ve never been to a show, who would you love to see (or love to have seen) live? Digital high-fives will be given if you include photos from the show.

November 3
“Hey, this is our song! Remember?”
“No.”

What record will forever remind you of that special someone, a relative, or a good friend and why? What does it remind you of doing with them? (ahem, keep it clean)

November 4
You: “If you like _____, then you’ll DEFINITELY love _______. This is THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!”
Them: :::crickets:::

What is one of your favorite artists/records that you feel is criminally underrated or ignored and makes you question your taste in music because no one else is raving about it? Now is the time to sell us on it!

November 5
You: “Excuse me, but could you special order two records for me?”
Record store clerk: “Sure thing! Which ones?”
You: “um, Chicago’s 19 and also their fourth Christmas album”
Record store clerk: “Uhh…”
You: “I made the mistake of buying their first record and now I have to own them all.”

Which band/musician made you “go down the rabbit hole,” making you feel the need to buy everything they ever put out? What? You never did that? You have incredible will-power, you say? Ohhh well good for you! Play whatever you want then, I don’t care.

November 6
“This is probably in my top 5 favorite acid-funk alternative jazz -country albums of all time.”

Play an album that is a perfect representation of one of your favorite musical genres. Why do you like this genre so much? What are some other artists/records that you’d recommend in this genre?

November 7
You’re sitting at a red light, playing your all-time favorite song at full volume in your car when the driver in the vehicle next to you makes eye contact. This stranger looks concerned about you and mouths the words: “Is that OMC’s ‘How Bizarre?!’”

I know you bought an album that you had to order online because you were too embarrassed to buy it in person. Don’t be shy; play one of these “guilty pleasures.” Tell you what, to help out a bit: no explanation is necessary for this one.

November 8
“You might have heard of them. They’re part of this new Estonia-Pop scene.”

Play a record from one of your favorite location-based scenes. Were you into this trend while it was happening, or did you discover it after it was all over?

November 9
“Oh yeah, I used to know those guys before they became huge. I served them coffee every day. They were cool then but their fame went to their heads.”

Play an artist from your hometown (or any of your previous homes of residence). Did you ever run into them?

November 10
:::loud Friday night:::

You and your crew are about to head downtown for a real crazzzzy night. Play something that would get you in a dancing mood or excited about staying up way too late. Let’s face it though, you’re really just going to fall asleep while watching NCIS reruns in your recliner around nine o’clock tonight.

November 11
:::quiet Saturday morning:::

Shoot, you woke up way too early today even though you had plans to sleep in. No one else is up, it’s just you, your morning cup of coffee, and your turntable. What do you feel like playing to ease you into today?

November 12
Them: “Hey, Vertical Horizon is playing at the fair this year! We’re gonna’ get tickets, you wanna’ come?”
You: (gesturing towards your new haircut) “Can’t you see? I’m Emo now; I only listen to Emo.”

Play an artist that represents a certain style you adhered to during a certain time in your life. If your physical/clothing style never changed, then play something that maybe connected to your emotional style. I’m not sure what that means exactly, so why don’t you interpret it?

November 13
(singing along, music playing loud in headphones) “Late night, come home/WORK SUCKS, I KNOW!!”
(boss pokes head over your cubicle wall): “Sorry, what was that?”

What albums got you through tough shifts at work, either in the past or in your current job?

November 14
(pulls record from behind coats in closet)
(to self) : “What? Why and when did I buy the Bay City Rollers?!”

Play a record that you have neglected or don’t recall buying. Now think: why do you have this? Why haven’t you played it? Do you even want it anymore? If not, why don’t you PIF it, if it offends you so much? Maybe because offering it up would offend everyone else? In that case, yeah, don’t PIF it, just drop it off at Goodwill.

November 15
“Hat me, please”

Did the previous day’s prompt confuse you? Were you like, “What the heck is a PIF?” You should head over there, it’s pretty awesome. If you’re familiar and have participated, play the best record you’ve received. What was the best record you’ve offered to others?

If you haven’t participated before, play a record that you received for free or for a crazy-low price.

Last edited:
November 16
“Wait, you actually like this?”
Play something that others (or even yourself) would be surprised to learn you enjoy. Yeah, it may be similar to the “guilty pleasure” prompt, but not necessarily.

November 17
“So I was looking at our credit card bill... It says you spent $(redacted)?! That was for just ONE record?!”

What record takes the prize for most money spent on a single album? State your case, justifying why this was necessary but we won’t judge. You’re safe here.

November 18
(Enters record shop, owner behind counter looks up and immediately gives out a sigh of frustration upon seeing who has just walked through the door. The smell of aged vinyl fills your nostrils and your eyes are already burning from the dust and cigarette-smoke infused record covers)

What’s your favorite/most surprising find that you’ve purchased from your favorite record store (local to you or not). Give the store a shout out! What do you love about this shop?

November 19
Them: “You’ve got to listen to this. It’ll change your life!” (watches for reaction, smile slowly grows)
You: (puts other headphone on): “… uhh, yeah, I’ve heard this. It’s... it's just the ‘Happy Birthday Song?”

The Needles & Grooves forum (and the VMP forums before it) have introduced me to numerous new artists that I certainly would have never heard of without it. Play a record that you own only because you heard of it from N&G.

November 20
“Oh yeah, I remember them! Didn’t they break up years ago?”

Play one of your favorite artists that is way overdue for releasing a new album, or that you would love to get back together. What album sold you on this band/musician in the first place?

November 21
Me: “Me, me, me, me, me!”

So today, it’s not about you. It’s about me, because it’s my birthday. You have a few options:
  • Play something that you think I’d love
  • Play something that you know I love
  • Play an artist that shares this birthday with me
  • Play an artist from my hometown (I’ll accept Seattle but you’ll receive a digital high-five if you can be more specific with Tacoma, WA)
  • Play an artist from my current area of residence (Alabama or Florida)
November 22
“Dad, what do you cherish most?”
“Well, you, of course. And your mother. And my butcher cover copy of the Beatles’ Yesterday and Today.”

If your house was on fire, after saving your family/friends/roommate/humans/pets, you have time to grab only one record before you’re out of there. Which one is it and why-erm, “Bay City Rollers,” you say? What the hell?

November 23
“IIIIIIII… want to thaaank you.. for giving me the best day of my liiiiife”

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I’m thankful for all of you making it this far. Play an album/song that represents what you’re most thankful for, or just a record that you are thankful to own.

November 24
“Hello, everyone! If you’re waiting in line only for the Taylor Swift RSD release, I’m sorry to say that we just sold our last copy”

Happy Black Friday, everyone. Did you participate in Record Store Day today? Did you get what you wanted? Play a record that you got today or a hot item from previous RSDs. If you’ve never participated, just play the last record you purchased.

November 25
“It’s beginning to look a lot like…”

Play one of your favorite holiday albums. When do you remember first hearing this? Yesss, I understand some of you hate holiday music. You may play an album that reminds you of winter months or wintery weather, if you wish.

November 26
Review on Discogs: “THIS DESPERATELY NEEDS A REPRESS, PLEASE!!”
Response to above review from that one dude who makes the same comment for just about every title: “I’ve got the OG and it sounds great! Sounds better than any repress ever could. I would recommend trying to track down a $300 OG copy.”

What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed? Do you think it’ll ever happen? You may have to dig into your CDs or tapes for this one. Screenshot of a streaming is also likely/allowed.

November 27
(opening gift): “Ohhh. Cool. ‘Foghat’s Greatest Hits CD.’ Very cool. Thanks, Uncle Gary.”

Play a record that you received as a gift or was recommended to you by a friend or relative. Do you even like it? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Do I need to direct you to the PIF forum again?

November 28
“Whoa, this one takes me back”

Here’s just a little neuroanatomy for you, just so I can get it out of my system: the auditory cortex (where sound is perceived) and amygdala (responsible for emotions) both have connections to the hippocampus, which has a major role in memory. This could explain why hearing a song from our past quickly brings up memories, emotions, and even certain smells (the olfactory bulb is also close to these structures). Okay, I’m all done with that. Play a record that brings up strong emotions, memories, or smells.

November 29
Them: “Only two copies left of the overpriced poop-colored vinyl variant of this overly-varianted album! DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS”
You:

tina-fey-high-five.gif

Okay, just a little more neurophysiology: our reward centers in our brains have become flooded with dopamine every time we make a vinyl purchase. Why else would an animated GIF of Tina Fey giving herself a high-five still make us feel so happy (if you don’t get this reference, consider yourself lucky)? What is a record that you purchased simply out of impulsivity?

November 30
“Looks like we made it. Look how far we’ve come, my babyyyy”

You did it! Nice work. A closing selection is always tough. If your life were a TV series, what song would you choose to play right before the credits roll at the end of your finale? Digital high-five if you include a link so that we can listen to it and cry about how our favorite show is now over (or complain about how there were so many loose-ends that were never resolved).

November 1
What was the first album you remember having? Did you get it as a kid or did you more recently get into this silly hobby? Can you still smell the liner notes when you hear these songs?

A story told many times before but if the shoe fits...

My parents took 12-year-old me to see a Battle Of The Bands at a local high school. One of these ragtag outfits covered 'Paranoid' and the fuse was lit. Shortly afterwards I purchased this very copy at a local department store and it's still with me 50 years later. It's a little rough and could tell some tales if it had a tongue.

There's no liner note scent remaining but definitely some other smells...

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

20231031_235750.jpg

November 1

Cheating quite a bit here….
First albums I remember owning were on cassette, I saved my allowance in the Fourth grade and bought Buckner & Garcia’s Pac-Man Fever and Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger. I even remember taking them to show and tell. I own neither on vinyl or any physical format now.

In the first grade for Christmas, I got this:
IMG_4154.jpeg

My very first turntable!

I also got copies of Kiss’s Detroit Rock City b/w Beth and this 45:
IMG_4151.jpeg
The Bee Gees - Stayin’ Alive b/w How Deep is Your Love.

In honor of that 45:
IMG_4150.png
Various Artists - Saturday Night Fever Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

November 1

My folks and older sister had some excellent records that are embedded in my head since day one (CSNY ~ Deja Vu I'm looking at you).

That being said, I distinctly remember going to Moby Disc records in the San Fernando Valley to buy this album on release day - July 26, 1983 as Oingo Boingo was one of the first bands I 'discovered' on my own, as opposed to through other family members. As a trombone player in high school band, the fact that they had a horn section spoke to me (especially the trombone solo in Who Do You Want to Be).

While I lost the original purchased version of this and the remainder of my original collection in the great storage locker heat wave of the late 90's, I've done a good job of replicating and expanding it out. And listening to this takes me right back to countless hours of listening to them on my walkman during long family drives and going to see Boingo at the Hollywood Palladium.

Oingo Boingo ~ Good For Your Soul

IMG_4235.jpeg

November 1

Cheating quite a bit here….
First albums I remember owning were on cassette, I saved my allowance in the Fourth grade and bought Buckner & Garcia’s Pac-Man Fever and Survivor’s Eye of the Tiger. I even remember taking them to show and tell. I own neither on vinyl or any physical format now.

In the first grade for Christmas, I got this:
View attachment 186171

My very first turntable!

I also got copies of Kiss’s Detroit Rock City b/w Beth and this 45:
View attachment 186172
The Bee Gees - Stayin’ Alive b/w How Deep is Your Love.

In honor of that 45:
View attachment 186173
Various Artists - Saturday Night Fever Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
I got you…
IMG_8351.jpeg
My SO loves classic arcade games and Pac-Man being one of her faves I assumed (probably incorrectly) that she would appreciate Pac-Man Fever on vinyl. It’s framed in her hobby room.

Day 01: First Record
Bruce Springsteen - The River
IMG_8350.jpeg

I was too young to have my own records as a child. My first albums were on Cassette Tape, though my favorite records that my mom would spin when I was young and dance around the living room to were Thriller, An Innocent Man, Wham!’s Make It Big, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.

I starting collecting vinyl almost by chance. Around 2005 or 2006 I was living in house with multiple roommates the home owner had some old electronics in the basement where I spent a decent amount of time watching the secondary TV, fucking around on the Desktop PC and smoking weed. He had an old all-in-on stereo system in a corner collecting dust and out of boredom, one day I hooked it up and discovered it was was in relatively decent working order. Still I had no vinyl to spin on it, a few weeks later while visiting local head shop, Mother Murphy’s, I notice their dusty vinyl bins and started thumbing through the stack. I found The Beatles Hey Jude EP and this, Bruce Springsteen’s The River and on a whim purchased both for around $8 total.I had just started to explore The Bosses discography at the time and was fairly unfamiliar with this album but still I could tell it sounded better coming out of that all-in-ones speakers than it did coming through the PC speakers off of an MP3. From there I would start collecting fairly casually until me and my SO got our own apartment followed by my first Technics turntable as a birthday present after that I became a regular fixture at the local records store until moving out west in 2012. I have cycled through a lot of albums over my 15+ years f collecting but I have still hung on to those first two throughout.

November 1
Guest comes to your home for the first time: “You seem to like music a lot- holy smokes that’s a LOT of vinyls!” (Guest runs their hand -too aggressively, you determine- across the spines of the records)

Various Artists "Hit News Vol. 1" (K-Tel 1984)
I'm having a hard time recalling what my oldest album is, but I believe this is the oldest one that remains in my collection. I had my dad's copy of an Elvis hits double album and I mentioned in another thread that my uncle had PIF'ed me a copy of A Trick Of The Tail. Both of those are gone. I definitely owned a ton of 45's and 12" singles before owning any album too - the first one would have been a copy of Kung-Fu fighting. I also used to go borrow records from the city library a lot (Rio, Bryan Adams and Born in the USA came home with me often). I was also buying a lot of my albums on cassette in those days. This particular K-Tel compilation, I obtained as a gift - my dad worked in the textile industry and his factory would have these lavish summer picnics with BBQ's, competitions and a big gift raffle. Your name would come up and you'd get to select something from a vast array of items - everyone would get something (the earlier the better - you could get a bicycle for example). This album was my selection one year, I guess that would be in the summer of 1984 (age 12).

IMG_0537.JPG

EDIT: the compilation is a pretty cool time-capsule of the era:

IMG_0538.JPG

Last edited:
November 1

Various Artists "Hit News Vol. 1" (K-Tel 1984)
I'm having a hard time recalling what my oldest album is, but I believe this is the oldest one that remains in my collection. I had my dad's copy of an Elvis hits double album and I mentioned in another thread that my uncle had PIF'ed me a copy of A Trick Of The Tail. Both of those are gone. I definitely owned a ton of 45's and 12" singles before owning any album too - the first one would have been a copy of Kung-Fu fighting. I also used to go borrow records from the city library a lot (Rio, Bryan Adams and Born in the USA came home with me often). I was also buying a lot of my albums on cassette in those days. This particular K-Tel compilation, I obtained as a gift - my dad worked in the textile industry and his factory would have these lavish summer picnics with BBQ's, competitions and a big gift raffle. Your name would come up and you'd get to select something from a vast array of items - everyone would get something (the earlier the better - you could get a bicycle for example). This album was my selection one year, I guess that would be in the summer of 1984 (age 12).

View attachment 186195

EDIT: the compilation is a pretty cool time-capsule of the era:

View attachment 186198
That a solid 80s comp right there!

That a solid 80s comp right there!

It's amazing how well that trackist holds up. It's cheezy in parts, but the fun doesn't let-up and it's filled with what ended up being classics.

EDIT - you can hear its age from the dust that gathered in between the tracks but it sounds surprisingly really good too.

It's amazing how well that trackist holds up. It's cheezy in parts, but the fun doesn't let-up and it's filled with what ended up being classics.

EDIT - you can hear its age from the dust that gathered in between the tracks but it sounds surprisingly really good too.

Air Supply always needs the sound of dust on top of it!

November 1

"Weird Al" Yankovic – In 3-D
20231101_125958.jpg

The first record I remember having was actually Walt Disney Productions' Story Of The Black Hole, which isn't really an album. This is the first album I remember owning, but it was on cassette. Sadly I no longer have it, but I snagged this vinyl copy at a community garage sale a few months back and was pretty stoked. On the surface, this was a very fun and silly album that young me absolutely enjoyed but it was also a riddle that kept unfolding itself as I grew older: I was familiar enough with the Madonna and Michael Jackson songs parodied here but a lot of the parodies, polkas and referential stylings contained herein were over my young little head during the first couple hundred plays, but as my musical exploration and I grew into my teenage and young adult years all the musical tidbits gradually unlocked and the album (and "Weird Al" in general) just got more and more brilliant in my eyes.

Hilariously, with absolutely no knowledge of this prompt or my plans to play this album today, my wife started playing a bunch of "Weird Al" in the car on our way back from dropping the 2-year-old off with my folks - turning today into a mini-ALapalooza!

20231101_130615.jpg
*This isn't my original copy of Walt Disney Productions' Story Of The Black Hole, but I didn't hesitate for an instant to snap this copy up when I saw it at our local during the first couple of months of our collecting. My son was into it for a little bit, but he'd more frequently choose Story And Songs From Robin Hood.

November 1
What was the first album you remember having?

R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction

Cheating a bit here. I had bought many albums before this, but this is the oldest record I bought when it first came out and remember when I bought it. Walked into Spinners in June of 1985 just after writing a grade 11 English Lit exam as the clerk was putting it in the rack, so I grabbed it right away.
IMG_0023.jpg

Back