Gadzooks! Its the December Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread!

imtheocean

Welcome to the December Vinyl Spin Challenge! This month we are celebrating the season by diving into that most December of traditions, the holiday special. You know them, you love them, you may even hate some of them. But you can't get away from them.

The usual rules apply - try to play something someone else hasn't played, and explanations for your play are encouraged and welcome.

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

12/2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special: This heartwarming story of Chewbacca’s wife, father, and son Lumpy eagerly awaiting his return for Life Day is notable for the introduction of Boba Fett. Play a debut release or something that introduces a musician for the first time.

12/3 - The Johnny Cash Holiday Special: Johnny Cash had a number of holiday specials over the years. He also wrote a song (that was one of my son’s early favorites) called “Look at them Beans” about green beans. Given that December 3rd is also National Green Bean Casserole day, play something about food. Or by Johnny Cash.

12/4 - The Santa Clause: In this movie Tim Allen takes over for Santa after he scares Santa and knocks him off a roof, killing him. Play something where a member of the band is a replacement for a previous member.

12/5 - Krampus: Krampusnacht is celebrated on December 5th, and both the myth and the movie revolve around a demon who punishes naughty children. Play something you think would scare a child.

12/6 - Christmas at Pee-Wee’s Playhouse: This special had a deep roster of guest stars, including Grace Jones singing “Little Drummer Boy”. Play something with a featured guest on an album.

12/7 - Rugrats Chanukkah: This is the first childrens tv show to have a Hanukkah episode. Today is the 1st day of Hanukkah. Play something by someone who celebrates Hanukkah.

12/8 - The Year Without a Santa Claus: My favorite part of this special is Heat Miser and Cold Miser, two brothers who are constantly at odds. Play something that focuses on Hot or Cold, however you want to define it. Or two brothers who are / have been at odds.

12/9 – Bing Crosby’s Merrie Olde Christmas: Best known for the Bing Crosby / David Bowie duet of Peace On Earth / Little Drummer Boy. Play something that bridges generations.

12/10 – Scrooged: Bill Murray stars in this version of a Christmas Carol. Since this is the second appearance of this story, play a Ghost of Christmas Present, something by an artist you are hoping to find underneath the tree this year.

12/11 – Free Play! What’s your favorite holiday special? Do you celebrate other holidays this month? Let us know what it is and play something that brings it to mind.

12/12 – Santa and The Ice Cream Bunny: This MST3K / Rifftrax favorite is listed in Wikipedia as follows: “Atrocious acting, cheap production values and a meandering long running time have earned a fan following as one of the worst Christmas movies ever made”. Play something that would likely be made better with some strong egg nog, or something that helps you go to sleep.

12/13 - Mariah Carey’s Magical Christmas Special: Mariah is everywhere in the Christmas season. Spin something you feel like was everywhere at one point.

12/14 – A Christmas Story: Ralphie’s mom was so offended by the Leg Lamp / Major Award and what the neighbors would think that she ‘accidentally’ broke it. Play a record you suspect that your friends / family would ‘accidentally’ break, given the chance.

12/15 - My Little Pony – Hearth’s Warming Eve: This holiday episode focuses on the history of Equestria, and to quote @duke86fan is about “people not being assholes to one another and racial equality”. Play something designed to bring people together, or something about horses.

Last edited:
12/16 – It’s A Wonderful Life: This holiday favorite has an angel sent from heaven to show George Bailey how much he’s meant to others. Play something with bells or chimes, to help an angel get its wings.

12/17 - A Charlie Brown Christmas: A good percentage of us own this release which seems to have reached Black Pumas levels of variants. Suspending the usual “play something unique” rule, play it if you have it and lets see what versions are out there. If you don’t have it, play a holiday favorite.

12/18 - Beavis and Butthead Do Christmas / South Park Mr. Hankey, the Christmas Poo: “Well Brian, if you want poop for Christmas, Santa Butthead would be happy to come by and take a dump under your tree”. Play one of the albums that is worth the least in your collection. Howdy ho, and lets see those gems!

12/19 - The Grinch: Play something that makes your heart grow three sizes.

12/20 - A Christmas Carol: The 1951 version of a Christmas Carol is widely considered the best adaptation. As this is the third version of this to show up on this list, play a Ghost of Christmas Future by someone you are looking forward to a future release from.

As we get closer to Christmas, we are going to focus on my favorite Christmas special, the Rankin-Bass version of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer and the various characters that make it work for me.

12/21 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Sam the Snowman was famously voiced by Burl Ives, who was jailed in the early 1930’s for singing “Foggy Dew”, which the authorities considered “bawdy”. Play something bawdy in solidarity with Burl.

12/22 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Rudolph is the titular hero of this special. Expelled from the reindeer games (and the North Pole) due to his unique nose, he returns in triumph when he’s most needed. Play something that represents a late career return to form.

12/23 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Hermey the Elf feels like a misfit because he wants to be a dentist. Everyone started off with a job they didn’t like. Spin something by an artist who initially paid the bills with another job outside of music, and let us know what that is.

12/24 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Yukon Cornelius is as famous for his lust for silver and gold as he is for his amazing moustache. Play something by someone who has / had fantastic facial hair.

12/25 - Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer: Santa (who comes off as a bit of a jerk in this special to be honest) and Christmas were saved by Rudolph. Play something you received as a present.

12/26 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: Bumbles Bounce! Christmas is over, you get to sneak in one more holiday record before you’re told to bounce. Spin it loud!

12/27 - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer: The Island of Misfit Toys is where the Charlie In The Box greets Rudolph and Hermey, and introduces them to the misfit toys. Play something that’s in a misfit genre when compared to the rest of your collection.

12/28 - Emmet Otter’s Jug Band Christmas: This Jim Henson special reaches its apex with a talent show that pits the Frogtown Hollow Jubilee Jug Band against the heavy metal stylings of The Nightmare. In that vein, pick your winner and play something that either has Jug Band / Bluegrass roots, or some Heavy Metal.

12/29 - Seinfeld: Festivus is the traditional airing of grievances. Play an album that was used to air a grievance.

12/30 – Elf: This movie is a “narwhal out of water” tale of a human child who is adopted by one of Santa’s Elves, and his search to find his true family and restore their Christmas spirit. Play an album that is considered an unexpected release for an artist.

12/31: Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special: Bringing us back to the excellent mixtape challenge that @Turbo did last December based on the Guardians, play something that will show up on your NYE playlist.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

12/15 - My Little Pony – Hearth’s Warming Eve: This holiday episode focuses on the history of Equestria, and is about “people not being assholes to one another and racial equality”. Play something designed to bring people together, or something about horses.
i love that you used my quote in your explanation... i probably was generalizing a bit but it basically was about how all 3 races basically were being jerks to each other and caused a dangerous ice storm to happen

i love that you used my quote in your explanation... i probably was generalizing a bit but it basically was about how all 3 races basically were being jerks to each other and caused a dangerous ice storm to happen
It was perfect timing as I was putting this month together! I'll update the main post to attribute you correctly :)

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

When I was a kid, everyone had a Christmas album collection. And I mean everyone - hardware stores, tire manufacturers, department stores, and yes - sewing machine manufacturers. They were all dirt cheap or giveaways and all were absolutely horrific.

A Singer Christmas For The Family

So much to unpack in this cover shot...

20231130_234222.jpg

Dad - Smug satisfaction. "I just bought another year of banging my secretary while she's occupied with another hollow gift."

20231130_234250.jpg

Mom - Misguided glee. "He adores my homemade petticoats. They mesmerize him. And he wants more."

20231130_234312.jpg

Timmy - Abject horror. "I'll be ridiculed at school wearing homemade clothes. I'm going to scream this thing into oblivion."

20231130_234335.jpg

Susie - Detached denial. "We'll just sit right here under this wrapping paper, Dolly. No one can see us. We won't have to wear any of those clothes. We won't. No one can see us. We won't. No one can see us."

20231130_234359.jpg

Happy holidays?

1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

g08541_weihnachten_in_familie.jpg

the gdr chritsmas classic that still is mandatory for xmas with my wifes family

Last edited:

Ducks Ltd. "Modern Fiction" (2021 Carpark Records)
Ducks Ltd. ---> Scrooge McDuck ----> Mickey's Christmas Carol -----> Ghost of Christmas Past ----> Modern Fiction.
tumblr_pe0hvaDwEN1xxh1zho3_r1_400.gifv

IMG_0715.JPG

The first ever CD I owned was a Christmas present in 1991 - and I didn't have a CD player at the time - I asked for the player and CD's but Santa just didn't listen. I had to save up and buy a CD player a few months later.

I liked the movie so I wanted the soundtrack - not really knowing some songs from the movie weren't even on the soundtrack...but this is pretty much when I started my soundtrack/score collecting.

We aren't going to talk about the other CD I got that Christmas.

OK, It was Hammer - Too Legit To Quit

I was 14 - and had limited access to better music....

I don't have that CD anymore, but I've kept this one in fine shape for the 32 years I've had it. This CD and the movie were also what got me listening to Soundgarden, as theirs is the best track on the compilation.

Various – Pump Up The Volume (Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
MCA Records – MCAD-8039, 1990

BaBBGga.jpg

xwBJL6i.jpg

Ducks Ltd. "Modern Fiction" (2021 Carpark Records)
Ducks Ltd. ---> Scrooge McDuck ----> Mickey's Christmas Carol -----> Ghost of Christmas Past ----> Modern Fiction.
tumblr_pe0hvaDwEN1xxh1zho3_r1_400.gifv

View attachment 189253
Pretty sure the Tentacular challenge was September! I'll allow it though.

When I was a kid, everyone had a Christmas album collection. And I mean everyone - hardware stores, tire manufacturers, department stores, and yes - sewing machine manufacturers. They were all dirt cheap or giveaways and all were absolutely horrific.

A Singer Christmas For The Family

So much to unpack in this cover shot...

View attachment 189236

Dad - Smug satisfaction. "I just bought another year of banging my secretary while she's occupied with another hollow gift."

View attachment 189235

Mom - Misguided glee. "He adores my homemade petticoats. They mesmerize him. And he wants more."

View attachment 189234

Timmy - Abject horror. "I'll be ridiculed at school wearing homemade clothes. I'm going to scream this thing into oblivion."

View attachment 189233

Susie - Detached denial. "We'll just sit right here under this wrapping paper, Dolly. No one can see us. We won't have to wear any of those clothes. We won't. No one can see us. We won't. No one can see us."

View attachment 189232

Happy holidays?
This is how you kick off a month!

1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this months playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

This takes me back to my Grandmothers living room in Flushing NY!

Barbara Streisand ~ A Christmas Album

IMG_4750.jpeg

12/1 - Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol: This is the first animated Christmas special, aired in 1962. This is also the first version of A Christmas Carol that appears on this month's playthrough, so play something that you would consider a ghost of Christmas Past.

Freddie Hubbard – Red Clay
20231201_102615.jpg

Only two years in the past, mind, but this was part of my first N&G Secret Santa package from @Ponman2003 (Julien Baker made it into last month's Challenge) - I don't remember if this was on my Discogs wishlist at the time but of the 3 jazz records he included (all great!) this was the one I was most excited about, as it was high on my want list at the time. Still love it every time I throw it on.

Back