This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 27
(opening gift): “Ohhh. Cool. ‘Foghat’s Greatest Hits CD.’ Very cool. Thanks, Uncle Gary.”

Play a record that you received as a gift or was recommended to you by a friend or relative. Do you even like it? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Do I need to direct you to the PIF forum again?

Amy Winehouse - Back to Black

20231128_231744.jpg

Gifted to me from my mom. Not something that I would purchase on my own, even if I enjoy this album a lot. I wouldn't PIF it because, as I mentioned before, items aren't claimed in that thread unless it has $35+ USD value (excluding gift cards).

November 28
“Whoa, this one takes me back”

Here’s just a little neuroanatomy for you, just so I can get it out of my system: the auditory cortex (where sound is perceived) and amygdala (responsible for emotions) both have connections to the hippocampus, which has a major role in memory. This could explain why hearing a song from our past quickly brings up memories, emotions, and even certain smells (the olfactory bulb is also close to these structures). Okay, I’m all done with that. Play a record that brings up strong emotions, memories, or smells.

The Cure - Disintegration

20231128_232940.jpg

I was not alive when this album was released, I know. Listening to this album (as infrequently as I do) is akin to shifting through a rolodex of stills from carefree childhood.

November 29
Them: “Only two copies left of the overpriced poop-colored vinyl variant of this overly-varianted album! DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS”
You:

tina-fey-high-five.gif

Okay, just a little more neurophysiology: our reward centers in our brains have become flooded with dopamine every time we make a vinyl purchase. Why else would an animated GIF of Tina Fey giving herself a high-five still make us feel so happy (if you don’t get this reference, consider yourself lucky)? What is a record that you purchased simply out of impulsivity?

Oh, I definitely TINA'd this one, wasn't nearly as familiar with it as 3 Feet High and Rising, but the FOMO was real. Glad I did though.

De La Soul ~ De La Soul is dead

IMG_4729.jpeg

Lack week was crazy busy (in a good/fun way)! Jumping back in...

November 22
If your house was on fire, after saving your family/friends/roommate/humans/pets, you have time to grab only one record before you’re out of there. Which one is it and why-erm, “Bay City Rollers,” you say? What the hell?

Hamilton Leithauser & Paul Maroon - Dear God

This is a tough one...if my house is on fire, I would likely go into analysis/paralysis and end up grabbing something I later regret.

As such, might as well choose this one. An understated classic. Hamilton and Paul from The Walkmen. The former singing and the latter playing piano, organ, and some guitar. A handful of covers and the rest originals. This one was only pressed in limited quantities – and it seems unlikely that they will ever re-press. As such, it is irreplaceable, until someone decides to sell (hasn't happened since late '22). They did post the songs to Bandcamp a few years back, so you can listen to them there (link below).

IMG_8260.JPG

November 23
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I’m thankful for all of you making it this far. Play an album/song that represents what you’re most thankful for, or just a record that you are thankful to own.

Dezron Douglas & Brandee YoungerForce Majeure
Recorded during covid, this one somehow oozes gratitude and always feels like a warm blanket. I got to see the two of them perform these songs at the Old Church here in Portland in early 2022. Unforgettable performance (photo below).

IMG_8261.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

Day: 29: the only cure for FOMO is more Tina!

Acetone - Cindy
IMG_9360.jpeg
When I dove deep into this hobby of ours I was much more susceptible to FOMO than I am today. The thrill of “rare” colored variants and limited pressings has lost much of its luster but I still get pulled in every now and again the difference is now I have a much higher success rate than I used to. For example these Acetone releases. This was a band I was completely unaware of prior to folks on here stirring up interest in this band and their back catalogue. I didn’t jump out and purchase the $260 box set when the preorder went up but I did pick up there first two albums at my local on their release date and then the last two records the following Monday. This band really checks a lot of boxes for me, it’s a bit grungy, has some twang, and also includes heavy doses of Slowcore. Not to mention they would release the final two albums on Neil Young’s boutique label. I have been a bit obsessed with them since they came on my radar. Sometimes it pays off to jump in to things headfirst.

November 29
Them: “Only two copies left of the overpriced poop-colored vinyl variant of this overly-varianted album! DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS”
You:

tina-fey-high-five.gif

Okay, just a little more neurophysiology: our reward centers in our brains have become flooded with dopamine every time we make a vinyl purchase. Why else would an animated GIF of Tina Fey giving herself a high-five still make us feel so happy (if you don’t get this reference, consider yourself lucky)? What is a record that you purchased simply out of impulsivity?

Kelela - Take Me Apart

20231129_133314.jpg

Purchased for a cool $8.19 shipped from Rough trade, five years ago around the time I started collecting. Have thought about selling this and replacing with a common 2xLP variant (color or not) more than a few times.

Day 29: Them: “Only two copies left of the overpriced poop-colored vinyl variant of this overly-varianted album! DO NOT MISS OUT ON THIS”
You:
tina-fey-high-five.gif

Neil Young with Crazy Horse - Toast

IMG_7678.jpeg

I saw this discounted from $43 to $25 and decided to buy it despite only ever hearing one song from it. I’m glad I did, it’s a really good album.

November 29

For me, pretty much anything from VMP qualifies as an impulse purchase. If I sat down a calculated the true cost of records from VMP I would probably puke. Denial is king!!

That said, I am glad FOMO got to me on the day VMP announced this record.

Link Wray - s/t
IMG_0079.jpg

November 27
(opening gift): “Ohhh. Cool. ‘Foghat’s Greatest Hits CD.’ Very cool. Thanks, Uncle Gary.”

Play a record that you received as a gift or was recommended to you by a friend or relative. Do you even like it? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Do I need to direct you to the PIF forum again?

I was going to go with one of the many great records I've gotten via the N&G secret santa, but went with this one that my son got me a couple years ago. Usually he'd buy me something we both know and like, but this time he chose something he likes that I hadn't heard yet.
Nice choice I think.

IMG_6370.JPG

November 28

Ben Harper - Welcome to the Cruel World

IMG_6431.jpeg

I was all about alternative and skate punk in high school but during my senior year, I dated a girl who only listened to Dave Matthews and Ben Harper, eventually leading to many trips to the Gorge

November 28
Here’s just a little neuroanatomy for you, just so I can get it out of my system: the auditory cortex (where sound is perceived) and amygdala (responsible for emotions) both have connections to the hippocampus, which has a major role in memory. This could explain why hearing a song from our past quickly brings up memories, emotions, and even certain smells (the olfactory bulb is also close to these structures). Okay, I’m all done with that. Play a record that brings up strong emotions, memories, or smells.

Portishead "Dummy" (1994 Go! Beat; 2017 reissue)
I know what you're thinking. Get your mind out of the gutter, because that's not it. Although... no, that's something else. Aaaanyway, I picked up the CD for this right when it came out, and I was going to San Diego a few days later. So I played this CD on the flight, over and over. It was my first trip out to the west coast. Science conference, but I managed to do a bunch of tourist things like hit the zoo, eat great food and check out the beach. When I play this record, I'm reminded of that flight, conference and trip.

IMG_0711.JPG

November 29
You:

tina-fey-high-five.gif

Brother Jack McDuff "Moon Rappin" (1970 Blue Note; 2022 classic reissue)
Let's see if I can recount this like I'm telling a joke. Is it funny? Maybe in a Seinfeld sort of way. So these three guys were at the record store: @Hollywood , @avecigrec and @Turbo . @Hollywood was browsing, well, not really, he was basically just ogling these giant vintage speakers. @avecigrec was digging through the jazz bin, and he pulled out this record. He turns to me and says "@Turbo, you're going to like this". @Turbo didn't know the album, but answered "ok". And he liked it. And still does. "Thanks for spending my money", @Turbo says at this moment to @avecigrec . Meanwhile, it is believed that @Hollywood is still ogling the pictures he took of the speakers. In a good way, to be sure, and as he reads this, likely thinking "I bet @Turbo's record would sound even better on the speakers" (he would use their real name though, because the narrator is not as versed on these things).

IMG_0712.JPG

November 24
Happy Black Friday, everyone. Did you participate in Record Store Day today? Did you get what you wanted? Play a record that you got today or a hot item from previous RSDs. If you’ve never participated, just play the last record you purchased.

Los Lobos - Kiko

I haven't seen much talk of it on the N+G forum, but this is one of the best RSD releases I have picked up. I loved this album when it was first released, and it has held up surprisingly well. This pressing sounds immaculate. The band's legacy will always be connected to "La Bamba", which in some ways is a shame. They are incredible musicians, and the songwriting talent is on a similar level. It all came together on this one...a more experimental approach, and the production to match. Highly recommended.

IMG_8262.JPG

November 28

I know I've mentioned it before, but there are some albums that just remind me of summers during middle/high school when I spent most my time mowing. We had the funeral home and our own yard, grass to mow at a garage down the street, and once I got a licence to drive a 2nd funeral home about 20 miles away.

This was all prior to mp3 players or streaming, so cassette tapes was it as far as music - anti-skip cd players could only do so much and couldn't handle a riding lawn mower...plus I had more cassettes than CD's during this early 90's period of time.

There's a small handful of albums that I remember having on cassette that I made specifically for mowing - this was one of them...

The Sisters Of Mercy – Vision Thing
Merciful Release – MR 449 L, 1990

DMM cut at The Exchange
Pressed at Record Service Alsdorf

NYpsJOm.jpg

X8PKSqC.jpg

November 27

Julien Baker – Turn Out The Lights
20231129_183710.jpg

This was part of my very first N&G Secret Santa package! @Ponman2003 sent me a sweet trio of jazz records that were very on point for my tastes and included this as an outlier choice to which he had a great personal connection. I was mostly only familiar with Baker by reputation before this, and still have yet to explore the rest of her solo catalogue but I very much enjoy this every time I put it on - which isn't so often that I've become intimately familiar with it so there are still nice discoveries when I listen.

November 28

Saul Williams – Saul Williams
20231129_213434.jpg

This album will never not remind me of a mall parking lot in San Diego.

Let's take it back to 2004... later in the road trip mentioned on Day 2. After the DMB show my friends and I made our way up to Laytonville for the Earthdance festival (where my biggest regret was going too hard too early on the day Ozomatli was playing and sleeping through their set!) As things began to wind down my friends and I started to figure out our next moves - they wanted to head down the Baja and do some surfing, while I was thinking about scurrying back to Canada since I was nearly out of money. I'd gone so far as to secure a ride with a dude on his motorcycle headed up to southern Washington, so long as I was willing to camp an extra night or two in the Redwoods (I most certainly was!) but ultimately decided I should go with my friends, despite being on the verge of being broke. Surely they'd make sure I didn't die!

A couple of months earlier I met Saul Williams for the first time after his set at the Calgary Folk Festival. I was unusually starstruck (especially odd since I'd been unfazed meeting people who were way more famous!), had borderline sunstroke, and was getting my ass righteously kicked by a much stronger-than-anticipated pot brownie. Saul was very gracious, but I feel like I made a bit of an ass of myself. I asked him about his forthcoming album, which had recently been announced, and he mentioned it would be quite different than Amethyst Rock Star but entirely self-produced and more indicative of what he wanted to do. I told him I was very excited about it and walked away completely forgetting to ask him to sign my copy of , said the shotgun to the head until after I'd started walking away and realized he'd been looking at it anticipating my asking him to do so - I was too self-conscious to walk back!

After Laytonville, we headed to Big Sur and then meandered down the coast to San Diego, where would do a final supply run and deal with insurance before heading down the Baja. I talked my friends into timing our night in San Diego with a performance by Alfred Howard & The K23 Orchestra, after seeing Al do some spoken word as a 'tweener before Michael Franti & Spearhead at Earthdance, then bonding with him over Saul Williams and spoken word when we met later in the weekend. We got to the city a few hours before the show and hit up a mall in the meantime, beginning with Best Buy. Despite being on the verge of being broke, this album had just been released and I wanted to see if they had a copy, which they did. I told my friends I'd wait for them in the van and played my new CD two times, back to back, on my Discman - just chilling alone in a van in the parking lot, absolutely mesmerized.

I listened to this album a LOT during our nearly two months down in the Baja. I also filled 2 full notebooks with writing, wrote a couple dozen letters, and read 23 books. I'd already spent much of the year committing myself to poetry being something I wanted to do, but this album in that parking lot was a bit of a gateway into poetry becoming THE thing I wanted to do. 8 years, less a week, after this album was released I shared a stage with Saul Williams in Victoria (where I had decided to move during my time in the Baja) - I was still a bit more starstruck than is reasonable, but a lot less awkward than the first time I met him! Despite all the time, growth and evolution since, this album still takes me back to that 1985 Toyota van in the parking lot of whatever mall that was in San Diego when I was a super hippie babypoet hurling myself toward the unknown!

November 29
You:

tina-fey-high-five.gif

DJ Muggs – Notes And Tones
20231129_222007.jpg

I mean, I'd say a huge amount of my purchases have been impulsive - the ADHD doesn't (or does) help! That said, this was one of the quickest cost-doesn't-matter trigger pulls I've had over the past few years. A limited pressing of an album by a hip hop producer I love using Sun Ra samples?! I mean, that's a no-brainer over here! I suppose it was a bonus that I don't drink anymore, so the wine this was released in partnership with wasn't of interest, which saved me a bunch of money, despite already spending a lot! But no regrets, either.

November 30
“Looks like we made it. Look how far we’ve come, my babyyyy”

You did it! Nice work. A closing selection is always tough. If your life were a TV series, what song would you choose to play right before the credits roll at the end of your finale? Digital high-five if you include a link so that we can listen to it and cry about how our favorite show is now over (or complain about how there were so many loose-ends that were never resolved).

Lucinda Chua - YIAN

20231129_134927.jpg

Likely because I'm in the otherworld by the end of my supposed sitcom. It probably involves being forgotten by most who meet me.
Ambient pop/art pop that is restorative and gorgeous. Made my last weeks better during my mediocre job from earlier this year. Also one of my favorites of the year. (oops, I spoiled 2% of my top50)

Will be on my upcoming "Best of 2023" playlist as my track selection representative of this album:

Back