This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 26
What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed?

Harvey Danger - King James Version

IMG_6427.jpeg

Tons of albums on my wishlist, and this one’s not necessarily at the top of that list but really picked because I felt like hearing it and the CD was within reach right now. Their “sophomore slump” was really just sorely underrated. People just wanted another “Flagpole Sitta” I suppose.

November 25
“It’s beginning to look a lot like…”

Play one of your favorite holiday albums. When do you remember first hearing this? Yesss, I understand some of you hate holiday music. You may play an album that reminds you of winter months or wintery weather, if you wish.

This album (and holiday special) is as integral to me as CSNY Deja Vu is to me the other 11 months of the year.

Johnny Marks ~ Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer OST

IMG_4690.jpeg

Last edited:
November 26
Review on Discogs: “THIS DESPERATELY NEEDS A REPRESS, PLEASE!!”
Response to above review from that one dude who makes the same comment for just about every title: “I’ve got the OG and it sounds great! Sounds better than any repress ever could. I would recommend trying to track down a $300 OG copy.”

What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed? Do you think it’ll ever happen? You may have to dig into your CDs or tapes for this one. Screenshot of a streaming is also likely/allowed.

I mean, there's only one choice for this for me. It's gonna happen.

Hey ho, away we go...

Neil Young & Pearl Jam ~ Mirror Ball

Screenshot 2023-11-26 at 4.26.47 PM.png

Day 19: RIYL N&G

Brian Dunne - Loser on the Ropes
IMG_9289.jpeg
One of the (many) people that make N&G such a great place to hang is @Twentytwo . Not only does he keep the Pre-Orders Thread humming a full speed but he also has his finger on the pulse of the Americana scene. Not only did he bring the Aforementioned Izaak Opatz to the attention of many on here but he recently shined a light on this album that has become a favorite of mine as well.

November 26
Review on Discogs: “THIS DESPERATELY NEEDS A REPRESS, PLEASE!!”
Response to above review from that one dude who makes the same comment for just about every title: “I’ve got the OG and it sounds great! Sounds better than any repress ever could. I would recommend trying to track down a $300 OG copy.”

What album do you wish would be pressed or repressed? Do you think it’ll ever happen? You may have to dig into your CDs or tapes for this one. Screenshot of a streaming is also likely/allowed.

I mean, there's only one choice for this for me. It's gonna happen.

Hey ho, away we go...

Neil Young & Pearl Jam ~ Mirror Ball

View attachment 188741

I think I've asked you this already, but it's been slated for reissue for a while hasn't it?

I think I've asked you this already, but it's been slated for reissue for a while hasn't it?
Yep, Neil mentions on the archives that its coming. I'm assuming in the next box set or two given where he's at in the release cycle.

And given his recent performances of Im The Ocean and Song X on his solo tour, its obviously on his mind.

Day 22: Things we lost saved in the fire

Sonic Youth - Sister
IMG_9292.jpeg
This one is similar to the Dinosaur Jr. album I played earlier in that it’s an original SST pressing of an underground indie rock classic. It also contains original album artwork only found on early pressings. The image of Disneyland had been blacked out on the front cover and an image of a girl on the back cover had also been removed both due to legal issues with the images. Also similarly to The Dinosaurs Jr. album it cost me about a dozen records in trade to cover the asking price. Needless to say I’d be bummed it this one burned up.

November 27
(opening gift): “Ohhh. Cool. ‘Foghat’s Greatest Hits CD.’ Very cool. Thanks, Uncle Gary.”

Play a record that you received as a gift or was recommended to you by a friend or relative. Do you even like it? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Do I need to direct you to the PIF forum again?

This was recommended by a friend of mine, and is definitely a keeper.

John Martyn ~ Solid Air

IMG_4700.jpeg

November 27
(opening gift): “Ohhh. Cool. ‘Foghat’s Greatest Hits CD.’ Very cool. Thanks, Uncle Gary.”
Play a record that you received as a gift or was recommended to you by a friend or relative. Do you even like it? Are you only keeping it because it was a gift? Do I need to direct you to the PIF forum again?

Sade "Love Deluxe" (1992 Epic; 2020 reissue from This Far box set)
I got this as a gift from my wife right after it was released, so in November 2020. Do I like it? Absolutely! My copy of the box set is excellent - I didn't have the filthy record problem some copies had. And, also I sort of suggested the gift, so I better like it. My original UK pressing of Diamond Life does sound better than the reissue in this box (although it's a bit more noisy), but overall the records in here do the trick. I especially like having a copy of this one, Promise and Stronger Than Pride.

IMG_0669.JPG

November 27

Electronic - s/t

PIF from Turbo and loving it. Probably have not listened to this in 25 years and it still hits
IMG_0076.jpg

November 22
“Dad, what do you cherish most?”
“Well, you, of course. And your mother. And my butcher cover copy of the Beatles’ Yesterday and Today.”

If your house was on fire, after saving your family/friends/roommate/humans/pets, you have time to grab only one record before you’re out of there. Which one is it and why-erm, “Bay City Rollers,” you say? What the hell?

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Not really sure this would be the one, but it was saying it needed to be heard today. And it’s an all time classic, so there’s that.

View attachment 188623
That would probably be my second choice, despite being my #1 fave of all time.

November 23
“IIIIIIII… want to thaaank you.. for giving me the best day of my liiiiife”

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I’m thankful for all of you making it this far. Play an album/song that represents what you’re most thankful for, or just a record that you are thankful to own.

Gigi Masin - Talk to the Sea

20231127_155625.jpg

It may not have been the first Music From Memory release I purchased, but it remains my favorite in the catalogue today. Of course, I have Musique Plastique to thank endlessly for introducing the label to me in the first place. A treasure trove of under the radar ambient/electronic/synthpop/Balearic/world music to be discovered for an adventurous listener. Years later being deeply moved from my first in-depth exposure, MFM has become my favorite record label. This compilation is a 90+ min journey across Gigi's career up to 2013, and he is one of my top50 all time. Features the excellent "Call Me" from the timeless Wind.
RIP Jamie Tiller. His attention to detail and curation was second to none. I can only trust that MFM has the right talent in place to continue on in Jamie's honor. I look forward to 10 next month, the final MFM project he was involved in putting together, a compilation aptly named in celebration of the label's 10th anniversary.

Last edited:
Day 21: Happy (Belated) Birthday @Wes C. Attle

Pond - Rock Collection
View attachment 188752

I know Wes digs this one, he helped me get find a defect free copy after I missed the initial Indiegogo preorder.

Great pick. This album (especially the first side) is fantastic and every time I listen to it, I convince myself that it is in my top 10 albums of all time. Which feels crazy to say during times that I’m not listening to it, but I go back to it a lot and it always feels like I’m listening to it for the first time and I wonder if there’s anyone who likes music but doesn’t like this album because I don’t believe it’s possible.

November 27

Bob Dylan - Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue

IMG_6428 Copy.jpeg

A couple years ago, @imtheocean was my secret Santa and I received this wonderful set. It was a perfect choice for me and I still love it. It feels kinda like a holiday album now because it reminds me of first playing it Christmas morning that year

Last edited:
November 27

Bob Dylan - Live 1975 - The Rolling Thunder Revue

View attachment 188835

A couple years ago, @imtheocean was my secret Santa and I received this wonderful set. It was a perfect choice for me and I still love it. It feels kinda like a holiday album now because it reminds me of first playing it Christmas morning that year
It's a MUCH better choice than Bob's actual Christmas album!

Back