Third Man Records Vault

Okay one other question for ya'll about these pressings. So far I have been very unimpressed with the quality of vinyl presses that TMR has put out. Except for the Sleep Vault box every other pressing I've heard from TMR has been pretty shoddy. Lots of pops and crackle, warps etc... I returned both JLH Detroit Sessions RSD standard black edition albums because they sounded so awful, also the dirtiest new records I've ever opened. Have they gotten better with this stuff? I'm already seeing people saying this current Raconteurs Vault Box is a dodgy/poppy pressing too. Opinions? Anyone with a fussy hifi setup like mine?

Okay one other question for ya'll about these pressings. So far I have been very unimpressed with the quality of vinyl presses that TMR has put out. Except for the Sleep Vault box every other pressing I've heard from TMR has been pretty shoddy. Lots of pops and crackle, warps etc... I returned both JLH Detroit Sessions RSD standard black edition albums because they sounded so awful, also the dirtiest new records I've ever opened. Have they gotten better with this stuff? I'm already seeing people saying this current Raconteurs Vault Box is a dodgy/poppy pressing too. Opinions? Anyone with a fussy hifi setup like mine?
I would say they are a step up from GZ generally now that they no longer use United.

Didn't mention Vault specifically, my mistake, but here's the reference i read: Beginning with TMR-009, an additional 50 tri-colored vinyl have been pressed for random distribution in Third Man mail orders. Certain single releases have been sold on tri-colored vinyl available at record stores in the artist's hometown instead of at the Nashville store. An additional 50 are still randomly distributed in mail orders.

from the wikipedia page here.

Interesting if true.

Randomly in mailorder means if they press a new 45, and you preorder it you MIGHT get the tricolor version instead of the standard black.

I'm listening to Help Me Stranger now from the vault through headphones and there is very little noise/popping on my copy. And that's without cleaning. I had one pop and one tick on side one so far. My setup is far from insane HiFi (grado gold, uturn, schiit mani, schiit magni/pioneer receiver, Elac B6 2.0/senn HD 6xx).

EDIT: side two had some crackling in the quiet parts of the last song but not much else. I'll clean and see where it's at.

Last edited:
Devotees may recall that Jack is obsessed with the number 3. As it stands right now, he's put out 3 solo albums, 3 with the Raconteurs, 3 with the dead weather, and 6 (3*2) with the White Stripes (all studio albums). Is this just a crazy coincidence? Or should we read it deeper? I fear he's either not going to continue with any more of his current projects to keep things in line with his favorite number. I realize that's crazy but I'm on cold medicine.

Devotees may recall that Jack is obsessed with the number 3. As it stands right now, he's put out 3 solo albums, 3 with the Raconteurs, 3 with the dead weather, and 6 (3*2) with the White Stripes (all studio albums). Is this just a crazy coincidence? Or should we read it deeper? I fear he's either not going to continue with any more of his current projects to keep things in line with his favorite number. I realize that's crazy but I'm on cold medicine.
he is going for 666

He's hiding Meg in one of these cities:

Cities on the 33 degree latitude

33N passes within half a degree the following major cities:

• San Diego, California, USA
  • Phoenix, Arizona, USA
  • Dallas, Texas, USA
  • Tripoli, Libya
  • Damascus, Syria
  • Baghdad, Iraq
  • Isfahan, Iran
  • Longnan, China
  • Hanzhong, China
  • Ankang, China
  • Shiyan, China
  • Nanyang, China
  • Zhumadian, China
  • Fuyang, China
  • Huainan, China
  • Bengbu, China
  • Yancheng, China

• Phoenix, Arizona, USA
  • Dallas, Texas, USA
  • Tripoli, Libya
  • Damascus, Syria
  • Baghdad, Iraq
  • Isfahan, Iran
  • Longnan, China
  • Hanzhong, China
  • Ankang, China
  • Shiyan, China
  • Nanyang, China
  • Zhumadian, China
  • Fuyang, China
  • Huainan, China
  • Bengbu, China
  • Yancheng, China
Bold assumption that he'd keep her in a city. This is Jack were talking about.

• Phoenix, Arizona, USA
  • Dallas, Texas, USA
  • Tripoli, Libya
  • Damascus, Syria
  • Baghdad, Iraq
  • Isfahan, Iran
  • Longnan, China
  • Hanzhong, China
  • Ankang, China
  • Shiyan, China
  • Nanyang, China
  • Zhumadian, China
  • Fuyang, China
  • Huainan, China
  • Bengbu, China
  • Yancheng, China

"Yeah, I got one in California and one back in Detroit
I got one in California and one back in Detroit
I brought my woman to Nashville, cast a bottle with her daddy all night"

They’re usually very well done. Very dynamic. I think the Hooker was a bad run for whatever reason. Maybe the age of the masters? The Vault pressings are very good. Maybe not as good as some Pallas pressings but very good.

I just saw the Vault post about the NY club shows this past weekend. I acknowledge that this is my fault and I guess I should check the site at least daily...but would it kill them to send an email around about something like that?

My package finally arrived. I’ve been through the album a couple of times since it came out - during commutes, in the background while cooking dinner, that sort of thing - but I’ve put off really sitting down with it until I had this copy. Unsurprisingly I like it a lot more so far now. Looking forward to seeing them later this year (although I’m still a little annoyed that I missed out on he club shows this weekend).

Oh and @Mather I had a couple of pretty big pops at the end of track 2 but otherwise side A has been great pressing-wise (I did not clean before playing other than the usual swipes with the brush).

Delivery day. I swear to god I thought they adhered the lenticular sideways. But in the end I was able to beat the shrinkwrap. Tiny victories.

Did they ship your LP outside of the outer sleeve? It looks like they did, and I think they’ve always done that in the past on the packages I’ve received. But this time my LP shipped inside, and there’s that telltale bruising on the top of the sleeve. Not the worst I’ve ever seen but a bit disappointing.

Did they ship your LP outside of the outer sleeve? It looks like they did, and I think they’ve always done that in the past on the packages I’ve received. But this time my LP shipped inside, and there’s that telltale bruising on the top of the sleeve. Not the worst I’ve ever seen but a bit disappointing.
Nope mine was in the sleeve and shrinkwrapped. No splitting, luckily.

Back