Third Man Records Vault

So we think the 5CD will include *everything*? Not looking to buy multiple formats, and I think this sort of thing makes way more sense for me digitally. Though I also just bought the live '66 box and I certainly shouldn't get in the habit of buying all of them.
I think it safe to say the 5cd version covers everything on all the other releases

As much as I love Bob, I don’t think this is something I need. These massive outtake/alternate dumps of his are things I stream once and say ”huh that’s kind of interesting”, not things I need on my shelf.

Also, I wouldn’t call this “overpriced” necessarily, but otherwise I stand by this:

Just got mine yesterday, going to listen this morning but I agree with this. It‘s not up to the usual standards for a Vault release in terms of packaging. And it got me to go back to the original announcement to see how they described it then, and a previously-overlooked detail caught my eye this time:

“Third Man Records, in conjunction with Sony Music...”

Strong chance that 1-2 Vaults a year start turning into just overpriced Sony catalog releases.
(Sorry for the formatting snafu)

I was so excited by this I broke my own rules and reupped my vault subscription prior to the last day of the quarter. This is going to need me up haha

As much as I love Bob, I don’t think this is something I need. These massive outtake/alternate dumps of his are things I stream once and say ”huh that’s kind of interesting”, not things I need on my shelf.

Also, I wouldn’t call this “overpriced” necessarily, but otherwise I stand by this:

I'm in the same boat- I LOVE Dylan, but a box set of oddities from the 80's era that isn't the cream of the CD box is just going to get played once and take up space. With the incoming LCD Last Goodbye, Almost Famous deluxe and Sleater-Kinney boxes I just ordered, shelf space is now in serious demand.

Anybody see this? Opening a London store & "the Third Man Webstore (soon to be expanding to the UK/EU)"

I don't know if this will mean cheap vinyl or vault subscriptions or more expensive, should they stiff use with the exchange rate ass most people seem to do.

The prices will be a fair bit more expensive even if they’re fair on the exchange rate. If they’re selling in the U.K./EU they’ll have to charge the VAT. The US store doesn't and most of mine squeak through customs without them noticing…

Last edited:
Sadly buying items in the 3rd Man Store is no cheaper than buying them anywhere else. You gotta pay for the tourist trap and ambiance.

TBH I'm not talking about the physical store, just the fact that they will use that as a European HQ and expand the webstore to the UK & EU. I wonder if that means they will change our Vault subscriptions

Sadly buying items in the 3rd Man Store is no cheaper than buying them anywhere else. You gotta pay for the tourist trap and ambiance.
The TMR in Detroit is gentrification city and definitely has a tourist trap vibe. You've got to pay for parking for one. The one in Nashville has quite a bit of personality at least and has more of a record store vibe. I'd anticipate this one to be much more like the Detroit one.

The TMR in Detroit is gentrification city and definitely has a tourist trap vibe. You've got to pay for parking for one. The one in Nashville has quite a bit of personality at least and has more of a record store vibe. I'd anticipate this one to be much more like the Detroit one.

There won't be any parking at the Soho store, but I'm sure the coffee & beer will be expensive :)
I don't live in London, but have worked there (before the pandemic) & our London office is in Soho. To be fair, the location is very close to a bunch of other record shops, historically there were lots of record shops on Berwick street, there are still 3 or 4 worth looking at, so it's a good location.

There won't be any parking at the Soho store, but I'm sure the coffee & beer will be expensive :)
I don't live in London, but have worked there (before the pandemic) & our London office is in Soho. To be fair, the location is very close to a bunch of other record shops, historically there were lots of record shops on Berwick street, there are still 3 or 4 worth looking at, so it's a good location.
Yeah its a prime location, I will definitely check it out when it opens. I agree that it would be fantastic if they started shipping Vault releases from here for the UK/European market. Fingers crossed.

My residing memory of the area is that it’s full of absolute wankers so a hipster TMR will probably fit in nicely

Yeah its a prime location, I will definitely check it out when it opens. I agree that it would be fantastic if they started shipping Vault releases from here for the UK/European market. Fingers crossed.

Pesimist here doesn’t think you’ll save too much. Addition of 20% VAT (or 23% for me) v saving on the $20 extra shipping levy…

Back