A Simple Twist Of Fate - The Bob Dylan Thread

Joe Mac

A new home for one of the greats!

I’ll kick off with the lyrics to what is possibly my all time favourite song!

They sat together in the park
As the evening sky grew dark
She looked at him and he felt a spark
Tingle to his bones
'Twas then he felt alone
And wished that he'd gone straight
And watched out for a simple twist of fate
They walked along by the old canal
A little confused, I remember well
And stopped into a strange hotel
With a neon burnin' bright
He felt the heat of the night
Hit him like a freight train
Moving with a simple twist of fate
A saxophone someplace far-off played
As she was walkin' on by the arcade
As the light bust through a beat-up shade
Where he was waking up
She dropped a coin into the cup
Of a blind man at the gate
And forgot about a simple twist of fate
He woke up, the room was bare
He didn't see her anywhere
He told himself he didn't care
Pushed the window open wide
Felt an emptiness inside
To which he just could not relate
Brought on by a simple twist of fate
He hears the ticking of the clocks
And walks along with a parrot that talks
Hunts her down by the waterfront docks
Where the sailors all come in
Maybe she'll pick him out again
How long must he wait?
One more time, for a simple twist of fate
People tell me it's a sin
To know and feel too much within
I still believe she was my twin
But I lost the ring
She was born in spring
But I was born too late
Blame it on a simple twist of fate

Did you book the morning off work to create threads ? 😀😀

Top work! Another artist I’m purchasing one a month although I’m a couple of releases ahead of where I’ve been listening. Up to Desire so far and while I’ve been listening to the bootleg stuff, I’m trying to forget it exists for purchase. Man this shit goes deeeeep....

Top work! Another artist I’m purchasing one a month although I’m a couple of releases ahead of where I’ve been listening. Up to Desire so far and while I’ve been listening to the bootleg stuff, I’m trying to forget it exists for purchase. Man this shit goes deeeeep....

I don’t start till 10 haha!

And yeah I’ve been buying Dylan on vinyl at a frightening rate recently but there is just so much of it!

And yeah I’ve been buying Dylan on vinyl at a frightening rate recently but there is just so much of it!
It’s not even funny how much there is and how often they continue to release it. I always detested Dylan until around 12 months ago. It was actually easier to avoid it than to have the heartache of all the wants I have!

It’s not even funny how much there is and how often they continue to release it. I always detested Dylan until around 12 months ago. It was actually easier to avoid it than to have the heartache of all the wants I have!

Once you get Slow Train Coming I’d advise skipping forward to Time Out Of Mind. The stuff in between is his least essential phase and you can always go back to it later on if the completionsist bug bites hard!

I saw you mentioned me your next crazy Bob Dylan purchase! I have to say that I am proud of you!

I saw you mentioned me your next crazy Bob Dylan purchase! I have to say that I am proud of you!

Well that was my last crazy Bob Dylan purchase from that mad Saturday morning, they just hadn’t made me pay for it yet and that official launch email from Mofi yesterday makes my day of reckoning that much closer...

Well that was my last crazy Bob Dylan purchase from that mad Saturday morning, they just hadn’t made me pay for it yet and that official launch email from Mofi yesterday makes my day of reckoning that much closer...
That Saturday will go down in the annals as the greatest day for music purchases ever. I completed Genesis and Queen discographies on that day too.

Anyone have/planning on picking up the Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Rolling Thunder Revue? I've been streaming the 22-song set available online (I think the same as the vinyl track listing) in anticipation of Scorsese's film coming out in a couple weeks. The 14-CD set might be overkill, though.

Anyone have/planning on picking up the Bootleg Series Vol. 5: Rolling Thunder Revue? I've been streaming the 22-song set available online (I think the same as the vinyl track listing) in anticipation of Scorsese's film coming out in a couple weeks. The 14-CD set might be overkill, though.

Oh god all the big cd sets are overkill! I’d like to get all of the bootlegs but I am more than happy with just the more condensed vinyl versions!

Oh god all the big cd sets are overkill! I’d like to get all of the bootlegs but I am more than happy with just the more condensed vinyl versions!
I'm not sure there's any such thing as overkill when it comes to Dylan (or Miles or the Beatles). I love it all. And you never know what you're missing. There was a lot of great stuff not on the Cutting Edge boxset (as well as a lot of dross).

So, I'm still excited for the Netflix documentary, but, hearing that Scorsese did some creative things with some of the folks interviewed has me a little less hyped. I would have preferred a more straightforward and honest approach to covering the story of that tour, and it sounds like we aren't getting that exactly. Still, apparently the live footage of the performances is fantastic, so I'm looking forward to that.

I typically don't go in for the big CD boxsets but I couldn't resist this most recent one. Only listened to a couple of discs so far and absolutely don't regret the purchase. I'll probably watch the film tonight. Bob's the best.

The Scorsese flick (not a doco, not really, I don’t think) looks great

Blood on the Tracks is my favourite album of all time
I go back and forth on whether I slightly prefer Blonde on Blonde or Blood on the Tracks but they're both in my top 5 all time. Blood on the Tracks is the more consistent, unified piece of work but Blonde on Blonde has Visions of Johanna.

I'm actually kind of pumped that the Scorsese film isn't a straight documentary. I think Dylan probably works better that way. Just look at I'm Not There, which was eminently better than No Direction Home, in my opinion. Not sure if I'll be able to watch it till Friday.

I'm actually kind of pumped that the Scorsese film isn't a straight documentary. I think Dylan probably works better that way. Just look at I'm Not There, which was eminently better than No Direction Home, in my opinion. Not sure if I'll be able to watch it till Friday.

I expect swerves from Dylan, so I guess I'm not totally surprised that there are creative liberties being taken with the documentary format for this latest Rolling Thunder one. I mean, 'Don't Look Back' feels rather staged in places to me, so this has been the game for a while. That's actually why I liked "No Direction Home" so much though...it was fairly a fairly straightforward look at Dylan for once.

Back