Third Man Records Vault

Spun my copy of Whatcha Doin' yesterday. I liked the music, but my copy sounded a little distorted. I'll maybe give it another clean to see if that fixes it.

I'm starting to find that my favorite thing with Vault packages are the photo books you see on reissues. I really enjoy seeing those old film shots.
Could be the masters. I am guessing they weren’t the best.

Could be the masters. I am guessing they weren’t the best.

The sound was not great.. I have to say the packaging was terrible also. Not that i wanted a triple gatefold or box set archival quality, but maybe a cohesive package wouldnt have been too much to ask. There are 2 discs in separate sleeves, and a book that's too big to fit in the sleeve with the record without warping it. For $60 bucks!

Now the White Stripes XX box coming next is basically a fan bundle of extras that doesn't include the actual album!?!

I love third man records in general but they are pricing themselves out of my league with some of this stuff.

The sound was not great.. I have to say the packaging was terrible also. Not that i wanted a triple gatefold or box set archival quality, but maybe a cohesive package wouldnt have been too much to ask. There are 2 discs in separate sleeves, and a book that's too big to fit in the sleeve with the record without warping it. For $60 bucks!

Now the White Stripes XX box coming next is basically a fan bundle of extras that doesn't include the actual album!?!

I love third man records in general but they are pricing themselves out of my league with some of this stuff.
Agreed. I don’t get them all. Just jump in and out depending on what it is. Some packages are great some are underwhelming. Agreed Vault 42 seems like it should include a remastered original but the rest of the package looks killer so I’m on the fence.

Agreed. I don’t get them all. Just jump in and out depending on what it is. Some packages are great some are underwhelming. Agreed Vault 42 seems like it should include a remastered original but the rest of the package looks killer so I’m on the fence.

Im only getting the White Stripes package because I thought the Icky Thump one was so well done, im hoping it will be a similar quality. Still baffles me that they haven't included the actual album in a package that celebrates the album....

After this im likely to cancel my membership tbh.

Im only getting the White Stripes package because I thought the Icky Thump one was so well done, im hoping it will be a similar quality. Still baffles me that they haven't included the actual album in a package that celebrates the album....

It's definitely getting harder to justify the price, even though most packages I end up really digging.

I'm guessing that most White Stripes fans have the original, but even so, I was hoping for a remaster.

It's definitely getting harder to justify the price, even though most packages I end up really digging.
Especially if you’re an international member
I'm guessing that most White Stripes fans have the original, but even so, I was hoping for a remaster.
Yeah and I get that logic but at the same time to not have the album you are exploring/celebrating in a package that includes everything from vinyl to dvds is kind of a weird concept.

Yeah and I get that logic but at the same time to not have the album you are exploring/celebrating in a package that includes everything from vinyl to dvds is kind of a weird concept.
[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. I'm passing on the package as is, but would definitely have been in if the original album was included.

Especially if you’re an international member

It makes me wonder if they are doing a wider press of the repress for Black Friday or something.

I wonder if those are the keychain viewers they gave out at the NYE 2003 show with the Flaming Lips. The inside is a note to have a great 2004 or something. Still have mine somewhere...

FWIW - I was going to pass on this Vault package since I already have the original album, but the podcasts are sucking me in. I think this package plays well off of that and might have some interesting stuff.

I had the address confirmation email for the Vault package yesterday. Looks like they are going to be shipping out soon. Really excited for this one!

For those of you that are looking to continue membership they also sent out info on the price increase.

I had the address confirmation email for the Vault package yesterday. Looks like they are going to be shipping out soon. Really excited for this one!

For those of you that are looking to continue membership they also sent out info on the price increase.

Price increase??!?! F that, it's overpriced now.

It'd make a remote amount of sense (but not really) if they were trying to recoup costs that the secondary market sees, but 9 out of the last 10 vaults go DOWN in second market value, so I'm not sure I understand the price hike. If someone could post this info they sent as to why the price increase, it'd be appreciated.

It'd make a remote amount of sense (but not really) if they were trying to recoup costs that the secondary market sees, but 9 out of the last 10 vaults go DOWN in second market value, so I'm not sure I understand the price hike. If someone could post this info they sent as to why the price increase, it'd be appreciated.
As much as I have enjoyed the packages I have got so far I have asked to cancel my sub after this one. Its already a crazy price to be paying as an international.

I'm not sure I understand the price hike. If someone could post this info they sent as to why the price increase, it'd be appreciated.

It seems like they want us to pay for flexibility and they’re trying to push us towards the new annual subscription...

ATTN. VAULT MEMBERS! As a reminder, beginning November 1st the Vault subscription price will increase by $5 per quarter. This means your recurring payment amount will increase by $5 USD unless you cancel your subscription before your next payment date.
We will also be offering an annual Vault Subscription option for the first time, which you will pay for upfront in full. This option will not include the price increase mentioned above, so the annual cost (4 quarters) breaks down to $240 US, $280 CAN, $320 INTL. This option will renew automatically every year from the date your annual subscription begins. Please note: Vault packages cannot be returned or exchanged, annual subscription costs cannot be prorated, and annual subscriptions cannot be paused to skip a particular shipment within the year purchased.

It seems like they want us to pay for flexibility and they’re trying to push us towards the new annual subscription...
I imagine they may have seen a drop or slow down in subscribers seeing as the resale value of a lot of their recent packages are less that the original price (especially as an international). Why sign up for a specific release when you might be able to get it cheaper on the secondary market?

Well by forcing yearly subs they are playing with the FOMO of at least 1 really special release that will have its value increase on the secondary market. Personally theres too many unknowns which I wouldn't be up for buying, really its only the jack white stuff that interests me, so thats why I have cancelled and wont be subbing for the year.

I imagine they may have seen a drop or slow down in subscribers seeing as the resale value of a lot of their recent packages are less that the original price (especially as an international). Why sign up for a specific release when you might be able to get it cheaper on the secondary market?

Well by forcing yearly subs they are playing with the FOMO of at least 1 really special release that will have its value increase on the secondary market. Personally theres too many unknowns which I wouldn't be up for buying, really its only the jack white stuff that interests me, so thats why I have cancelled and wont be subbing for the year.
Same. For me, retaining optionality is well worth $5/quarter.

I agree with @mgp that the purpose of the price change is to push people toward the annual subs so they can lock in demand. I'd imagine that the swing they see between a Stripes or JW focused package and like the Sleep or Beefheart ones is dramatic. Would have been a much better look to offer the annual sub at a discount to the current price (like $55/quarter), but an 8.3% increase (after what? 10 years?) isn't that tough to swallow.

Same. For me, retaining optionality is well worth $5/quarter.

I agree with @mgp that the purpose of the price change is to push people toward the annual subs so they can lock in demand. I'd imagine that the swing they see between a Stripes or JW focused package and like the Sleep or Beefheart ones is dramatic. Would have been a much better look to offer the annual sub at a discount to the current price (like $55/quarter), but an 8.3% increase (after what? 10 years?) isn't that tough to swallow.
I guess it depends upon how much value you put on the albums/packages they have been putting out. I will hold my hands up to being a casual Third Man fan, so the price they originally set was at the high end for me as it was, combine this with the fact that I can no longer choose if I want the next vault package or not then im not comfortable paying anymore.

Back