The VPI Turntable Thread

I’ve found my Traveler to be somewhat sensitive to the stand it’s on. On my heavily weighted MDF stand, it sings. On my metal legged Pangea stand, I wince. Anyone else seeing VPI stand sensitivities?

Interesting... never really considered the differences a stand could make regarding sound outside of speaker stands.. look forward to seeing the responses you get to this.

Interesting... never really considered the differences a stand could make regarding sound outside of speaker stands.. look forward to seeing the responses you get to this.
The PLX-1000 I have seems less impacted by the stand it’s on than the Traveler. The “DJ” design for reduced feedback may be the reason why.

The Traveler has simple feet that can be replaced but in the main system, it’s not a problem. I keep the PLX on the Pangea stand with no issues.

VPI has had many different foot designs over the years; even the Traveler was produced with two different foot designs,

Last edited:
Every now and then when I think vinyl is not worth the hassle and expense, something wonderful happens.

Yesterday, it was putting on the new Tone Poet "Picture of Heath" after a morning of streaming SiriusXM. The clarity and intimacy of the record on the Traveler/Hana SL combo made me sit up straight and just listen.

I need more moments like that!

Every now and then when I think vinyl is not worth the hassle and expense, something wonderful happens.

Yesterday, it was putting on the new Tone Poet "Picture of Heath" after a morning of streaming SiriusXM. The clarity and intimacy of the record on the Traveler/Hana SL combo made me sit up straight and just listen.

So well put. These are the moments we chase!

best thing since sliced bread

DSC_4231.jpg

I had a Q up which was ok but kinda 'springy' when lifting the arm.
The AT is nice and slow.
The quirk with the arm lifters is that you have to remove them every time you swap carts in order to set the gauge.

That Tone Poet is super sounding.
It really test people's systems and brings out any flaws it seems.

best thing since sliced bread

View attachment 165348

I had a Q up which was ok but kinda 'springy' when lifting the arm.
The AT is nice and slow.
The quirk with the arm lifters is that you have to remove them every time you swap carts in order to set the gauge.

I've thought about switching my Q-Up to one of these.

I may actually do it this year....but as it is, I do love the Q-Up, and I agree that it is a bit springy.

Hey @Mather - don't know if you're totally sold on a Classic or not, but just saw a single owner, one year old Prime 21 under $3K get crossposted on Audiogon and the VPI Toy Box Facebook group. Just wanted to give you a heads up!
Thanks for the heads up, that's a great deal and honestly if it was walnut I'd be seriously considering it. But at this point I'm kinda looking at the Classic Signature as my end game table, and one of the big selling points of that is how upgradeable it is in terms of parts. So I don't need to buy a new table in the future, but I can play with upgrading it to keep that itch scratched. Although I did just discover that it's so tall that I'll have to actually raise my projector screen in order to fit the Classic under it.

Although I did just discover that it's so tall that I'll have to actually raise my projector screen in order to fit the Classic under it.
Yeah, that is also a concern of mine for a VPI upgrade. My TV is wall mounted, and with a dust cover, height would likely be cutting it very close. The Cliffwood is relatively low profile for a VPI. They’ve been hot rodding them with a JMW-9 unipivot and a Scout platter - definitely has crossed my mind!

Anyway, right on. The Classics are so nice!

Yeah, that is also a concern of mine for a VPI upgrade. My TV is wall mounted, and with a dust cover, height would likely be cutting it very close. The Cliffwood is relatively low profile for a VPI. They’ve been hot rodding them with a JMW-9 unipivot and a Scout platter - definitely has crossed my mind!

Anyway, right on. The Classics are so nice!
I wouldn't upgrade a Cliffwood.

Better to just move up the line.

Back