The VPI Turntable Thread

From what I've read, VPI is like a custom hot rod shop: lot's of parts around waiting to be used.
Basically they can assemble a tt to whatever level they want and in-between; that's how Upscale can get proprietary models or special deals.
One of the reasons I went VPI is that it's so modular and upgradeable.
If you are serious, I'm betting a call to VPI and all your dreams can come true. If they don't have it on a shelf they can probably make it or modify it.
Absolutely - I'm thinking about it! Would effectively have to weigh cost of that vs upgrading my Cliffwood's arm, platter, and feet, vs what a Classic Sig with a gimbal is going for on the used market.

The Classic with gimbal is definitely a better buy, though.
Yeah, and I think that's ultimately what it comes down to is that you get your best bang for your buck when you purchase an entire pre-built table from them. Probably still a couple years off from sinking $3K+ into a new deck! Still plenty of moments with the humble Cliffwood where I get completely lost in what I'm listening to.

Yeah, and I think that's ultimately what it comes down to is that you get your best bang for your buck when you purchase an entire pre-built table from them. Probably still a couple years off from sinking $3K+ into a new deck! Still plenty of moments with the humble Cliffwood where I get completely lost in what I'm listening to.
I buy used. Even my “new” Luxman had been used for a few months. A first gen Classic can be had for less than $2000. I’ve seen a few used Classics with the gimbal for sale, but I don’t recall prices offhand.

I buy used. Even my “new” Luxman had been used for a few months. A first gen Classic can be had for less than $2000. I’ve seen a few used Classics with the gimbal for sale, but I don’t recall prices offhand.
Oh, for SURE! My Cliffwood was Turntable Lab's in-store unit ;)

I haven't seen anything but a Classic Sig with the 10" gimbal, but point me in that direction if you see an older one with one!

The Classic Signature is the one I'm aiming for as well, what's the deal with the gimbal arm? Explain.
The classic VPI Classic has a unipivot tonearm bearing. They can be very transparent but wobble a lot which unnerves some people.

The gimbal bearing is the one on the VPI Prime 21. It’s a more conventional two axis bearing. The first one VPI made was used on the Traveler. Some people (including me) are more confident handling a tonearm with a gimbal bearing than a unipivot.

The classic VPI Classic has a unipivot tonearm bearing. They can be very transparent but wobble a lot which unnerves some people.

The gimbal bearing is the one on the VPI Prime 21. It’s a more conventional two axis bearing. The first one VPI made was used on the Traveler. Some people (including me) are more confident handling a tonearm with a gimbal bearing than a unipivot.
Okay seems like the new models have the gimbal either way so, good.

Okay seems like the new models have the gimbal either way so, good.
Yup. All the new Classic Signatures and Prime 21s have them. The unipivot sounds great, but they’re just a bit of a pain in the ass - both in setup and execution. I could likely live with one, but if I’m going to go for a substantial upgrade, I want the 10” gimbal.

The only time I mess with my arm is like everyone else: when I change carts. It's just an extra step to check azimuth.
Then it's set and forget.
I'll admit to messing with it when I first got it, but then I learned to trust it and now, just leave it alone.
It's only a PITA if you want it to be.

The only time I mess with my arm is like everyone else: when I change carts. It's just an extra step to check azimuth.
Then it's set and forget.
I'll admit to messing with it when I first got it, but then I learned to trust it and now, just leave it alone.
It's only a PITA if you want it to be.
Do you find it difficult to queue up at all? I found it tricky to get it just right to land in the lead-in groove.

Do you find it difficult to queue up at all? I found it tricky to get it just right to land in the lead-in groove.
Only when the cart is too high off the vinyl. Then I adjust the height of the lever lift so the cart sits closer to the vinyl as it’s easier estimate the ’drop zone.’
Now I have the AT arm lift so I rarely use the lever to cue, I do it manually. I find a little pressure towards the pivot helps me control the arm a little better.

The size of the Classic Signature is the primary thing that dissuaded me from getting one. It’s around sixty pounds including the twenty pound platter - massive.

You’ll need a very sturdy rack since putting it on top means a high center of gravity. My back did not like moving around my 50 lb. Bryston amp, and it has handles.

I had not seen one in person, but I do recall seeing a video of Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio standing behind one and it made him look tiny.

Last edited:
The size of the Classic Signature is the primary thing that dissuaded me from getting one.
Same here. I’m not sure it would fit (with a dust cover) with where my TV is currently mounted above it, and I’m really not looking to do that project over again!!

Btw totally off topic - is the Traveler arm 9.5 or 10 inches? Or does it vary from version to version?

Signature Classic question. I have a IsoAcoustics platter under my current TT. But honestly the Signature Classic may actually be too big to fit on the platter. Are there any reasons this table should or should not use a iso platter?

It may not need it. The Classic Signature has improved feet and part of the appeal of a massive design is that it resists vibrations better.

It likely depends on your stand. Isoacoustics does make a version of their platform big enough to fit the Classic Signature. 😁

goofing around

GKFHLFM.jpeg

Back