The VPI Turntable Thread

I was lucky enough to join a group audio club zoom call with Mat Wiesfeld as the featured guest. He was great to talk to, and really kind of changed my view of the brand. I always thought their products looked cool, and I’ve been very impressed the few times I’ve heard them. But their focus on keeping the business as a family operation and focus on customers was really great. Mat was very open and candid with us, and he’s a breath of fresh air as a leader in the industry. He also had a great story of why the gimbal arm really has come around (it involved drinking and a very high end cart). He still prefers the unipivot, but he said if you don’t hear them side by side frequently you might have a hard time really detecting differences.

I’d love to say only the sound should count, but I’d be lying if I said that experience didn’t influence my opinion of VPI. I will give their products some serious consideration the next time I’m in the market.

I’ve long lusted after the looks of their designs, but not I have a better understanding of the pride of ownership often affiliated with their products.

Yeah, I was thinking about where else we could use the white lamp too. Plus they raised the price $10
I'd love to have a black, but I'll wait until this one craps out or my wife ends up wanting it in another room or something.
Ikea has some nice task lamps, I have a couple one has a base, the other a clamp.

They wrote back about my issue a few weeks ago...asking for a photo of the main board.

I just haven't had time to take my TT offline and do it yet...but I will.

In the meantime, the power brick has developed a loud-ish hum that goes away when I start the TT. I want to replace it, but I really don't know what I can get that is equal to this one...or at least compatible.

_DSC0002.JPG

Mouser and Digikey no longer have this, so I'm not sure where else to look.

This is a great deal for a Traveler and Zephyr cartridge. I’m not affiliated with the seller, just wanted to share.

Red VPI Scout Jr. with Ortofon 2M Red - $1300 (ask @JohnnyCashFan how he likes his!)

It's a solid table, quiet, good arm (upgradeble), hand made in New Jersey, and parts should always be available. I think you can probably talk them down or get a better cart. I got mine before the pandemic for 700 with some replacement parts! Saying that I would probbaly trade mine for a good HW19mk 2-4 if I ran across one, I just like the slightly older models a little bit more.

I was thinking of @JohnnyCashFan 's recommendation of negotiating for a better cartridge when I decided to look at the Audio Classics cartridge selections. Superficially, I thought a "matching" red cartridge would be nice. Was hit with cold water when I saw that the Ortofon Cadenza Red cartridge costs more than the turntable! :oops:

I was really only looking for the *Quintet* Red, but, sheesh!

Being that this is the VPI thread, I've basically come to the conclusion that there is very little that would compel me to move from my Traveler other than aesthetics or an "insurance" event. I've read many other reviews and table measurements to realize that audible improvements are slight in moving up to more expensive tables.

That being said, I find the Luxman PD-151 to be a sexy little number that could get $5000 from me if I ever lost my mind. It won't sound a lot better than my Traveler, but after losing my mind, it would make me feel better than a VPI Prime 21. The Technics SL-1200G is the current gem, but I'd prefer The Star of Bombay to the industry's Hope Diamond. Madness is compelling.

Being that this is the VPI thread, I've basically come to the conclusion that there is very little that would compel me to move from my Traveler other than aesthetics or an "insurance" event. I've read many other reviews and table measurements to realize that audible improvements are slight in moving up to more expensive tables.

That being said, I find the Luxman PD-151 to be a sexy little number that could get $5000 from me if I ever lost my mind. It won't sound a lot better than my Traveler, but after losing my mind, it would make me feel better than a VPI Prime 21. The Technics SL-1200G is the current gem, but I'd prefer The Star of Bombay to the industry's Hope Diamond. Madness is compelling.
If your going to upgrade the only reasons I would is for a Classic or a full Scout with heavier Plinth/Platter, or better arm ie JWM Memorial 12" for ie.

My retirement VPI will either be a Classic or HW19 Mk2-4 with a outer rim and Platinum 3 one day.

Last edited:
Yup, I've come to this conclusion as well. I've spoken with several Cliffwood owners who have upgraded, and when I asked purely about sonics, the adjectives that were used were, "slight," "negligible," and "a bit." Not one said anything remotely close to, "holy smokes - it's a no brainer!!" And when I consider what I ended up paying for mine, makes it an even easier decision. Would be even further easier if I had a Traveler, I'm sure!

I also am using a Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 with it, and that has made the table remarkably even better for me - more than I ever anticipated it would have. Your only option further up the chain is VPI's speed controller, which is quite a pretty penny for what it is.

I also am using a Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 with it, and that has made the table remarkably even better for me - more than I ever anticipated it would have.
I was reminded of this exchange with Harry W. in the Stereophile review of the Traveler:

“Unlike my Rega and many low-cost turntables driven by DC motors, the Traveler's AC synchronous motor runs on the stable 60Hz line frequency, and is said to be immune to voltage variances. I asked Harry Weisfeld to explain.

"An AC motor knows where it is. A DC motor knows where it was."

I asked Harry Weisfeld to explain.

"An AC synchronous motor reads the line frequency coming from the wall, which, in the US, will always be 60Hz. The motor's rotational speed (600rpm, in the case of the Traveler) is set by the line frequency. You can vary the voltage from 70 to 140V, and the speed will still be 600rpm. If you slow the platter down with your finger, the motor will fight you to get back to the correct speed of 600rpm—it's a known, fixed item."”

Shortly thereafter, the Traveler 2.0 was released with a DC motor!

VPI Traveler v2 with Hana SL

If you get the idea I’m trying to hype the Traveler, you’re right! I have a similar rig to this (v1.1 instead of v2) and I’m very happy with it.

For giggles and grins, I joined the VPI Forum a couple of weeks ago. I posted this question:

I've owned a Traveler 1.1 for several years which I thoroughly enjoy. I have the opportunity to purchase a Scout II from a friend at a reasonable price. What should I expect to hear different with the Scout II vs. the Traveler?

I got zero responses, even from the VPI employees! Perhaps there was distain that I was a Forum newbie asking such a puerile question, but I took it as a positive sign that there was not much more different to hear! Perhaps if I had asked about a rosewood Prime Signature instead … 😄

For giggles and grins, I joined the VPI Forum a couple of weeks ago. I posted this question:

I got zero responses, even from the VPI employees! Perhaps there was distain that I was a Forum newbie asking such a puerile question, but I took it as a positive sign that there was not much more different to hear! Perhaps if I had asked about a rosewood Prime Signature instead … 😄
pm me and Can hook you up with Harry

my dream is a Classic but I may backgrade to a old HW19 too

Thanks @JohnnyCashFan! I just let the moment pass and the itch to upgrade faded, too. The Scout II is a fine turntable, but I’ll hold out a bit longer. I’m more curious than dissatisfied - do do love that Traveler!

So many upgrades, so much music, so few winning lottery tickets!

I can corroborate, not with firsthand experience, but I’ve had conversations with a few folks on the VPI FB group who upgraded from one of their intro tables to some kind of a Scout, and when I specifically wanted to talk sonics, not one of them said anything definitive or convincing that it was a real step up. If I were to upgrade in the VPI line, I think I’d have to go Prime, but really unsure if I’d ever spend that much on a turntable. I’ve never spent that much on a guitar!

Back