The VPI Turntable Thread

And sorry I added it above after you already read the post but increased static electricity on new table, likely to dissipate? I never really had any issues on my old table but just the vinyl brush alone causes audible pops from static so far on this one, a lot of the vinyl coming off the table seems very static'y, which is not usually the case on my previous table.
I believe that’s pretty normal if you aren’t using a mat- ie record straight on the metal platter.

And last question (for now) for anyone with the gimbal arm. The tonearm weight adjustment, no way to lock it huh? My adjustment knob is pretty loosy goosey, I cannot imagine it's going to stay where I set it.

The counterweight should have a set screw in it.

View attachment 175778

Yep, all VPI weights lock. Should be there, @Mather!
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The weight is locked with the set screw what I meant was the adjustment dial has almost no friction on it, so I can't imagine it's not going to shift just from normal play over several hours/days. But I'll keep an eye on it. Although I already had one, the table actually came with a digital tracking force guage, which I thought was kinda wild.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The weight is locked with the set screw what I meant was the adjustment dial has almost no friction on it, so I can't imagine it's not going to shift just from normal play over several hours/days. But I'll keep an eye on it. Although I already had one, the table actually came with a digital tracking force guage, which I thought was kinda wild.
The VTA dial, you mean? Should be a locking screw for that as well that you can grab with your hand.

The VTA dial, you mean? Should be a locking screw for that as well that you can grab with your hand.
No the counterweight adjustment dial that sits behind the counter weight. It's a little plastic knob. The set screw just holds the weight on the arm but the adjustment dial actually moves the weight, the dial is quite loose in terms of how easy it is to spin it and move the weight, very little friction. It's working correctly, I just can't imagine b it isn't going to shift.

So the one thing I wasn't sure this table would be able to do was stop heavy footfalls from skipping the tonearm. I was prepared to get a iso platform but hoped against it because good lord the table is big enough already. My spongy 1969s thin board hardwood is bouncy AF and nothing has worked so far, once I got this installed the combined weight of it and the amp underneath is approximately 100 lbs. The floor around the table now feels like concrete. It's seriously so totally non resonant at this point that my wife practically ran past the table and it didn't budge. So as long as my cabinet or floor don't collapse, looks like I finally don't have to worry about footfalls.

So the one thing I wasn't sure this table would be able to do was stop heavy footfalls from skipping the tonearm. I was prepared to get a iso platform but hoped against it because good lord the table is big enough already. My spongy 1969s thin board hardwood is bouncy AF and nothing has worked so far, once I got this installed the combined weight of it and the amp underneath is approximately 100 lbs. The floor around the table now feels like concrete. It's seriously so totally non resonant at this point that my wife practically ran past the table and it didn't budge. So as long as my cabinet or floor don't collapse, looks like I finally don't have to worry about footfalls.
Footfall is a footstep?

And if it comes to the worst you at least have a bonus Murder dungeon vinyl system…

I'll be selling a silver VPI Traveler v2 once I get my act together to get it disassembled and fully repackaged into its original box. It's currently sitting unused under a dustcloth. It will be priced under US$1000. The Traveler/Insight combo is awesome and I sat with that pairing for several years before upgrading.

I have a second black Traveler in my office that is a permanent fixture. I love Travelers.

I'll be selling a silver VPI Traveler v2 once I get my act together to get it disassembled and fully repackaged into its original box. It's currently sitting unused under a dustcloth. It will be priced under US$1000. The Traveler/Insight combo is awesome and I sat with that pairing for several years before upgrading.

I have a second black Traveler in my office that is a permanent fixture. I love Travelers.
No brainer for <$1K

I get a lot static (upon lifting the record) on two of my metal platters with mats. The only one that does not is the one with an "anti-static" mat.
Yeah it doesn't seem to really be adding any noise while I play but holy hell, my Pro Ject had the platter that's coated in the same vinyl as records or something like that and it never had any at all. Not used to this haha

Yeah it doesn't seem to really be adding any noise while I play but holy hell, my Pro Ject had the platter that's coated in the same vinyl as records or something like that and it never had any at all. Not used to this haha
After a few months, does it still sound better to you than the Pro Ject?

After a few months, does it still sound better to you than the Pro Ject?
It does, but I need to adjust the cart. The hyper detail of the JC3+ and the hyper detail of the 2M Black can skew a bit harsh on some pressings but It's fantastic for many others. But if I want to sort of even it out across the spectrum I think somebody's detail has got to go. And that'll be the 2M Black.

Back