The VPI Turntable Thread

You mean you fed your previous table to the VPI, right?
Or that yes.

Now part of the fun thing about the manual being of little to no use is that I now have to remove the carefully aligned stylus to add the damn cue bar that I didn't notice I needed to add until it was too late because the manual makes no mention whatsoever of it or any of the other myriad parts this thing shipped with.

Last edited:
Okay VPI folks, I'm just in the process of setting up the new table and wanted to check on something.. Those of you that have the Gimbal arm (and maybe even those without the Gimbal) do you use the extra anti skate fishing line method, or do you just use the tone arm wire method and disconnect the fishing line method.
I’m currently using the line/anti-skate out of curiosity. But for the last three years I didn’t. Can’t say I notice much difference.

I’m currently using the line/anti-skate out of curiosity. But for the last three years I didn’t. Can’t say I notice much difference.
Yeah I went without last night and I didn't notice any issues either way. The table definitely tracks far above my pro ject.
I find that the rake angle on my cart seems a bit more severe than on the previous table so I'm trying to sort that out. I've currently got the tonearm pretty tail down to try to compensate but I can't decide if I should keep it this way or just go level with it. But even tail down the stylus is still angled too far inward, just a result of how the tip was glued on I suspect. I find Orts are pretty inconsistent stylus to stylus when you actually get in with some magnification and look at it. Either way I'm not hearing any tracking issues in terms of the tonearm being tail down, I'm not certain beyond rake angle if there's other reasons that you want the tonearm perfectly level?

Yeah I went without last night and I didn't notice any issues either way. The table definitely tracks far above my pro ject.
I find that the rake angle on my cart seems a bit more severe than on the previous table so I'm trying to sort that out. I've currently got the tonearm pretty tail down to try to compensate but I can't decide if I should keep it this way or just go level with it. But even tail down the stylus is still angled too far inward, just a result of how the tip was glued on I suspect. I find Orts are pretty inconsistent stylus to stylus when you actually get in with some magnification and look at it. Either way I'm not hearing any tracking issues in terms of the tonearm being tail down, I'm not certain beyond rake angle if there's other reasons that you want the tonearm perfectly level?
Sorry, SRA is a subject beyond vacation Nick.

Ooh, lookie, here’s comes my next mango margarita! Need to eat fruit and all.

Can you post a pic?

Or that yes.

Now part of the fun thing about the manual being of little to no use is that I now have to remove the carefully aligned stylus to add the damn cue bar that I didn't notice I needed to add until it was too late because the manual makes no mention whatsoever of it or any of the other myriad parts this thing shipped with.
I've done it before!!! Solidarity, don't scream too loud!

Can you post a pic?
20230621_121221.jpg20230621_121204.jpg
So it's by no means way off but I've got it tail down to compensate for what I think it's a slightly over angled rake on the Ort Stylus.

Screenshot_20230621_120937_OTG View2.jpg
Screenshot_20230621_121022_OTG View2.jpg

When the table gets moving I suspect that'll force the stylus a bit more upright and probably get it pretty close but I don't really want to come up much on the tonearm or I'm just going to be accentuating that SRA.

Now yes, I know. I'm obviously being picky. It sounds good, I'm just amusing myself by fine tuning I'm just curious if I'm throwing anything else off by having the tonearm not totally level.

That looks perfect. Look how the underside of the cartridge is level to the record. The diamond tip looks at the correct angle too. Well done!
Haha sweet! Thanks. So yeah, in terms of the tonearm being tail down, as long as the cart is lined up it's all good?

And other question, I notice on this deck that when I use my dust brush I'm actually hearing static pops as the brush comes off the platter, never had that before except in instances of crazy static'y vinyl, this is happening almost every time.. And I'm definitely hearing more static clicks and pops during playback then I have before. Now I'd imagine in transit this stuff builds up a charge shuffling around in the foam packing materials etc, so I'm guessing it'll likely dissipate. Are some decks more susceptible to static? It's the same cart so that seemed kinda unlikely to me.

Last edited:
Exactly, with the diamond tilted slightly forward just as you have it.

I’m impressed- you got it right without instructions!
And sorry I added it above after you already read the post but increased static electricity on new table, likely to dissipate? I never really had any issues on my old table but just the vinyl brush alone causes audible pops from static so far on this one, a lot of the vinyl coming off the table seems very static'y, which is not usually the case on my previous table.

Back