The VPI Turntable Thread

It does, but I need to adjust the cart. The hyper detail of the JC3+ and the hyper detail of the 2M Black can skew a bit harsh on some pressings but It's fantastic for many others. But if I want to sort of even it out across the spectrum I think somebody's detail has got to go. And that'll be the 2M Black.
The Hana SL awaits.

The Hana SL awaits.
Yeah I really don't know where I'm going to go. If it's prior to the huge price raise I definitely try the AT ART9 next but with the new pricing and the lack of much in the way of a refurb discount it's much less enticing now. Taking a long look at the SoundSmiths...

Yeah I really don't know where I'm going to go. If it's prior to the huge price raise I definitely try the AT ART9 next but with the new pricing and the lack of much in the way of a refurb discount it's much less enticing now. Taking a long look at the SoundSmiths...

Yeah the Hana SL is great but I don’t think it’s necessarily what I’d go for given your table and if your budget is in the Soundsmith Zepher range. It’s a very good cart but even after a couple of weeks the Quintet Black is just all of it and a good bit more.

Lots of great carts out there. For me, the Hana SL was the right balance of price and performance in a product that requires maintenance/replacement upon 1000 hours of use. The retip cost was about $250 from VAS.

Yeah the Hana SL is great but I don’t think it’s necessarily what I’d go for given your table and if your budget is in the Soundsmith Zepher range. It’s a very good cart but even after a couple of weeks the Quintet Black is just all of it and a good bit more.
Carts are where shit gets real with me and my budget because I don't have any hookups for any cart brands, so suddenly I have to pay full price and considering I have to re buy it every two years or so if I go MC, suddenly I'm a smaller fish in a smaller pond.

Carts are where shit gets real with me and my budget because I don't have any hookups for any cart brands, so suddenly I have to pay full price and considering I have to re buy it every two years or so if I go MC, suddenly I'm a smaller fish in a smaller pond.

Which is where the better soundsmith retip deals definitely warrant a look. I’d just keep the black as a back up because they aren’t always the quickest when they’re actually doing the retip.

Which is where the better soundsmith retip deals definitely warrant a look. I’d just keep the black as a back up because they aren’t always the quickest when they’re actually doing the retip.
Yeah I definitely won't be getting rid of the Black, it's a great backup and honestly I replaced the stylus probably before it needed it so I've got two operational stylus for it basically. My concern with SoundSmiths is what happens when Ledermann retires. Will they continue on with the same quality, or get worse. Or just fold.

I have the Hana ML on my other table, and while I’m happy with it, I can’t say that it’s miles better than the SL in that system. I’m too content/lazy to swap out the ML for the SL for a direct comparison on that same table.

That said, I have no driver to change out the ML; the retip cost was US $360. I’m probably at the point where I will just retip existing carts and try out the others I have that have not graced tonearms yet: SAE 1000E and 1000LT.

Cheers, folks.

First post to this thread but longtime lurker. Here's my chain for starters, follow by questions I currently have for you fine people.

Cambridge CXA81 amp
Darlington Labs MP7/SU-7 tethered pre)
(pending delivery) VPI Classic 3 w/o cart
SS Zephyr low output (on hand)
Snake Oil RCA interconnects
Ascend Acoustics CBM160SE stereo pair
Rythmik 12" sub
Audeze LC2C (when life calls to really listen)

First VPI (new to me, 2nd owner), but not inexperienced with the brand/culture. Completely ignorant to unipivot tonearm, but not scared to take the potential risk versus gimbal.

Coming from a U-Turn Theory with Grado Gold3. I'm quite concerned about getting my Zephyr dialed in because that is also an upgrade, and the new combination of new TT and cart seems overwhelming. Hoping help is available here should I need it

I also wonder given all the documented experience here and elsewhere concerning static and/or potential sonic associated differences... (sorry, had to brake up this awful run on sentence) phew! ...with metal platters, should I invest in a decent mat to circumvent the issue. If any of you have done the same, any recommendations?

Guessing the ISO base for my previous U-Turn Theory won't be compatible/applicable here, no? As such, I'll need to include it in my forthcoming sales listing for said table.

Lastly (for now), do any of you own the periphery ring and center weight accessories? If so, do you find them necessary or are the differences negligible?

Pleasure to be a member of the VPI family, finally!

Best,
CW

Take it easy with the VPI - there will be plenty opportunities to test and tweak. You don’t need to rush into everything at once. A VPI Classic will sound great with only the factory minimum. Try it without a mat before purchasing one. Take your time dialing in the Zephyr before fiddling with anything else. It will sound wonderful when properly aligned. Consider the Soundsmith Counter Intuitive if you have trouble getting the azimuth and stylus pressure correct at the same time.

The Classic typically sells with a screw-on clamp. You’ll probably want that or a center weight; the clamp may be less expensive. The periphery ring is certainly a tweak; don’t worry if you don’t have it straightaway (or ever). You won’t want to use the base you bought for the U-Turn; a Classic is around 50 lbs.

You’ll likely grow to love the Classic and will intuitively figure out which tweaks to pursue, or not.

Take it easy with the VPI - there will be plenty opportunities to test and tweak. You don’t need to rush into everything at once. A VPI Classic will sound great with only the factory minimum. Try it without a mat before purchasing one. Take your time dialing in the Zephyr before fiddling with anything else. It will sound wonderful when properly aligned. Consider the Soundsmith Counter Intuitive if you have trouble getting the azimuth and stylus pressure correct at the same time.

The Classic typically sells with a screw-on clamp. You’ll probably want that or a center weight; the clamp may be less expensive. The periphery ring is certainly a tweak; don’t worry if you don’t have it straightaway (or ever). You won’t want to use the base you bought for the U-Turn; a Classic is around 50 lbs.

You’ll likely grow to love the Classic and will intuitively figure out which tweaks to pursue, or not.
My pocketbook (and wife) thank you.

BTW: should anyone have not picked up on the intentional theme of my kit, domestic manufacturing is very important to me.

That said, I welcome anybody to find a MiUSA amplifier that sounds equal (or better) in the same price range as the Cambridge CXA81. The Brits knocked this one out of the park.

The CXA81 is made in China, so it’s hard to find US-made products at a similar price point. The closest I can think of would be to assemble Schiit components.

Edit: If you would go used, I’d recommend Bryston, but they are Canadian, not American.

The CXA81 is made in China, so it’s hard to find US-made products at a similar price point. The closest I can think of would be to assemble Schiit components.

Schiit and Cambridge probably aren’t all that comparable in terms of size though. But equally whilst British engineering at its best is still gold standard there is very little large scale manufacturing of electronics in Britain. Most is either designed there and built overseas or is smaller super enthusiasts working small scale out of little industrial units on the edge of provincial towns. IAG repatriating some of the higher end Wharfedale and Mission manufacturing is definitely a nice change of pace there but it definitely affected the price of those units.

Cheers, folks.

First post to this thread but longtime lurker. Here's my chain for starters, follow by questions I currently have for you fine people.

Cambridge CXA81 amp
Darlington Labs MP7/SU-7 tethered pre)
(pending delivery) VPI Classic 3 w/o cart
SS Zephyr low output (on hand)
Snake Oil RCA interconnects
Ascend Acoustics CBM160SE stereo pair
Rythmik 12" sub
Audeze LC2C (when life calls to really listen)

First VPI (new to me, 2nd owner), but not inexperienced with the brand/culture. Completely ignorant to unipivot tonearm, but not scared to take the potential risk versus gimbal.

Coming from a U-Turn Theory with Grado Gold3. I'm quite concerned about getting my Zephyr dialed in because that is also an upgrade, and the new combination of new TT and cart seems overwhelming. Hoping help is available here should I need it

I also wonder given all the documented experience here and elsewhere concerning static and/or potential sonic associated differences... (sorry, had to brake up this awful run on sentence) phew! ...with metal platters, should I invest in a decent mat to circumvent the issue. If any of you have done the same, any recommendations?

Guessing the ISO base for my previous U-Turn Theory won't be compatible/applicable here, no? As such, I'll need to include it in my forthcoming sales listing for said table.

Lastly (for now), do any of you own the periphery ring and center weight accessories? If so, do you find them necessary or are the differences negligible?

Pleasure to be a member of the VPI family, finally!

Best,
CW
Regarding the VPI Classic unipivot, do take notice upon delivery of the sharpness of the pivot point. It should be super-duper sharp. If it is less than alarming sharp, you should consult with the manufacturer. The sharpness of the unipoint pivot is the source of the tonearm’s sonic prowess.

Edit: If you would go used, I’d recommend Bryston, but they are Canadian, not American.
Only assembled there, designed and engineered in the UK. Understand completely it's not the same, but (to me) it's on par with MiUSA with imported parts. I've had nearly every Schiit separate, Jot 2 came closest but it took Vidar to reach equivalent sonics. And the Class A Vidar traded time as a space heater in my audio room! The AB Aegir was slightly cooler running but didn't have the same tight bass and crisp highs as its predecessor.

Very impressed with PS Audio and they're likely my end game, but that's entirely a different price bracket. And I don't consider myself a proper audiophile by any means, just appreciate quality and innovation.

Last edited:
Schiit and Cambridge probably aren’t all that comparable in terms of size though. But equally whilst British engineering at its best is still gold standard there is very little large scale manufacturing of electronics in Britain. Most is either designed there and built overseas or is smaller super enthusiasts working small scale out of little industrial units on the edge of provincial towns. IAG repatriating some of the higher end Wharfedale and Mission manufacturing is definitely a nice change of pace there but it definitely affected the price of those units.
Agreed.

Back