The VPI Turntable Thread

For anyone thinking about a crazy move. Lotta table for that price.

Just put the dual pivot accessory on my Super Prime Scout’s JMW-10 this weekend. It does make adjustments to azimuth less of a maddening experience. And I do notice more bass solidity.

But man is it over-priced for what’s actually happening in the kit. I feel like I’m paying Porsche prices on it.

Just put the dual pivot accessory on my Super Prime Scout’s JMW-10 this weekend. It does make adjustments to azimuth less of a maddening experience. And I do notice more bass solidity.

But man is it over-priced for what’s actually happening in the kit. I feel like I’m paying Porsche prices on it.
Omg... what's that, do I need that?
OH GOD I PROBABLY NEED THAT DON'T I

Omg... what's that, do I need that?
OH GOD I PROBABLY NEED THAT DON'T I
I believe you ordered the gimbaled tonearm, so you’re good. The dual pivot is an adapter for the unipivot arms. Helps with the “wobble” and more importantly keeps me from going bald prematurely when adjusting azimuth and VTF.

Nick do you have experience with the JMW 9 vs 10"?

Stiiiiiilll waiting.

Although the extra time did show me to get VPI to swap out the deluxe weight for the deluxe clamp. So that saved me a couple bucks. I was considering going with the ring clamp and weight combo until I saw the cost of the ring HAHAHAHA no. Clamp and washer it is.

At this rate the Halo is going to get here faster than the Classic.

Stiiiiiilll waiting.

Although the extra time did show me to get VPI to swap out the deluxe weight for the deluxe clamp. So that saved me a couple bucks. I was considering going with the ring clamp and weight combo until I saw the cost of the ring HAHAHAHA no. Clamp and washer it is.

At this rate the Halo is going to get here faster than the Classic.
Look... I bought the NAD on March 4... It was 3 months and 2 days man.

I guess supply chains are still screwed up. 🤷
I think NAD was just a weird nonsense. They had a similar delay with the NAD C 3050 LE. And by all accounts, they held off both times so that they could show it at a big industry show. I forget which one it was in January, but Munich happened and then a week later, the damn thing shipped. Could they have been more transparent or honest about timeline, sure.

Okay VPI folks, I'm just in the process of setting up the new table and wanted to check on something.. Those of you that have the Gimbal arm (and maybe even those without the Gimbal) do you use the extra anti skate fishing line method, or do you just use the tone arm wire method and disconnect the fishing line method.

Okay VPI folks, I'm just in the process of setting up the new table and wanted to check on something.. Those of you that have the Gimbal arm (and maybe even those without the Gimbal) do you use the extra anti skate fishing line method, or do you just use the tone arm wire method and disconnect the fishing line method.
did you get it on the table yet?

Mather, you have now entered the most highly debated, controversial, downright heated at times discussion of VPI users. Hahaha. The anti-skate device only came about in the past handful of years. They swear the table sounds best without it, and the wire twist provides enough of the effect. I think it was Fremer who kinda burned them in an article, maybe it was the Soundsmith guy, I forget who, but they introduced the anti-skate device. My plan of attack would be to try without, and if you're noticing any audible issues, string it up.

I did. After googling a million videos I think I've basically got the tonearm on correctly, now I just have to dial it in but that's a bit more self explanatory. So that's next up.
Fast forward to one month later... I don't understand why all my flat records are now warped.

Mather, you have now entered the most highly debated, controversial, downright heated at times discussion of VPI users. Hahaha. The anti-skate device only came about in the past handful of years. They swear the table sounds best without it, and the wire twist provides enough of the effect. I think it was Fremer who kinda burned them in an article, maybe it was the Soundsmith guy, I forget who, but they introduced the anti-skate device. My plan of attack would be to try without, and if you're noticing any audible issues, string it up.
Haha I kinda figured this may be the case, I was actually surprised to see it on there and yes that's the tactic I was going to take, I've already removed it and I'm just going to try the wire to start. It's easy enough to throw it on later if there's an issue. But to be honest the 2M Black just seems to pick up the occasional left or right channel noise with some pressings that I'm almost certain is down to the shibata combined with dodgy pressings, rather than any sort of alignment or skate issue. So I'm not even sure I'll hear much of a difference on the new table. But we'll see.

Haha I kinda figured this may be the case, I was actually surprised to see it on there and yes that's the tactic I was going to take, I've already removed it and I'm just going to try the wire to start. It's easy enough to throw it on later if there's an issue. But to be honest the 2M Black just seems to pick up the occasional left or right channel noise with some pressings that I'm almost certain is down to the shibata combined with dodgy pressings, rather than any sort of alignment or skate issue. So I'm not even sure I'll hear much of a difference on the new table. But we'll see.
Oh no... famous last words...brace for the meltdown people!

Back