The VPI Turntable Thread

Regarding the VPI Classic unipivot, do take notice upon delivery of the sharpness of the pivot point. It should be super-duper sharp. If it is less than alarming sharp, you should consult with the manufacturer. The sharpness of the unipoint pivot is the source of the tonearm’s sonic prowess.
Duly noted, may call on this group for help.

BTW: should anyone have not picked up on the intentional theme of my kit, domestic manufacturing is very important to me.

That said, I welcome anybody to find a MiUSA amplifier that sounds equal (or better) in the same price range as the Cambridge CXA81. The Brits knocked this one out of the park.
Maybe look at Rogue? A Sphinx might do the trick.

Possibly. Going to recover from the Classic investment beforehand so I don't jeopardize my marriage. Have such a loving and supportive wife, destined to keep it that way.

Also have the Cambridge streamer and transport for Digital output. While I've never been one to care for matching components, Cambridge convinced me to try with this kit. I really have no complaints, and would only be upgrading to secure ironclad MiUSA. Read as want but not need, that's obviously not a new concept for anyone here.

Realistically, if I can find a reasonably priced one of these on the second hand market it would be my next "investment" --- should I actually upgrade, that is. Don't really have that bug right now after thinning my account a fair amount during COVID.

Or at least this guy.

Realistically, if I can find a reasonably priced one of these on the second hand market it would be my next "investment" --- should I actually upgrade, that is. Don't really have that bug right now after thinning my account a fair amount during COVID.

What are you looking at for a power amp?

I like the stellar GCD pre/DAC that I have quite a lot. I’m interested to see how the new stellar stand alone pre is received. What I have now sounds great as both a pre and a DAC but the usb input on it is a bit weird in what it does and doesn’t like to play ball with.

This is just way beyond my comfort point price wise. If I change my stellar GCD to separate pre/DAC I’m currently most interested in the schiit Freya + for a pre. Not sure DAC wise!

What are you looking at for a power amp?
Ideally, this (but I'd have to actually play the lottery):

This is why I don't really see an upgrade happening in my near future.

Ideally, this (but I'd have to actually play the lottery):

This is why I don't really see an upgrade happening in my near future.

I mean if you win the lotto you might as well just go for it and get a pair of the top of the line mono blocks!

I’m happy that the one component I wouldn’t ever change is my PrimaLuna power amp. I’d maybe, at most, add a second to mono block if I won the millions!

I mean if you win the lotto you might as well just go for it and get a pair of the top of the line mono blocks!

I’m happy that the one component I wouldn’t ever change is my PrimaLuna power amp. I’d maybe, at most, add a second to mono block if I won the millions!
But... but, I'm a minimalist. Less is more. 😁

I like the stellar GCD pre/DAC that I have quite a lot. I’m interested to see how the new stellar stand alone pre is received. What I have now sounds great as both a pre and a DAC but the usb input on it is a bit weird in what it does and doesn’t like to play ball with.

This is just way beyond my comfort point price wise. If I change my stellar GCD to separate pre/DAC I’m currently most interested in the schiit Freya + for a pre. Not sure DAC wise!
Tried the Freya, just don't have the patience necessary for tubes. I know, I know... first world problems. That's why the Rogue Sphinx latest iteration isn't really a fit.

Truth be told, I'm kind of starstruck by the sound of most PS Audio kit. Champagne taste on a Moscato budget at the moment. Right now, any legitimate purchase(s) are all wishful thinking more than anything.

Tried the Freya, just don't have the patience necessary for tubes. I know, I know... first world problems. That's why the Rogue Sphinx latest iteration isn't really a fit.

Truth be told, I'm kind of starstruck by the sound of most PS Audio kit. Champagne taste on a Moscato budget at the moment. Right now, any legitimate purchase(s) are all wishful thinking more than anything.
The Sphinx only has a couple of cheap, easy to source, and gently driven tubes in the preamp section. They're no work at all.

But alas, this is a VPI thread... so excuse my pimping of Paul's wares.

That Classic is damn sexy, should arrive by Saturday. Sonically, I imagine my DL pres will sing angelically. Keith is another guy I believe in a lot, but that's already well documented elsewhere.

Imagine beers with Harry W would be quite the entertaining endeavor.

The Sphinx only has a couple of cheap, easy to source, and gently driven tubes in the preamp section. They're no work at all.
Good to know, otherwise relatively unfamiliar as I don't have first hand Rogue experience to date.

By the way, I've greatly appreciated your input and wisdom here and on other threads. You may recall you are a big reason I went with the Zephyr, even though I had been eyeing it for quite some time. You helped me get over the ledge. Cheers.

Last edited:

Hahaha! Fair enough! I’m running a power amp with 10 of them and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Adaptive auto bias on the power tubes does make life way easier. The power amps I had before it sounded like an Angel but were just so much hassle to use!

Good to know, otherwise relatively unfamiliar as I don't have first hand Rogue experience to date.

By the way, I've greatly appreciated your input end wisdom here and on other threads. You may recall you are a big reason I went with the Zephyr, even though I had been eyeing it for quite some time. You helped me get over the ledge. Cheers.
Curious, did you go with the Zephyr MKIII or the Zephyr MIMC ⭐?

Back