The Taproom (aka Anything and Everything Beer)

There's also the price tag on microbrewey beer. A pint of a local beer is way more expensive than the industrial beer on tap. And sure, there's a significant difference in flavor, but when push comes to shove your wallet will always make a decision. As much as I enjoy a tasty beer, a cheap beer wins most of the times.

It’s difficult out here for breweries as well. Lots of smaller ones folding, and a couple of decent sized ones had to go into administration and refinance the debt they had to get into during COVID.

Fancy beer drinking is something I do when I’m out. At home, I don’t really need to experiment, as I can happily drink what I call “supermarket craft” - good quality beer from National or local breweries at a decent price that I don’t need to make an effort to find.

It’s difficult out here for breweries as well. Lots of smaller ones folding, and a couple of decent sized ones had to go into administration and refinance the debt they had to get into during COVID.

Fancy beer drinking is something I do when I’m out. At home, I don’t really need to experiment, as I can happily drink what I call “supermarket craft” - good quality beer from National or local breweries at a decent price that I don’t need to make an effort to find.

I always find it ends up being the opposite. Getting people to go to a craft pub isn’t easy for a night out, easier for a couple of pints, so end up drinking Guinness or whatever the least offensive piss water on tap is if I’m in a lager mood. At home I can run down to the local shop, or drive 5 mins to the nice offy, and actually have a really large selection of craft stuff. Plus there is less of a drinking fast thing at home, plus cheaper to begin with, so can pay a little more per drink.

Chicago just lost some major stalwarts (across beer and other hospitality) due to finances/rising costs of leases. Fancy pizzas included, @Angsty. Been seeing landlord disputes mentioned quite a bit recently on some pretty significant closure notices. The property ruling class isn't done with their squeeze.
Metro closing hurts

I always find it ends up being the opposite. Getting people to go to a craft pub isn’t easy for a night out, easier for a couple of pints, so end up drinking Guinness or whatever the least offensive piss water on tap is if I’m in a lager mood. At home I can run down to the local shop, or drive 5 mins to the nice offy, and actually have a really large selection of craft stuff. Plus there is less of a drinking fast thing at home, plus cheaper to begin with, so can pay a little more per drink.
I’m lucky that I have a few pals that are into beer, so we go places that have good beer. Also, we have a few good brew pubs nearby which have good spaces for big catch ups.

Back