The Taproom (aka Anything and Everything Beer)

One brewery (one of my favorites) near me started a $2M+ GoFundMe last month to stay open and another announced its closure at the end of the year. Dark times ahead of us I'm thinking.
You either sell part of your ownership to a larger more industrail brewery or close. Unfortunately, the current business model does not favor independent beer.

One brewery (one of my favorites) near me started a $2M+ GoFundMe last month to stay open and another announced its closure at the end of the year. Dark times ahead of us I'm thinking.
I’m friends with the owner of a successful brewery and the real moneymaker seems to be the food and other drinks they serve (they have a liquor license). The beer brings people in, but it can’t be the sole income. The other thing is not trying to grow/distribute too quickly, which has been the death knell of many breweries, big and small.

I think we are past the point of peak brewery. With the oldest of the millennials now over 40, they will have the same experiences the Gen Xers had: kids at home, mortgages and incipient health issues.

I expect fancy burger and pizza joints to also face decline. Some of the best pizza and burgers I’ve had recently have been at … breweries! I just can’t eat and drink like that much anymore. 🤦

Chicago just lost some major stalwarts (across beer and other hospitality) due to finances/rising costs of leases. Fancy pizzas included, @Angsty. Been seeing landlord disputes mentioned quite a bit recently on some pretty significant closure notices. The property ruling class isn't done with their squeeze.

You either sell part of your ownership to a larger more industrail brewery or close. Unfortunately, the current business model does not favor independent beer.
People, like myself, just get tired of trying all the options and eventually settle on one thing that’s tried and true. I just don’t have time to sample anymore.

People, like myself, just get tired of trying all the options and eventually settle on one thing that’s tried and true. I just don’t have time to sample anymore.
Decision fatigue is a real thing. I’ve found that sometimes past favorites get cancelled and I’m adrift finding a new favorite. My go-to amber ale, Malt Shaker from Foothills Brewing, is no longer being bottled and I have yet to find a “good as” replacement.

Decision fatigue is a real thing. I’ve found that sometimes past favorites get cancelled and I’m adrift finding a new favorite. My go-to amber ale, Malt Shaker from Foothills Brewing, is no longer being bottled and I have yet to find a “good as” replacement.
Absolutely. Look no further than Anchor Brewing. I probably hadn’t had their brews for half a decade, yet if someone asked me if I liked them I’d say yes. But since I was busy trying everything else, I never had a chance to grab an Anchor Steam or whatever.

Back