The Taproom (aka Anything and Everything Beer)

I like Beavertown's stuff too.

I’m a big fan of theirs but the selection is limited and expensive here. That’s why I picked some up when I was over the border. I was disappointed I couldn’t find Smog Rocket though, it’s my favourite and I’ve not seen it on the shelves for ages!

I’m a big fan of theirs but the selection is limited and expensive here. That’s why I picked some up when I was over the border. I was disappointed I couldn’t find Smog Rocket though, it’s my favourite and I’ve not seen it on the shelves for ages!

The Brewdog (mentioned earlier here) pub around the corner from work often has their stuff on tap too and it's particularly good poured but yeah, not cheap. Can't remember if M&S stock their stuff. Can't recommend them enough for beer at the moment, they always seem to have deals on that make the craft range as cheap as I find anywhere.

The Brewdog (mentioned earlier here) pub around the corner from work often has their stuff on tap too and it's particularly good poured but yeah, not cheap. Can't remember if M&S stock their stuff. Can't recommend them enough for beer at the moment, they always seem to have deals on that make the craft range as cheap as I find anywhere.

I’ll have to have a look next time I’m near one. There is a marks near enough to me!

Little beer story as I wrapped up from my Sunday work shift.

Up until my early 30s I pretty much only drank lagers. Strong, imported, flavourless lagers like Stella Artois and others which were and remain extremely popular here in the UK. We visited the U.S. for my sister's wedding (a lovely event in Lake Tahoe). While there we also visited San Francisco and when I ordered my first beer I was met by an array of taps and logos for beers that I barely recognised. There was Bud and Miller of course and tbh that's largely what the UK considered to be America's input to the beer world at that time. There was also oddly enough, Newcastle Brown Ale which struck me as one of the oddest of our beers to cross the Atlantic but I didn't really fancy one of those. So, to cut a long story short (too late), I ordered a New Belgium Fat Tire. Well, it was like a flavour explosion happened in my mouth. I'd never come across something with such a hop kick. Something so refreshing but bitter at the same time. I was instantly hooked on trying every American beer I could get my hands on. Over the years I've discovered so many more beers that are better for various reasons than that first Fat Tire but, for changing the way I look at beer and particularly American beer, Fat Tire, I salute you. Does that beer still exist over there? It never made it to the import shelves over here but would 100% try one again if it did.

Up until my early 30s I pretty much only drank lagers. Strong, imported, flavourless lagers like Stella Artois and others which were and remain extremely popular here in the UK. We visited the U.S. for my sister's wedding (a lovely event in Lake Tahoe). While there we also visited San Francisco and when I ordered my first beer I was met by an array of taps and logos for beers that I barely recognised. There was Bud and Miller of course and tbh that's largely what the UK considered to be America's input to the beer world at that time. There was also oddly enough, Newcastle Brown Ale which struck me as one of the oddest of our beers to cross the Atlantic but I didn't really fancy one of those. So, to cut a long story short (too late), I ordered a New Belgium Fat Tire. Well, it was like a flavour explosion happened in my mouth. I'd never come across something with such a hop kick. Something so refreshing but bitter at the same time. I was instantly hooked on trying every American beer I could get my hands on. Over the years I've discovered so many more beers that are better for various reasons than that first Fat Tire but, for changing the way I look at beer and particularly American beer, Fat Tire, I salute you. Does that beer still exist over there? It never made it to the import shelves over here but would 100% try one again if it did.

Fat Tire is still the flagship beer of the fourth largest craft brewery in the US, so it's still around. I think it's available in all 50 states now, too. With the IPA boom, New Belgium seems to be putting their Voodoo Ranger IPA out there a little more, but Fat Tire is still recognized as just as important as Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (all of them behind Anchor Steam) with regards to the craft beer explosion in the states.

I love Fat Tire, too. For years every time I visited my sister in Virginia my family and I would try as many American beers as we could, and Fat Tire became a staple. It's been showing up in our local liquor stores recently, too, so it could even make it to England before too long.

Fat Tire is still the flagship beer of the fourth largest craft brewery in the US, so it's still around. I think it's available in all 50 states now, too. With the IPA boom, New Belgium seems to be putting their Voodoo Ranger IPA out there a little more, but Fat Tire is still recognized as just as important as Boston Lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (all of them behind Anchor Steam) with regards to the craft beer explosion in the states.
I love Fat Tire, too. For years every time I visited my sister in Virginia my family and I would try as many American beers as we could, and Fat Tire became a staple. It's been showing up in our local liquor stores recently, too, so it could even make it to England before too long.

I’ll have to look harder on my next visits! In the many trips since then to the States I don’t think I’ve seen it again. I do remember the Ranger one in bottles at Whole Foods in NYC but not FT. You guys are really spoilt for choice IMO for good ales. Really enjoyed the Sweetwater range in Atlanta too and Racer 5 in Disneyland, CA of all places!

Back