The Taproom (aka Anything and Everything Beer)

Ahoy - You mentioned brewing and beer nerdery?

I'M IN!

(BJCP National Judge, and current incumbent running the UK National HBC)

Last night was a Left Handed Giant & Verdant collab Sour DDH DIPA with Blackcurrent and Lime (which looked like a smoothie and tasted like a zingy lime smoothie) and a Cloudwater A/W '18 Baltic Porter, which was gorgeous, especially now it's had 6 months

Anyone have any Southern Quebec/Greater Montreal beer recommendations?

I have some friends visiting this weekend and I want to do the rounds in Vermont but they asked about maybe going to Canada just because I live so close. I kinda don’t want to, but only because I don’t know what we’d do in regards to beer, etc. I don’t think they’re be down to do the normal touristy things in Montreal.

I have some friends visiting this weekend and I want to do the rounds in Vermont but they asked about maybe going to Canada just because I live so close. I kinda don’t want to, but only because I don’t know what we’d do in regards to beer, etc. I don’t think they’re be down to do the normal touristy things in Montreal.
Unibroue is probably one of, if not the, best breweries in Canada. I've never visited it but I'm sure you'll be able to find their stuff all over Quebec. La Fin du Monde is one to try for sure. Sadly Canada has really backward alcohol laws that prevent too many out-of-province breweries from getting in, so the only other Quebec brewery I can think of right now is McAuslan, which has some pretty good stuff, too.

Unibroue is probably one of, if not the, best breweries in Canada. I've never visited it but I'm sure you'll be able to find their stuff all over Quebec. La Fin du Monde is one to try for sure. Sadly Canada has really backward alcohol laws that prevent too many out-of-province breweries from getting in, so the only other Quebec brewery I can think of right now is McAuslan, which has some pretty good stuff, too.
I actually have one of their Sour Brown ale bottles in my fridge that I picked up at a local store here. They came to Burlington's Oktoberfest and I really liked all of their beers. The sour brown was fantastic, but I just have not gotten around to drinking it yet.

Ok, so the recommendations from Andy are Dieu de Ciel!, Dunham, Pit, Caribou, and Les Trois Mousquetaires (aka LTM).

Apparently if you search for recommendations for the best depanneur (corner shop) for beer, there should be a stack to go at

Ok, so the recommendations from Andy are Dieu de Ciel!, Dunham, Pit, Caribou, and Les Trois Mousquetaires (aka LTM).

Apparently if you search for recommendations for the best depanneur (corner shop) for beer, there should be a stack to go at

More specifically he recommends Peche Mortel (an Imperial Coffee Stout, which gets tweaked seasonally) & Disco Soliel (kumquat IPA) both from Dieu de Ciel!

I’m not teetotal but I don’t drink alcohol all that often these days (usually have the car when I’m out and frankly hangovers do not appeal in my mid-30s) so I’ve been enjoying the fact that we’re seeing an improvement in non-alcoholic (0.5%, mostly) beer options.

Not the biggest fan of the Brewdog brand but Nanny State is quite drinkable, and has the benefit of not being like what I’d drink if I was drinking so I have no idea if it tastes “wrong”. They’ve now added Punk AF to the range, a non-alcoholic variant on their Punk IPA, which I really liked when I tried it recently - good chance it may become my go-to beer where available.

Dangerous spots within a half mile of my new place

Tired Hands biergarten. I'd probably be here everyday the weather was nice if I could bring the dog. I'm able to get some of the can releases without waiting in line at the brewery. They're supposed to be opening a restaurant next door so I can still get my fix when it gets colder.

Fermentory Form. Tiny, but excellent non-brewing operation for tart saisons and sours. Only open on Saturdays and on random nights announced through Instagram. Love that they sell a legitimately good 3.5% table beer.

A large handful of great beer bars.

There's also Evil Genius, but I don't like thing. But their patio is nice and people love their jokey beer names so I'm often pressured to go there.

I’m not teetotal but I don’t drink alcohol all that often these days (usually have the car when I’m out and frankly hangovers do not appeal in my mid-30s) so I’ve been enjoying the fact that we’re seeing an improvement in non-alcoholic (0.5%, mostly) beer options.

Not the biggest fan of the Brewdog brand but Nanny State is quite drinkable, and has the benefit of not being like what I’d drink if I was drinking so I have no idea if it tastes “wrong”. They’ve now added Punk AF to the range, a non-alcoholic variant on their Punk IPA, which I really liked when I tried it recently - good chance it may become my go-to beer where available.

Brewdog are a sack of arseholes. Won’t touch their beer on principle. Two to try (in the UK at least) are Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5% and anything by Big Drop (especially the 0.5% stout)

Back