The Super Thread - All Things Marvel/DC/Etc

I wish I was more excited for Eternals than I am.

Right? I am a Marvel guy and a Chloé Zhao fan, the cast seems good too but nothing in the previews has grabbed me at all. Hopefully the move is sneaky good.
Great Director, great cast, one of Jack Kirbys most underrated creations. I expect this movie to be good and have a feeling it might be sneaky great.

Great Director, great cast, one of Jack Kirbys most underrated creations. I expect this movie to be good and have a feeling it might be sneaky great.
Right? I am a Marvel guy and a Chloé Zhao fan, the cast seems good too but nothing in the previews has grabbed me at all. Hopefully the move is sneaky good.
I felt similarly before Guardians of the Galaxy. Seemed like a relatively obscure and left-field choice to bring to film relative to some other options, and was worried they were reaching and it wouldn't work. Yet that's easily a Top 3 MCU film for me, so cautiously optimistic that Eternals will walk a similar path.

I assume this is related to the strike? Either way, I'm fine with this. It seems like the MCU is starting to prioritize quantity over quality so maybe putting some of these films off isn't such a bad idea.

I assume this is related to the strike? Either way, I'm fine with this. It seems like the MCU is starting to prioritize quantity over quality so maybe putting some of these films off isn't such a bad idea.

I've heard people suggest Marvel is scared of competing with The Batman but I'm not so sure.

My trepidation is that when it was announced it almost had an air of "Hey guys, remember when we tried to make Inhumans a thing and failed? Well look, we're trying again, only hopefully it'll be good this time." I know Inhumans was more of a feint at building a quasi-mutant backdoor into the MCU, but the fact that they're both Kirby alien super-team properties didn't help the unfavorable mental associations.

My trepidation is that when it was announced it almost had an air of "Hey guys, remember when we tried to make Inhumans a thing and failed? Well look, we're trying again, only hopefully it'll be good this time." I know Inhumans was more of a feint at building a quasi-mutant backdoor into the MCU, but the fact that they're both Kirby alien super-team properties didn't help the unfavorable mental associations.
I get the mental associations, but eternals has so much going for it that inhumans didn't. Better director, better cast, more likeable characters (Black Bolt rules, but might be one of the hardest characters to bring from page to screen imo), movie vs tv show, thanos/infinity saga tie in, and a much less crowded superhero landscape imo.

I get the mental associations, but eternals has so much going for it that inhumans didn't. Better director, better cast, more likeable characters (Black Bolt rules, but might be one of the hardest characters to bring from page to screen imo), movie vs tv show, thanos/infinity saga tie in, and a much less crowded superhero landscape imo.
Oh yeah I agree (with the caveat that some of your reasons depend on familiarity with source material that a lot of normies won't have). I guess I meant more that at the time it was announced, Eternals felt like it might be an also-ran attempt at doing what they failed to do with Inhumans. Since then, I agree, there are a lot of reasons to be more confident in this attempt (with this pedigree even if it's not a spectacular success at least it won't be an embarrassment).

Thor 4(the one im most excitied about in this group) now comes out on my birthday weekend and thats neat to me.

Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong.

Back