The Return of the Challenge Thread - March 2020

DAY 5 – Here's Where The Strings Come In [song reference: Superchunk]
Play an album with a great string or orchestral section/arrangment.

Lotsa bands have dabbled in strings on the occasional track here and there. A select few have the onions to fully commit.

Here's one of the select few.

Yes, psychedelic chamber music is a thing. A really good thing.

The Electric Light Orchestra - No Answer

I hope Jeff Lynne got rid of whatever was stuck to his foot.

This looks like the house band at Hogwarts...

20200305_131349.jpg

DAY 5 – Here's Where The Strings Come In [song reference: Superchunk]
Play an album with a great string or orchestral section/arrangment.

981C8474-5843-4C53-8AA0-523558650BB6.jpeg

Cass Elliot’s The Road Is No Place For a Lady is admittedly not the hippest album I could have chosen, but it might be my most honest.

“Does Anybody Love You” has been there for me time and time again when it’s felt like no one or nothing else was and I am forever grateful for these three minutes of those strings paired against that voice.

DAY 6 – How'd This Get In Here?

Spin an album that, when you look at the rest of your collection, seems like it doesn't belong.
The Ray Mirijanian Oud & Clarinet - The Ray Mirijanian Oud & Clarinet, Vol. I
9A8CB317-779B-434B-946F-F795A6E64B2A.jpeg
I thought I had purged my collection of most of the stuff of this ilk, usually just Crappy dollar bin LPs with fun covers, I assume we’ve held on to this because Mrs. TenderLovingKiller has her BA in Music and specialized in the clarinet. But yeah, there it is... I don’t remember buying it, not sure why it is here, the music has a weird Middle Eastern Polka type vibe to it. I doubt I will be seeking this one out again in the future anytime soon.

DAY 6: How'd This Get In Here?

I used to have a lot of comedy albums years ago, but most were on cassette or CD and I got rid of them over the years. The only 2 that I've kept on vinyl is this and a Richard Prior stand-up.

Bob & Doug McKenzie ‎– Great White North
Mercury ‎– SRM-1-4034, 1981

Cut at The Lacquer Channel Limited
Pressed at PRC, Compton, CA

DqkH7g.jpg

98Xy4c.jpg

Jimmy Buffett - Living and Dying in 3/4 Time

I don't think anyone would guess I have a large Jimmy Buffett collection, but they were given to me and remind me of my Dad playing Jimmy Buffett all day in my childhood. So, even though I rarely spin them, I'm ok with them taking up some space on my shelf.

IMG_20200306_074823.jpg

Day 5 - How’d This Get in Here?

I’ve got this one random Burial 12 inch that I can’t remember how I acquired. I do like Burial and have the Untrue LP, but I have no other electronic DJ-style 12 inches like this. It always goes in the maybe pile when I do a purge, but then I play it - it’s really good!

2DB57F5A-32AC-47D9-88E8-DEC94A1FA622.jpeg

Day 6 ~ how did you get here?
IMG_20200306_204214.jpg
Gene Autry ~ back in the saddle again

The only country album in my collection , I dont like country but my grandfather is a huge Gene fan and as a baby he would sing his songs to me and to this day he still talks about how much Gene influenced him, so when I stumbled upon this I had to buy it

Spin an album that, when you look at the rest of your collection, seems like it doesn't belong.

48B5C79C-2D3F-4AC4-9218-214849126754.jpeg

I have a secret love of metal music, but mostly from an era when I was listening to it more consistently: Iron Maiden, Deicide, Testament, Death, Slayer, Sepultura, Venom... if this were a CD or cassette challenge, we would have a different pick here. I have some metal in my vinyls (Khemmis, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath...) but of a collection of about 1600 vinyl records this is the ONLY death metal album.

I think it needs some friends.

Last edited:
DAY 7: Time Capsule

Searching my old posts on Audiokarma forums, I found that it has been about 10 years since I've spun this one. I'm sure there's a lot in my collection that I haven't spun in a longer time, but I wanted to listen to some Doors anyway.

The Doors ‎– Morrison Hotel
Elektra ‎– EKS-75007, 1970

Pressed at Monarch

KWd7AE.jpg

1Xvt3E.jpg

DAY 7 – Time Capsule

This guy is an Argentinian rock legend, I have some CDs of Argentinian rock but this is my only vinyl.
I can't remember the last time I listened to this, years for sure.
Bought it in 1989!
The production sounds a bit dated but it's still enjoyable (maybe it's the nostalgia hitting).

2CF1D14A-CCD0-4597-AC35-B3F3B03D991E.jpeg

DAY 7 – Time Capsule

Spin an album that you haven't heard in a while, because either you haven't gotten around to it or you forgot about it.

Royal Trux - Accelerator
C1FA2055-39E1-4CA3-8044-5160BCAC7CA6.jpeg

I love Royal Trux and pre-ordered this reissue the moment it popped on to my radar, yet, for some reason, I had never spun it before now.

Back