The Return of the Challenge Thread - March 2020

DAY 4 – Bass!

John Coltrane ‎– Chambers' Music (Sonet, 1960 First Swedish Pressing)

This rarity is actually a re-branded copy of the 1957 album 'Chambers' Music: A Jazz Delegation From The East' by the bassist Paul Chambers. Chambers was a constant figure in the golden era of jazz and features on some of the best albums of all time. Therefore it's a shame that Sonet decided to plaster Coltrane on the cover and rebrand the album (he was clearly a bigger star and they wanted to profit). It's a killer album, well worth listening to!

IMG_4267.JPG

DAY 4 – Four-string masters
Spin an album with an incredible bassline or bass player.

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasure
B27CF214-E99B-4FF5-8E48-702E01B1C276.jpeg
Peter Hook’s bass lines are essential to the Post-Punk sound of Joy Division and New Order. Also, he “liked” one of my Tweets. What can I say, I am a cheap date.

Last edited:
Day 1: This Party Is Just Getting Started

I finished up four straight 12 hour night shifts this morning....I usually only work 3 straight and those can be tough, but that random time I have to do 4 in a row is really hard. Luckily the floor wasn't too bad last night. (I'm a telemetry / unit clerk on an IMCU level unit in a hospital)

I usually drive in listening to the Blues hockey game if it's on, but I needed something a bit more to get me ready for the week ahead.

Pantera ‎– Vulgar Display Of Power
ATCO Records/Rhino Records ‎– R1 91758, 1992/2010

Cut at The Mastering Lab
Pressed at Rainbo

P3sMmf.jpg

uSuorR.jpg

This is the track that was on the radio when driving in...

Spin an album with an incredible bassline or bass player

Jaco Pastorius
Represented today on Joni Mitchell - Shadows and Light

Well, being a drummer, I've formed many bonds on and off the stage with these wonderful and essential people that we know as bass players. Indeed, some of my best friends are bassists.

Picking one today was tough, but I had just traded texts earlier with an old friend, (a former bandmate and exceptional bassist.) He's the one that first played Jaco for me, on Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light, so let's go with that.

Screenshot_20200304-175412.jpg

TUESDAY: Cultural/Historical appreciation related spins
DAY 3 – Something's Gotta Change
Play an album that in its own way made or influenced history.

Power Of Zeus - The Gospel According To Zeus

This has been sampled by many artists.

Also classic rock was a major influence on me when I was a kid.
IMG_20200304_181455.jpg

DAY 2 – The Soprano's.

I watched the show the first season it was on, but didn't watch it much after that. Never went back to watch it. My wife had the soundtrack back then...I believe it used the original version of the song from "All This Useless Beauty "...and I thought the version of "Complicated Shadows" on this album would be a good alternate ending song...if it had been made when the last episode aired. It was recorded a year after the finale and released 2 years after.

Elvis Costello ‎– Secret, Profane & Sugarcane
Hear Music/Specialty ‎– HRM-31473-01, 2009

Pressed at RTI

qjd2D5.jpg

aFQ56A.jpg

1999 version - as heard in season 1

From Secret, Profane & Sugarcane

Day 4 - Four-string Masters

John Entwistle is one of the better rock bassists. He also died the most typical rock star death ever - from a coke overdose, in bed with a stripper in Vegas (at age 57!)

Here’s the back cover of Who Sell Out in his honor:
06D4E32B-1ADE-4A72-945B-B0F413974D8D.jpeg

WEDNESDAY: Instrument-specific spins
Spin an album with an incredible bassline or bass player.

Khruangbin ‎– 全てが君に微笑む
Japan Exclusive compilation of early Khruangbin singles, released in conjunction with the bands' appearance at the 2019 Fuji Rock Festival.

IMG_20200304_185630.jpg

I had the opportunity to see Khruangbin play a couple of times. I of course fell in love with Laura Lee 😍

IMG_20190510_215619.jpg
IMG_20180715_164543263.jpg

While not usually thought of in the mix of all the "masters", Flea has held his own over the years. His work with Atoms Of Peace is excellent.

Atoms For Peace ‎– Amok
XL Recordings ‎– XLLP583, 2013

2x45 RPM

Pressed at Optimal

KJvWHt.jpg

19GVwZ.jpg

THURSDAY: Song-title related
DAY 5 – Here's Where The Strings Come In [song reference: Superchunk]
Play an album with a great string or orchestral section/arrangment.

Having a tough time coming up with something here. The band Superchunk doesn't have any orchestral songs that I know, despite having the song titled as such. So I will spin...

Unknown Mortal Orchestra - Sex & Food

IMG_20200305_110609.jpg

DAY 5 – Here's Where The Strings Come In

Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club At Carnegie Hall (World Circuit, 2008 First Pressing)

This album has a great string/orchestral section, the guitar playing is superb! I'm always really moved to listen to this album, and without fail, I get goosebumps at the opening track when they begin to sing and the crowd just erupts. These are a group of musicians that had all retired and some of them hadn't even owned an instrument in years, yet all of a sudden they are given a second chance and become an overnight phenomenon. Imagine being retired after a luke-warm career and then being able to stand on stage with your friends in front of this kind of crowd. It's just amazing!

IMG_4365.JPG

IMG_4368.JPG

DAY 5: Here's Where The Strings Come In

Had this out the other day to give it a listen but thought I'd save it for today.

The Smashing Pumpkins ‎– Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness
Virgin ‎– 5099997855316, 1995/2012

Cut by Stan Getz II at A+R Record Manufacturing Corporation
Pressed at Pallas

vufeU7.jpg

i4LCGs.jpg

Back