The Return of the Challenge Thread - March 2020

DAY 10 – I'm Going To Graceland

Spin an album by a band or artist that takes a stylistic or genre-bending turn.
Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
E9A415DA-215B-4DD2-84FA-B02DBDEC5FE1.jpeg
Bruce obviously did not come up the the 60s Greenwich Village folk movement. He was too busy rocking out New Jersey clubs to give much thought to a scene that was pretty much gone by the time his star was rising in the early 70s. It wasn’t until a bit later in his life that he began to explore the works of Pete Seeger through playing Seeger’s tunes for his then 10 year-old daughter. Turns out, he grew so fond of the style he decided to record an Album of traditional folk songs associated with Pete Seeger. Made up of musicians from the local New York/New Jersey folk scene and the horn section from The Max Weinberg Seven (Conan O’Brian’s Late Night backing band); this is the only album in his catalog that contains no Springsteen written material. This LP is a delight all the way through, Bruce’s gruff voice fits these songs perfectly, many are so well known you can’t help but sing along upon your first listen.

Last edited:
Day 10 - I’m Going to Graceland

FA497B81-0B39-409A-96A2-D52F6C0F0B80.jpeg

Less a genre change than a radical stylistic sense of anything-can-happen. I considered about a dozen other albums for this day, but when I considered the time and the context of where and when this album appeared in his discography, none of the other options felt as brave and brazen as this.

Day 9: Say Anything

According to IMDB, To Be A Lover was the song in the original script...I'm glad it was changed.

Billy Idol ‎– Whiplash Smile
Chrysalis ‎– OV 41514, 1986

Cut at Sterling
Pressed at Electrosound Group Midwest, Inc.

LK6Li5.jpg

pfxPqg.jpg

DAY 10: I'm Going To Graceland

They decided to not put these tracks on Hello Nasty, so they became this 8 track EP.

Beastie Boys ‎– Aglio E Olio
Grand Royal ‎– GR026, 1995

Cut by Wally Traugott at Capitol Mastering
Pressed at RTI

I6VBvB.jpg

uAXpHc.jpg

DAY 11: Beep Boop Boop Beep Beep

It's Eno...I'm sure he's twiddlin' some knobs.

Cluster & Eno ‎– Cluster & Eno
Sky Records ‎– sky 010, 1977/?

German repress from 1978 or later

Cut by G. F. Pfanz at Tonstudio Pfanz

dkmV26.jpg

8uCuKb.jpg

DAY 11 – Beep Boop Boop Beep Beep
Spin an album with great electronic manipulation or programming.

96B987AF-C903-4B06-8000-A5BDE1AFC35C.jpeg

Patrick Cowley’s School Daze is a compilation of some of his “better known” works. Very ahead of its time for when it was made.

Just be aware if you buy this on vinyl: there’s a reason that the sticker is on the front:

1A6791DD-5E46-4CE7-8617-A70D9D41D8F2.jpeg

Back