The Return of the Challenge Thread - March 2020

DAY 2 – The Soprano's

Eagles ‎– Hotel California (Asylum Records, 1976 First Pressing)

I have never seen the end of the Soprano's (I have started it a few times but never made it that far) so I have no clue as to what today's choice needs to cover. From the picks already posted it looks like it is left open-ended and perhaps book-ended so that protagonist realises that he cant change his life and so he has to make the most of it? If that's correct then perhaps Hotel California could cover these themes?

'This could be heaven or this could be Hell'
'You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!'

IMG_3972.JPG

Edit: Also came with this cool poster:

IMG_3973.JPG

DAY 2 – The Soprano's

Eagles ‎– Hotel California (Asylum Records, 1976 First Pressing)

I have never seen the end of the Soprano's (I have started it a few times but never made it that far) so I have no clue as to what today's choice needs to cover. From the picks already posted it looks like it is left open-ended and perhaps book-ended so that protagonist realises that he cant change his life and so he has to make the most of it? If that's correct then perhaps Hotel California could cover these themes?

'This could be heaven or this could be Hell'
'You can check out any time you like, But you can never leave!'

View attachment 34995

Edit: Also came with this cool poster:

View attachment 34999
38FE93B8-6E89-4BD8-91B8-33B1A480A432.gif
Sorry couldn’t resist. I know at this point this is almost as cliche as it is requisite...almost.

DAY 2 – The Sopranos.

The final scene of the final episode. Everyone knows it. But what would it have been like with a completely different song than “Don't Stop Believing?”
Spin an album with that song

The Clash - London Calling
Song choice - The Guns of Brixton

This may have steered us to a more apparent conclusion.

When they kick at your front door
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head
Or on the trigger of your gun?

20200302_174845.jpg

Day 1 - This Party Is Just Getting Started

Charly Bliss - Guppy

Needed a little power pop to get started, and this upbeat gem fit the bill. Gonna try and stick with the ladies for Women's History Month, although I admittedly don't have as many records by women.

FFA53C13-85BA-4B30-A867-61C3F2834A9C.jpeg

DAY 3 – Something's Gotta Change
Play an album that in its own way made or influenced history.

"I was talking to Lou Reed the other day and he said that the first Velvet Underground record only sold 30,000 copies in it's first five years. Yet, that was an enormously important record for so many people. I think every one of those 30,000 people must have started a band!" - Brian Eno

The Velvet Underground & Nico - S/T

20200303_012344.jpg

Nirvana - Nevermind
2B8F683E-B607-47E0-9744-52201B09B22E.jpeg

This album changed music for the better. It knocked Michael Jackson’s Dangerous from the top of the charts. More importantly Nevermind sparked a fleeting moment where underground Rock was both critically acclaimed and massively popular.

E0D527A0-FF94-44C6-B56B-3DFA47A8CC2D.jpeg

Probably the most copied jazz album ever made, as detailed by every non-jazz group to feature extended improvisations. It gives away more secrets than simply playing the changes: tastefully side-stepping harmony through chord tones and adjacent pentatonics, taking a melodic theme and fragment and working it through many permutations, the use of poetry (or, generalizing, words and conversation) to aid in the creation of melody,...

Without this album, many jazz albums would not exist.
Or the Haight Ashbury music as we know it.
Or many, many other personal experiences by millions of people the world over.

What a sad place that would be.

John Coltrane - Giant Steps (Original 1960 US Black Label Mono pressing on Atlantic)

I was super close to choosing 'Kind Of Blue' by Miles Davis, but I often feel like 'Giant Steps' by John Coltrane doesn't get the recognition it deserves. With this album, Coltrane literally opened the door to new ways of creating jazz and being able to play the title track has become a rite of passage for saxophonists ever since. It's truly an incredible album.

IMG_4257.JPG

John Coltrane - Giant Steps (Original 1960 US Black Label Mono pressing on Atlantic)

I was super close to choosing 'Kind Of Blue' by Miles Davis, but I often feel like 'Giant Steps' by John Coltrane doesn't get the recognition it deserves. With this album, Coltrane literally opened the door to new ways of creating jazz and being able to play the title track has become a rite of passage for saxophonists ever since. It's truly an incredible album.

View attachment 35115

Man, I almost picked Kind Of Blue too!
Weird thing to think about: most people wouldn't put Kind Of Blue and Giant Steps in the same sentence let alone connect them with each other, but they were made only WEEKS apart!

Man, I almost picked Kind Of Blue too!
Weird thing to think about: most people wouldn't put Kind Of Blue and Giant Steps in the same sentence let alone connect them with each other, but they were made only WEEKS apart!
I often wonder what it must of been like to live in 1959-1960. Every other week would be like “this album is amazing, there’s no way anyone will be able to top this...”

Day 3 ~ something's gotta change

Godspeed you black emperor

IMG_20200303_214007.jpg

The cars on fire and there's no driver at the wheel... while Godspeed may not be the founders of post-rock their experimentation and dynamic sound opened the genre up to a wider audience. Their debut f#a# ∞ is an album that in my opinion deserves a spot in the history books.

DAY 4 – Four-string masters
Spin an album with an incredible bassline or bass player.

I submit to you the playing of Bruce Thomas on the Elvis Costello album Armed Forces. Specifically the track “Accidents Will Happen.”

C464461A-2E14-4900-8310-3C1390150B90.jpeg

Every verse, the bassline is played differently. The staccato and legato passages heighten intensity as needed. He slides up and down the neck with purpose and zero sense of flash: it’s just what the song needs and nothings else. It’s also rare to hear double stops on electric bass in rock music, and yet they are a necessary layer in EVERY chorus. This is a bass player’s bass line, easily one of the hardest and most rewarding I have ever dared to learn. Just perfect!

Back