The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Day 27: You’ve got Soul

Dollar bin record....doesn't sound the best.

Marvin Gaye ‎– Let's Get It On
Tamla ‎– T 329V1, 1973

Pressed at RCA, Hollywood

YybHz1.jpg

WjW6NM.jpg

Day 23 - Get Back To The Country
Spin a Country/Roots/Americana record

N/A - yeah I've got nothing for this one!

Day 24 - What’s On The Inside That Counts
Spin a record that includes a fun insert, booklet, poster, etc...

4CA6C5CE-4F63-4754-99CC-683D83C7FE3C.jpeg

05D2CD50-4CC0-4CAB-848E-08B0BB03E0C4.jpeg

Negativland "Escape From Noise"

Been on my want list for a while was surprised it still had the very odd magazine and the bumper sticker inside still!

Day 27 - You've Got Soul

Otis Redding - The Soul Album

Is it a hot take to say that I think this is my favorite album from Otis, who is a top five artist for me?

While we're on the subject, Greatest Hits is Al Green's best album and I will not be having discussions on this subject.

IMG_20200227_180843.jpg

Day 28 - 45rpm

Faduma Kassim - Majogo

Looking through my fairly extensive 7s collection, I'm amazed at how few female artists I have (mostly due to a preponderance of male African singers/groups). This is one of the rare exceptions. I don't know much about it apart from it's Somali, very good, and on the excellent Afro 7 label, which is doing amazing things in releasing obscure East African music.

20200228_083820.jpg

Last edited:
Day 28 - That Was Fast
Spin a 7” or 45 RPM (heck, if you have a 78 and wanna go that route that’ll works too)

Magnolia Electric Co. - It’s Made Me Cry
1878062E-3B8C-49A4-B6BE-4EDEB5D7E7AA.jpeg
I believe this was a RSD exclusive back around the time that Josephine was released (it includes a cut from that album on this 7”). “It’s Made Me Cry” is such a wonderful song, the part that always bums me out is that it is so short. It reminds me a bit of “Raining In Darling” by occasional collaborator Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy in that it’s beauty is only matched by it’s brevity.

Back