The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Day 26 - I’ve Got The Blues

Robert Pete Williams - Angola Prisoners' Blues (Collector Records, 1960 First Pressing)

I stumbled across another album by Robert Pete Williams, 'Those Prison Blues', at a carboot sale a few years ago and found it to be fantastic. I then managed to get this at an incredibly low price on ebay (£12) last year. Its a superb record with an incredible story. In 1956 he fatally shot a man in a nightclub, which he claimed was self-defence, and was given a life sentence. Later, two ethnomusicologists recorded him in prison (this album being recorded at the Angola State Penitentiary some years later) and ended up pleading for his innocence. In 1958 he was given parole and was required to provide 80 hours of labour per week. After that he recorded several albums, with many songs being written whilst he was in prison.

IMG_3777.JPG

Day 26: I got the blues...

Surprised this one hasn't been played...

John Lee Hooker ‎– It Serve You Right To Suffer
Impulse! ‎– A-9103, 1966/2017

Cut by Kevin Gray at Cohearant Audio
Pressed at GZ

HLi9TI.jpg

oMsmuW.jpg

Day 27 - You’ve got Soul
Let’s spin an amazing Soul or R&B record
Al Green - Let’s Stay Together
85B20F52-5969-468C-9253-3C31A45AF629.jpeg
This was a bit cooler before VMP did their own green exclusive reissue but this was a 1995 reissue that I found at my local record store with the “as heard in the motion picture Pulp Fiction” hype sticker still intact.

Last edited:
Back