The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Also, I wanna thank everybody who participated this month. I really enjoyed putting this challenge together.

...That being said, the party ain’t ending it is just moving over to @MadLucas place for the March challenge. It looks like it’s gonna be a fun one too. I’m already thinking about what I am gonna be spinning.

See you guys there!
1471B79C-330B-4DA6-A65B-9BAC4661D315.jpeg

Last edited:
Day 29 - Bonus!
Since it’s leap year and we get a bonus day, spin an album that includes bonus material
Sonic Youth - Goo [4xLP Deluxe Box]
View attachment 34676

I have only really dug into Sonic Youth as a band over the last couple years. I knew them as very “influential” on many of the 90s alternative acts that I love but I never spent much time with their music. I now understand all the hubbub. I have the 3 album boxes they have put out for Daydream Nation, Goo, and Dirty and you get quite a bang for your buck (these sets still go for around $30). I hope to now try to obtains some original pressings of EVOL, Sisters, and Bad Moon Rising.

Here’s one of the bonus cuts from from the Goo box; a cover of The Beach Boys’ Pets Sounds classic, “I Know There’s An Answer”...

I have the Daydream Nation box and was unaware of the Goo and Dirty boxes.
I
MUST
OWN
THEM!

Day 28 - That Was Fast

The Third Wave - Questions 67+68 / Love Train (MPS Records, 1970 First Pressing - 7")

I have mentioned The Third Wave a few times on the forum and I will do so again now! They consisted of 5 teenage Filipino sisters that lived in California (long story but there was a large influx of Filipinos just after the war, with California being the port town many of the ships docked in) and their father was also a musician in his native country before the migration. The keyboardist and pianist George Duke (the Frank Zappa collaborator) 'discovered' the girls and took them to Germany in 1970 where they recorded this 7" plus 1 album (the music on the 7" is not on this album). Unfortunately, they then faded into nothing and never recorded any more music. The album and single are both really rare (the single being the more sought after) and I have been lucky enough to find copies of both. Its certainly a record I would savein the event of a fire, its some killer funk/soul!

IMG_3826.JPG

Also, I wanna thank everybody who participated this month. I really enjoyed putting this challenge together.

...That being said, the party ain’t ending it is just moving over to @MadLucas place for the March challenge. It looks like it’s gonna be a fun one too. I already thinking about what I am gonna be spinning.

See you guys there!
View attachment 34684

Thanks for doing this, I had a good time!

Day 29 - Bonus!

I had to fit Otis in. He has a huge legacy in Madison (unfortunately, the place of his death), so I’ve been hearing his name my entire life. Obviously an incredible performer who continues to gain new fans 50 years after passing.

Anyway, here’s an RSD version of Otis Blue that includes both Mono and Stereo versions, plus a bonus 7” single. Thanks @TenderLovingKiller® for putting together a great challenge!

FE671EB4-A322-4090-B0B3-FF0F414FE0BC.jpeg

Day 29 - Bonus!

The White Stripes - Self-Titled LP Outtakes (Third Man Records Vault - Package 42, 2019)

I guess this whole record is bonus material in a way! I have never really got into the White Stripes until much later in their career, so listening to all this early stuff is a real blast!

IMG_3834.JPG

Day 29 - Bonus! Real life is for March

Pavement - Brighten The Corners: Nicene Creedence Ed.

4LP deluxe version of Brighten The Corners including a quad-gatefold and 16 page booklet. I NEED Matador to release all of the Pavement deluxe editions on vinyl. Some of my favorite B sides on this include multiple early version of The Hexx from Terror Twilight, a great 1-2 punch of Harness Your Hopes and Roll With The Wind, and an excellent cover of The Killing Moon.

IMG_20200229_160951.jpgIMG_20200229_161026.jpgIMG_20200229_161100.jpg

4LP deluxe version of Brighten The Corners including a quad-gatefold and 16 page booklet. I NEED Matador to release all of the Pavement deluxe editions on vinyl. Some of my favorite B sides on this include multiple early version of The Hexx from Terror Twilight, a great 1-2 punch of Harness Your Hopes and Roll With The Wind, and an excellent cover of The Killing Moon.

View attachment 34725View attachment 34726View attachment 34727
Man, I really wish you guys would stop posting boxes I didn't know about and now will have to buy! 🤣🤣🤣

EDIT: Oof, just checked prices on Discogs...😭😭😭

Last edited:

View attachment 34725View attachment 34726View attachment 34727
I want this REAL BAD.

Man, I really wish you guys would stop posting boxes I didn't know about and now will have to buy! 🤣🤣🤣

Right! That one is unfortunately decidedly NOT a bargain, though in chatting with @sahomerrocks about it recently they got Their copy for an amazing price. Though, seeing the contents makes me want it even more. I do have fat work bonus due to me at the end of March 🤔

Right! That one is unfortunately decidedly NOT a bargain, though in chatting with @sahomerrocks about it recently they got Their copy for an amazing price. Though, seeing the contents makes me want it even more. I do have fat work bonus due to me at the end of March 🤔

Yeah, I just came back from vacation (12 days in Spain) and managed to buy 8 records during the trip. On top of that there were 4 packages with 9 more records waiting for me at the office when I came back (and my wife works with me, so she saw those too). AND today I ordered those SY boxes, so I definitely have to lay low for now.
But you:

1583014809540.gif

A simpler time when Amazon sellers sometimes wouldn't know what they had

1583018128795.png

Edit: I would easily spend $75 each for the rest of the deluxe editions on vinyl

Back