The Return of the Challenge Thread - December 2019

Day 3 - Nice Package

This was tough. People have posted some beautiful stuff, and I tok a long time picking my favorite to use today.
I went with the New West 20th Anniversary Box Set, but I just couldn't get a picture to match how great I think this collection is.
Simple, sturdy black emossed box with 6 LPs (3 double gatefold, all red vinyl) and a hand numbered booklet. (636/750) And the cool extra of my name in the 'thank you' section for placing an early enough pre-order.
It was shipped in an amazing box, framed in styrofoam plus a lot of carboard and bubble wrap. I wish I still had pics of that but I passed the box on to my Secret Santee last year.
But the best part of this package is the music. Each double album is curated: A set of fan favorites, a set of favorites by New West artists, and one curated by New West founder, George Fontaine Sr.
This plays so nicely; it features so many great artists among some really varied material. I find the flow to be spot on though, and it's a pretty great dinner party/friends hang out kind of mix.

20191203_203642.jpg

day 3 - fancy this package of mine?

B72D9D84-5E61-4DCF-B076-9C94AD0072CD.jpegE9208BE8-86B8-4327-957A-E3902FD6ECC3.jpegD63FFCD8-422A-448D-BC08-904B3412F010.jpeg0E740642-0CD6-4A79-8271-D6DE426FF9D5.jpeg

leopold stokowski with the philadelphia orchestra - walt disney’s fantasia

this is from 1964 making it 55 years old, but it is easily one of the best looking record packages in my collection. the pictures don’t really do it justice, but the colors on the sleeves and pages are bright and vibrant - you could frame these if one was so inclined - and so this release does its part to represent one of the best animated movies ever made.

Day 1 - Welcome Back.

Playing my favorite album...

801 ‎– 801 Live
Polydor ‎– 2302 044, 1976/1977

UK reissue

Cut and Pressed at PRS, Ltd.

JKH6o8.jpg

sKHQQX.jpg

Glad to see the challenge thread back up and running, looks to be a solid month of great tunes ahead!

Day 1 ~ Play whatever
Broken Social Scene ~ You Forgot It In People

IMG_20191203_211626.jpg

Lists are not my strong suit, but this one certainly sits high up, top 10, if I could actually sit down and decide on things. Despite the indecision one thing I am certain of is how well this album has aged and how the songs still bring me back to 2002 and the things I was getting into.

An experimental rock album that utilized an enormous array of sounds, from slow anthems to good old fashioned jam sessions, it was an album that encouraged exploration. Anthems, Lover Spit, KC, Looks Just Like the sun, Almost Crimes, are just a few of my favorites, but Anthems is hands down one of my favorite songs ever, a song about change and all the negatives and positives that came with time and the forces that surround you.

Day 3 - Nice Package!

Got this one yesterday. It's the mail-order only variant, so not as fancy as Terror Vision's subscriber variant, but still pretty nice all around.
It came with a 7" bonus record, but it was pressed so off center it is unlistenable because of the speed fluctuations.

Gary Malkin ‎– Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders / UFOS / The Unknown (Original Broadcast Soundtrack)
Terror Vision ‎– T.V.020, 2019

Mail order only Neon Violet & Neon Green split vinyl variant - limited to 250

Pressed at GZ

yuy0Ym.jpg

D6ONcm.jpg
20191203_194410 (2).jpg

That's United for ya.

Last edited:
Glad to see the challenge thread back up and running, looks to be a solid month of great tunes ahead!

Day 1 ~ Play whatever
Broken Social Scene ~ You Forgot It In People

View attachment 24855

Lists are not my strong suit, but this one certainly sits high up, top 10, if I could actually sit down and decide on things. Despite the indecision one thing I am certain of is how well this album has aged and how the songs still bring me back to 2002 and the things I was getting into.

An experimental rock album that utilized an enormous array of sounds, from slow anthems to good old fashioned jam sessions, it was an album that encouraged exploration. Anthems, Lover Spit, KC, Looks Just Like the sun, Almost Crimes, are just a few of my favorites, but Anthems is hands down one of my favorite songs ever, a song about change and all the negatives and positives that came with time and the forces that surround you.

Such a fantastic record (y)

Day 4 - Audiophile.

A bit of an unconventional pick with my pledge to use records for this challenge I've never posted on this or the old forum. Not an official 'audiophile' record in the MoFi sense, but one thing Neil is passionate about is sound quality. I'll put this one up against anything else out there from a sonic standpoint.

Neil Young - Sugar Mountain Live At Canterbury House 1968

20191204_001550.jpg20191204_001654.jpg

Day 3 - Nice Package!

Got this one yesterday. It's the mail-order only variant, so not as fancy as Terror Vision's subscriber variant, but still pretty nice all around.
It came with a 7" bonus record, but it was pressed so off center it is unlistenable because of the speed fluctuations.

Gary Malkin ‎– Unsolved Mysteries: Bizarre Murders / UFOS / The Unknown (Original Broadcast Soundtrack)
Terror Vision ‎– T.V.020, 2019

Mail order only Neon Violet & Neon Green split vinyl variant - limited to 250

Pressed at GZ

yuy0Ym.jpg

D6ONcm.jpg
View attachment 24864

That's United for ya.

i have this same package coming.

day 4 - explore the space

35916452-DB21-4B78-B68F-EC85CE01D79B.jpeg

roger waters - amused to death

this is a recent grail purchase. even back in the 90s this record had a reputation among pink floyd and audiophile fans as being one of the best sounding rock records ever pressed. my copy isn’t perfect, but i don’t think i have another album that touches this one. throw in the “q-sound” stereo surround effects that were utilized, when you’re perfectly placed between the speakers, cars zoom by and rockets pass overhead and it simply sounds incredible. my setup isn’t great either- i can’t imagine how much better it’d sound on a higher quality system and in an optimized environment.

day 4 - explore the space

View attachment 24903

roger waters - amused to death

this is a recent grail purchase. even back in the 90s this record had a reputation among pink floyd and audiophile fans as being one of the best sounding rock records ever pressed. my copy isn’t perfect, but i don’t think i have another album that touches this one. throw in the “q-sound” stereo surround effects that were utilized, when you’re perfectly placed between the speakers, cars zoom by and rockets pass overhead and it simply sounds incredible. my setup isn’t great either- i can’t imagine how much better it’d sound on a higher quality system and in an optimized environment.

Nice.

I almost bit the bullet and got an OP, but didn't. 2 weeks later the reissue was announced. I like the album, but not at the price they wanted.

by all accounts i've read of people who have directly compared on their systems, the reissue is pressed just as well. but the og eluded me for 20 years; i had to get one once the price came down a bit. it was still top 3 in what i've paid for a record, but it wasn't anywhere near the $350-500 it was going for pre-reissue.

by all accounts i've read of people who have directly compared on their systems, the reissue is pressed just as well. but the og eluded me for 20 years; i had to get one once the price came down a bit. it was still top 3 in what i've paid for a record, but it wasn't anywhere near the $350-500 it was going for pre-reissue.

yeah...this one wasn't near that. It was about 100 bucks if I am remembering right...maybe a bit less. Cheap enough to make me really think about it, expensive enough for me to let it go.

Day 4 - Audiophile.

My first MoFi - and the record that got me back into buying vinyl in 2010. I found this one at a thrift store for 2 bucks. Thinking that I could find MoFi's at that price all the time, I started my thrift store trips. Never found another thrift store MoFi after this one....but did find other really great records for cheap.

Before this I had a couple hundred albums, but mostly bought used (it was 2010, so not as much new releases/reissues on vinyl) and only artists that I really liked.

The Alan Parsons Project ‎– I Robot
Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab/Arista ‎– MFSL 1-084, ‎1982

Cut by Stan Ricker
Pressed in Japan

c8llfi.jpg

ynrCak.jpg

Last edited:
Gonna play a different audiophile record for today's Christmas challenge.

I was going to use the same for both, but figured I'd play this one.

Back