The Return of the Challenge Thread - December 2019

Day 8 - RIP John.
Play a release related to John Lennon.

20191208_142323.jpg

Abbey Road, because of the 50th anniversary and unfortunately I don't own any of John's solo works on vinyl.

I went for the Europe 2012 counterfeit because the green is kinda christmassy and I'm a sucker for coloured vinyl (hence the ongoing subscription to Evil Corp).

Day 8 - RIP John.
Play a release related to John Lennon

The Beatles - Hey Jude (The Beatles Again)

I have a sad and yet kind of sweet memory from the day after John Lennon was shot. I was in 6th grade, and a girl in my class named Nancy brought in her portable turntable and asked the teacher if we could listen to her 45 of Imagine in class. The teacher was moved, and said yes. We sat and listened to the song, then talked about the senseless murder afterward. I don't remember how long we talked, or how heavy we got as 6th graders, but I will always remember listening to that song that day.

RIPJL
20191208_122456.jpg

I've had a day of ennui, but figured I should get around to posting something on account of already having done half the friggin’ challenges so far… Uh, I do have Rock n’ Roll but I'm not sure if I've played it yet and am apparently unwilling to jump that hurdle at this time, so

The Beatles - HELP!

In mono… I think this is the mood I was in tonight anyway.

_MG_8617.JPG

Day 9 - you spent how much?

TP Orchestre Poly-Rythmo & Antoine Dougbe

I assume I'm like many in terms of the slippery slope of record buying. For a very long time, I refused to pay more than £10 a record and built up a pretty decent collection. That quickly became £25. And then I started buying a lot of African records. I continue to restrict myself normally to £25-30 but my limit went to $50 and then $75. Finally, I realised certain holy grails could only be bought with even more money. This is, I think, by a fair distance, the one I've paid the most for, at €130. I could console myself that the only one approaching my condition sold for almost double that on Discogs but I'd be kidding myself. The weird thing I've found is that often the most expensive records aren't the best musically. But this one is a corker and while generally I'd prefer 6x €20 records than one, I'm glad I got this one. I just don't plan to do it very often.
PS I hope my girlfriend doesn't read this...

20191209_115343.jpg

Back