The Return of the Challenge Thread - December 2019

Day 9 - You spent how much?
Play an album you spent a lot of money on.
96B8C50B-F534-41F5-80BC-327F0E376DB1.jpeg
B62F5DD2-F277-4670-934F-772CEB27B2F5.jpeg
I am not someone that collects audiophile pressings or someone typically willing pay a ton of $ for reissues or special edition. Typically, I live under the assumption that most everything (at least in modern popular music) will eventually be reissued so I tend to beg off when it comes to dropping lots of money on original pressings too....but this was an exception and while it wasn’t a purchase that broke the bank it was definitely the most I have ever spent on a used record. From what I read though there is no plan to reissue this album by Matador and even at the exorbitant cost of the secondary market I was able to obtain this borderline NM copy for a good deal. Top it off it included an unused pair of“Rainspectrum” glasses!

Play an album you spent a lot of money on.

2814 - 新しい日の誕生 (Birth of a New Day)

20191209_125452.jpg

Including shipping, the recent reissue through Dream Catalogue set me back around $59, the most I have ever spent on a single record. Not ideal, but certainly better than the prices going around Discogs for the previous OOP editions. It was a white whale of mine, so I am happy to now have this futuristic ambient release in my library!

Day 9 - Pricey Bugger

Phish - Hoist - RSD2016

55 I think? I don't really listen to Phish anymore, but it was just sitting there on that RSD morning looking awesome, so I grabbed it. Aside from box sets, it's the *most I've spent on a record.

*we're not even getting into what I traded for a copy of Rain Dogs.

Screenshot_20191209-172210.jpg

Radiohead - In Rainbows

So, I like to say that I’ve never spent more than $50 for any one record. That’s not entirely true - even though this technically a box set, it’s also just one album. I believe it was like $80 shipped to the US back in 2007.

As @DeadwaxDude and @Joe Mac have already mentioned in this thread, it sounds amazing and was totally worth it.

D2080881-8015-4448-9C25-4CD301B94CD1.jpeg

Radiohead - In Rainbows

So, I like to say that I’ve never spent more than $50 for any one record. That’s not entirely true - even though this technically a box set, it’s also just one album. I believe it was like $80 shipped to the US back in 2007.

As @DeadwaxDude and @Joe Mac have already mentioned in this thread, it sounds amazing and was totally worth it.

View attachment 25700

I’d say transatlantic shipping murdered you there. What I love about this one was that it cost me £30 posted to my parents house in England! Proof that special things don’t need to be super limited or cost the Earth!

I’d say transatlantic shipping murdered you there. What I love about this one was that it cost me £30 posted to my parents house in England! Proof that special things don’t need to be super limited or cost the Earth!

It was actually the strength of pound I think. It was sold on their site for £40 - back in 07 it was 2 pounds to every dollar!

It was actually the strength of pound I think. It was sold on their site for £40 - back in 07 it was 2 pounds to every dollar!

Maybe it was £40 then? Or maybe the extra £10 was the extra postage? I know either this cost me £40 and King of Limbs £30 or visa versa!

And of course! I remember back in those days when the pound and euro were so much stronger than the dollar. I only moved to Dublin that September and in those heady final days of the Celtic Tiger everyone I knew here used to fly to New York in December to do their Christmas shopping. Utter insanity in hindsight!

Maybe it was £40 then? Or maybe the extra £10 was the extra postage? I know either this cost me £40 and King of Limbs £30 or visa versa!

And of course! I remember back in those days when the pound and euro were so much stronger than the dollar. I only moved to Dublin that September and in those heady final days of the Celtic Tiger everyone I knew here used to fly to New York in December to do their Christmas shopping. Utter insanity in hindsight!

Oh yeah, I bought the King of Limbs newspaper edition, too. I think that one was the cheaper one. At least I hope it was

Oh yeah, I bought the King of Limbs newspaper edition, too. I think that one was the cheaper one. At least I hope it was

For the packages they were those two were absolute bargains, the sound quality on both is great too. I managed to swing by my local record store when they were handing out the extra newspaper too so I have a copy of that stored in with it as well. I'm really excited to see what they do with Kid A and Amnesiac over the next couple of years!

For the packages they were those two were absolute bargains, the sound quality on both is great too. I managed to swing by my local record store when they were handing out the extra newspaper too so I have a copy of that stored in with it as well. I'm really excited to see what they do with Kid A and Amnesiac over the next couple of years!
Betcha they're going to be released together late next year.

Betcha they're going to be released together late next year.

I'm really hoping that isn't the case. I think a lot of what made Amnesiac special might be lost if it gets paired in with Kid A. It had such great artwork and it and its singles and b-sides always felt different enough to stand on their own.

I'm really hoping that isn't the case. I think a lot of what made Amnesiac special might be lost if it gets paired in with Kid A. It had such great artwork and it and its singles and b-sides always felt different enough to stand on their own.
I appreciate the Amnesiac-centricity of this argument, and now that you've brought up the B-sides I think it's a fair case. I just suspected Radiohead seeing it redundant, potentially percievable as exploitative, to release two box sets in two years considering 90% of the material for both albums came from the same sessions.

I appreciate the Amnesiac-centricity of this argument, and now that you've brought up the B-sides I think it's a fair case. I just suspected Radiohead seeing it redundant, potentially percievable as exploitative, to release two box sets in two years considering 90% of the material for both albums came from the same sessions.

yeah I get that but then, to be honest, they’ve never been shy in releasing expensive sets in consecutive years. I think the only thing that would potentially sway me in your direction is the lack of extras musically that are there to go with Kid A seeing as Amnesiac and it’s b sides was the leftover studio stuff. That said my library book CD of Amnesiac is one of my most treasured Radiohead possessions and I’d love to see the style of that release be properly celebrated in its own right!

9 December - You Paid How Much‽

Not counting box sets for obvious reasons, nor the Tally Hall LPs I bought for my brother because 1) they're not mine and 2) they make excellent candidates for the High School challenge, I appear to have two LPs near enough tied for first and seeing as someone's already played In Rainbows, and I've been on a Jack White kick of late,

Jack White - Live at Bonnaroo 2014

Which, if you're a Jack White fan {and don't hold a grudge against him for distracting literally everyone from what I understand to be a very good set by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, who he name checks at the end of the performance…} you're doing yourself a disservice if you haven't seen. This LP might've been limited, but the full set has been uploaded to YouTube and still appears to be there…

rrVGmk6h.jpg

82jpkOsh.jpg

Back