The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I've enjoyed William Carlos Williams, Dickinson, and Louise Gluck recently. Looking for collections that fit the vibe of fall, I'll take any recommendations.

Drunks and Other Poems of Recovery by Jack McCarthy
I might not tell everybody this by Alden Nowlan
At First, Lonely by Tanya Davis
Re-Origin of Species by Alessandra Naccarato
77 Fragments of a Familiar Ruin by Thomas King
Haiti Glass by Lanelle Moise
Burning In This Midnight Dream by Louise Bernice Halfe
Post Glacial: The Poetry of Robert Kroetsch edited by David Eso
Where the Words End and My Body Begins by Amber Dawn

Started this behemoth on Labour Day. It's the last of his I have yet to read. Just finished the second part, "Iceland Spar", and am having a blast. All his books are political but so far this is the most overtly or clearly so; includes so much of what makes him great at an expanded scale. Definitely his most accessible prose.

1000009311.jpg

Started this behemoth on Labour Day. It's the last of his I have yet to read. Just finished the second part, "Iceland Spar", and am having a blast. All his books are political but so far this is the most overtly or clearly so; includes so much of what makes him great at an expanded scale. Definitely his most accessible prose.

View attachment 183648
Thanks for reminding me, I need to read Inherent Vice

I’ve never read any Pynchon. What would I be getting myself into?
Bizarre and absorbing mixtures of high and low culture, lots of science, math and history informing metaphor and form, postmodern labyrinthian plotting, anarchist politics, punny names, mysticism, more than occasional vulgarity, and lots—lots—of silly songs.

Bizarre and absorbing mixtures of high and low culture, lots of science, math and history informing metaphor and form, postmodern labyrinthian plotting, anarchist politics, punny names, mysticism, more than occasional vulgarity, and lots—lots—of silly songs.

Now I wonder why I haven't read any. This sounds marvelous!

Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow was kind of a delight! Sorrowland was not my cup of tea. Just popped the cover on Stephen King's Fairy Tale. These are today's deep thoughts.
Well what did you think of Fairy Tale. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is in my too read pile.

Well what did you think of Fairy Tale. Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow is in my too read pile.
Unfortunately, I thought it was kind of mediocre. It had elements I enjoyed, but the fantastical bits felt simultaneously too derivative to be surprising and too unmoored from actual folklore to seem referential. It felt like neither fish nor fowl. (Also: King writing as a modern teenager in first person makes my teeth hurt.)

It mostly made me want to re-read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.

Unfortunately, I thought it was kind of mediocre. It had elements I enjoyed, but the fantastical bits felt simultaneously too derivative to be surprising and too unmoored from actual folklore to seem referential. It felt like neither fish nor fowl. (Also: King writing as a modern teenager in first person makes my teeth hurt.)

It mostly made me want to re-read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell.
Yeah, I didn't think it was great (and poorly edited in the last quarter). Kind of just wanted to make sure it wasn't me. It's kind of like Fairy Tales are real and live in the Upside Down. It took me longer to read than I would imagine it would take me to read Jonathan Strange. I think we have a copy of that on the shelf. The wife didn't like it. I never bothered. Maybe I'll take it with me to the mountains the end of the month.

Yeah, I didn't think it was great (and poorly edited in the last quarter). Kind of just wanted to make sure it wasn't me. It's kind of like Fairy Tales are real and live in the Upside Down. It took me longer to read than I would imagine it would take me to read Jonathan Strange. I think we have a copy of that on the shelf. The wife didn't like it. I never bothered. Maybe I'll take it with me to the mountains the end of the month.
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is kind of an odd duck, but I’ve also never quite read anything like it. Susanna Clarke hasn’t just thought up a story, she’s invented an entire magical history of England, with mythology and reference books and scholarly citations and rambling footnotes that sometimes end up being entire short stories in and of themselves. It’s an incredibly rich work of imagination and I think of it a lot even a decade later. It’s a book that feels like a TARDIS.

Back