The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem is getting the netflix treatment from Benioff and Weiss of Game of Thrones. It's set to come out in Jan '24, and a trailer just came out:

At first I was worried they'd stretch out three books to many, many seasons (and get canceled before finishing the story, as this is netflix) but the presence of a character from the second book gives me a bad feeling in the opposite direction.

Just finished Nick by Michael Farris Smith. Grabbed it on a whim at the library and was kind of blown away by it. A prequel of sorts to The Great Gatsby, it dives deeper into the life of Nick Carraway before he meets Ole Jay.

A really beautifully written, affecting, sometimes heartbreaking novel.

Highly recommend.

I'm about 200 pages into Persepolis Rising, book 7 in the Expanse, and enjoying it soooo much more than the last one. Disliked book 6 so much, it made me take an extended break from the series. The time jump and narrowed scope have really given it a shot of life. May shoot through the final two after this.

Also about 300 pages in Gardens of the Moon, the first in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It's entertaining, if pretty dense, though I hear it becomes easoer to wrap your head around as they go on. Excited to have found some more stimulating fantasy.

I'm about 200 pages into Persepolis Rising, book 7 in the Expanse, and enjoying it soooo much more than the last one. Disliked book 6 so much, it made me take an extended break from the series. The time jump and narrowed scope have really given it a shot of life. May shoot through the final two after this.

Also about 300 pages in Gardens of the Moon, the first in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It's entertaining, if pretty dense, though I hear it becomes easoer to wrap your head around as they go on. Excited to have found some more stimulating fantasy.
I agree about book 6 of The Expanse, it almost finished me off. I enjoyed the last 3 (though I probably would have been happy if they were 2 books instead of 3)

I was ready to be done with Marco Inaros much earlier than the authors were, to be sure.

Good to hear this, I read book 6 about 2 months ago and haven’t gone back yet. Now I’m excited to pick The Expanse back up after finishing Blood Meridian.

Back