The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I've finally started the dive into the Master and Commander books by Patrick O'Brian. I've watched the movie 10+ times, but I guess I was nervous to potentially ruin the magic or whatever. What was I thinking?! These first two books have been absolute fireworks. I can't imagine it stays this good for all 20 books, but I haven't been this excited since like, Harry Potter in high school. The immersion, the tension, the joy, wit, and even plenty of comedy. It's had it all so far.

91mFLZRGKRL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I've finally started the dive into the Master and Commander books by Patrick O'Brian. I've watched the movie 10+ times, but I guess I was nervous to potentially ruin the magic or whatever. What was I thinking?! These first two books have been absolute fireworks. I can't imagine it stays this good for all 20 books, but I haven't been this excited since like, Harry Potter in high school. The immersion, the tension, the joy, wit, and even plenty of comedy. It's had it all so far.

91mFLZRGKRL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
I started the first book last fall and found the language so dense and dry that I didn't finish. May revisit eventually because a lot of folks seem to love them.

I started the first book last fall and found the language so dense and dry that I didn't finish. May revisit eventually because a lot of folks seem to love them.
At some point you sort of learn the language by immersion, and eventually you realize that the books are actually quite funny. Every bit of the dynamic between Aubrey and Maturin from the movie is present in the novels, there's just...a lot more of it. I think I read four or five, have been meaning to get back into them.

O'Brian definitely throws you in the deep end. To @kvetcha 's point, you start to at least get the gist of what he's going for when he starts busting out the nautical talk.

Most of the time, loving a film and having the characters already pictured so strongly in my mind is a drawback when I get around to the books. Like for McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But for M&C, it's actually been weirdly beneficial.

Most of the time, loving a film and having the characters already pictured so strongly in my mind is a drawback when I get around to the books. Like for McMurphy in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. But for M&C, it's actually been weirdly beneficial.
Couldn’t agree more. It really just made me appreciate what a tone-accurate and perfectly cast adaptation Peter Weir’s movie was.

O'Brian definitely throws you in the deep end. To @kvetcha 's point, you start to at least get the gist of what he's going for when he starts busting out the nautical talk.

Yeah but in many respects the film of Cuckoo’s Nest and the book are different creatures… where as Master & Commander are very complimentary. I read the first book ages ago. Should read more.

Yeah but in many respects the film of Cuckoo’s Nest and the book are different creatures…
For sure. I just think I would have preferred to read the book first. Nicholson's McMurphy was so dominant, I couldn't let book McMurphy breathe. It felt like there was more there, but I couldn't get to him.

Not sure if that makes sense.

@Bull Shannon noticed you started Malazan Book of the Fallen! I finished book 1 earlier this week, and am curious of your thoughts when you finish. I enjoyed it enough to want to read a couple more. TBD if it'll be the other 9+ books, though.
Yep! There was (is?) a humble bundle of all the books and a couple side novels for $18 so I went for it. I’m feeling a series void after finishing Wolfe’s Solar Cycle. We’ll see how far I get; despite being a big nerd I have a low tolerance for a lot of genre writing.

I’m only twenty pages into Gardens, but I’m liking it plenty. There’s enough immediacy and story over plot so far; in contrast I read the first third of Priory of the Orange Tree earlier this summer and all it was serving me was backstory and worldbuilding.

edit: the sale is still live for two days for those interested:

And @ayayrawn only after lightly slamming Priory did I think to cross-reference what other books we have in common 😅

Last edited:
Yep! There was (is?) a humble bundle of all the books and a couple side novels for $18 so I went for it. I’m feeling a series void after finishing Wolfe’s Solar Cycle. We’ll see how far I get; despite being a big nerd I have a low tolerance for a lot of genre writing.

I’m only twenty pages into Gardens, but I’m liking it plenty. There’s enough immediacy and story over plot so far; in contrast I read the first third of Priory of the Orange Tree earlier this summer and all it was serving me was backstory and worldbuilding.

edit: the sale is still live for two days for those interested:

And @ayayrawn only after lightly slamming Priory did I think to cross-reference what other books we have in common 😅
I saw this deal, and highly considered it, but I don't have an e-reader anymore, and find I read faster/have more fun reading when i have the paperback in my hand. I figure buying one paperback every 6 months over however many years it takes to finish this/if i ever finish will feel enough like a deal lol

And yea we seem to have a similar trajectory lol I enjoyed Priory fine, but it has a pacing problem for sure.

I’ve read Memory, just not Desolation yet. I’ve heard it’s still good, but a different beast.
I think that's an accurate description. I liked it slightly less than Memory, but still enjoyed it very much and think it makes for an excellent duology. I'm kind of champing to see what Martine does next. Memory is one of my favorite sci-fi novels in years.

I've enjoyed William Carlos Williams, Dickinson, and Louise Gluck recently. Looking for collections that fit the vibe of fall, I'll take any recommendations.
try Janet Frame!

And then watch An Angel at My Table!

try Janet Frame!

And then watch An Angel at My Table!
Had this in my watchlist foreverz good call.

Have you checked out any of Dave Berman’s poetry?
Looove this one. The charm of 5:30 may be my favorite poem ever. Should be due for a revisit soon

Back