The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Taschen had a 3 for 2 sale this weekend on their more affordable Bibliotheca Universalis photo book series and I thought I'd purchased something but I never got a confirmation e-mail and it looks like I was never charged, but Deep Discount also carries a lot of those books.

Here's one of the books I was planning to buy "Alex Steinweiss: Inventor of the Modern Album Cover" - they have it for only $5: INVENTOR OF THE MODERN ALBUM COVER Collectibles on DeepDiscount

Seems like a good deal for 552 pages haha.

Here's a link to the page on the Taschen site with a peek inside the book: Alex Steinweiss. The Inventor of the Modern Album Cover (Bibliotheca Universalis) - TASCHEN Books.

They have a some other books in the series that are focused on album covers, too: Jazz Covers, 1000 Record Covers, Funk and Soul Covers.
I have the Taschen release on World Libraries. It is exquisite!

I'll have to pick up some more eventually.

I'm starting one of these two this week....I just finished My Struggle Book 2 so I think I'll venture into my first Chabon novel
(as recommended by @TenderLovingKiller® ) before getting back to Karl Ove.

View attachment 56709
I had a few issues with Kavalier and Klay when I read it a couple years ago, but it's mostly great. Chabon's prose is *chef's kiss*

I had a few issues with Kavalier and Klay when I read it a couple years ago, but it's mostly great. Chabon's prose is *chef's kiss*
I went on a big Chabon tear after reading Kavalier and Clay, and because I *love* the movie adaptation of Wonder Boys.

But I've found a lot of his work after that -- Yiddish Policemen's Union, Telegraph Avenue, Gentlemen of the Road, Star Trek -- to be pretty disappointing. I've had Moonglow on my shelf for a while and will get to it eventually, and maybe low expectations will leave me pleasantly surprised, but I'm not as excited about it as I'd like to be.

But I've found a lot of his work after that -- Yiddish Policemen's Union, Telegraph Avenue, Gentlemen of the Road, Star Trek -- to be pretty disappointing.
I agree with you, I think his stuff ranges from excellent to ok. Wonderboys and K & C are my favourites, I thought Summerland was a lot of fun. I'm more mixed on the others but I like his writing so I still like them enough. I haven't read Moonglow.

I just started The City & The City by China Mieville, haven't read his stuff before and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.

I agree with you, I think his stuff ranges from excellent to ok. Wonderboys and K & C are my favourites, I thought Summerland was a lot of fun. I'm more mixed on the others but I like his writing so I still like them enough. I haven't read Moonglow.

I just started The City & The City by China Mieville, haven't read his stuff before and I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes.
Let me know how you get on with The City & The City, it's in my to read pile. There was a BBC mini-series made of it, not sure if it made BBC America/Netflix...

So just finished High Fidelity, good read. I’m not sure I would have made it through the book had I not seen the movie. I like Hornby and the record store banter/list stuff is fun but Rob in the book is unpleasantly unlikeable.

anyhow, on to this which made me put Who’s Next on immediately:
8461D831-B72D-4620-A201-2BFD749B1FFE.jpeg

Last edited:
So just finished High Fidelity, good read. I’m not sure I would have made it through the book had I not seen the movie. I like Hornby and the record store banter/list stuff is fun but Rob in the book is unpleasantly unlikeable.

anyhow, on to this which made me put Who’s Next on immediately:
View attachment 56770
I am enjoying the hell out of this book. It’s also got me listening to a bit more classic rock than normal. Of course, a Tom Petty boxset and Jethro Tull album as recent acquisitions assisted greatly.

I finished The City & The City by China Mieville, it was a solid police mystery. I went in with pretty high expectations because I was really interested in the premise and had heard a lot of good things and it didn’t really meet those. I was picturing a mix of 1984 and Neverwhere but it was more of a straightforward murder mystery. The two cities are used to move the plot along and add some additional conflict but it doesn’t go too much deeper than that. I think if you’re in the mood for a solid murder mystery with a different setting it’s a good read. I want to check out some of his other stuff, I think I’ll add Embassytown to my list.

I read The City in The Middle of The Night by Charlie Jane Anders this week and liked it. I’d say it’s YA but covers some tough themes and does a good job of giving multiple levels of approach and analysis. I think, overall, it’s definitely a positive story but can still be pretty depressing.

Next up is either Mr. Fox by Helen Oyeyemi or Black Leopard, Red Wolf by Marlon James.

Haruki Murakami’s Norwegian Wood is $2.99 in the Apple Books store today.

I haven’t read it but remember people posting about it in this thread at one point.

Decided I'm going to read Moby Dick this month.

Also interspersing the big stuff I read with a Roald Dahl book from this big box set I got of his work.

All you will ever need to know about sperm whales (and a million times more).

It's thr book that got me into Murakami, but it's also ended up my least favorite of every one of his I've read since.

Something similar for me too (altho maybe I read Hardboiled wonderland first ) Either way IQ84 my fave followed closely behind with Kafka on the Shore.

Back