The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

The first installment has sat on my shelf for like 3 years. Not sure when I planned on reading it, but it'll happen at some point, right?
Same here. In the meantime I also bought A Time for Everything and his recent Seasons quartet. I've basically been using the fact that the last book was unreleased as my excuse for not getting started, but now that excuse is gone. I *love* his writing style in some of the short pieces I've read elsewhere, but My Struggle is a daunting thing to have staring back at you from a bookshelf.

But yeah...at some point ;)

Today is the release date for the English translation of the 6th & final volume of Karl Ove Knausgård's My Struggle opus. Anybody up to date on those? @Tyr ?

(P.S. I know he's controversial as a possibly shitty dude, I've just tried to avoid reading too much *about* him so that I can approach it myself without some of those preconceived notions.)
Thank you for the information! I'm not 100% caught up but I need to be. If I recall I was like 60% of the way through the 4th volume when I stopped. But I do so love the writing and the stories.

I'll get my butt in gear and get caught up so I can pick up the final volume. Thank you

Same here. In the meantime I also bought A Time for Everything and his recent Seasons quartet. I've basically been using the fact that the last book was unreleased as my excuse for not getting started, but now that excuse is gone. I *love* his writing style in some of the short pieces I've read elsewhere, but My Struggle is a daunting thing to have staring back at you from a bookshelf.

But yeah...at some point ;)
One of the coolest things I had happen to me last year was going over to a buddy's house and seeing Vol 1 & 2 on his bookshelf. The cool part was he hadn't even read them, they belonged to his girlfriend. So she and I started up a rousing conversation on Karl Ove and ended up bonding over those books. It also *forced* my buddy to read them :)

Read The Handmaid’s Tale in a couple of days and then jumped into The Testaments right away. Overall it’s a different style in a way to THM, but it’s one of the most enjoyable books I’ve read this year. I’m almost finished with it. It just keeps building and expanding the world, while keeping it still contained within a few perspectives. I can only hope that what they choose to do with this adaptation is to fold it into the Handmaid’s Tale tv show cause that thing has been frustrating me this year. It needs all of this great amazing stuff to get it moving again.

Read The Handmaid’s Tale in a couple of days and then jumped into The Testaments right away. Overall it’s a different style in a way to THM, but it’s one of the most enjoyable books I’ve read this year. I’m almost finished with it. It just keeps building and expanding the world, while keeping it still contained within a few perspectives. I can only hope that what they choose to do with this adaptation is to fold it into the Handmaid’s Tale tv show cause that thing has been frustrating me this year. It needs all of this great amazing stuff to get it moving again.
THT is my fave book. I have hesitated to pick up The Testaments because I'm scared it won't live up. And I don't want to tarnish the place THT has in my mind. I will eventually. But I'm reading Vox right now. Similar but inferior to THT.

THT is my fave book. I have hesitated to pick up The Testaments because I'm scared it won't live up. And I don't want to tarnish the place THT has in my mind. I will eventually. But I'm reading Vox right now. Similar but inferior to THT.
THT is so good. I had only watched the show before reading it, but god does it strike a much more impactful tone than the show. It made me want to go back and rewatch season one though.

The Testaments I think is honestly a very worthy sequel. It just feels like it was done for the right reasons rather than cashing in on the show's popularity. Also, it's clearly a sequel to the book, not the show, so it's nice to see that thread from the book carry into this one. Again, I do think it's told differently, like the writing is different. But it's so engaging and compelling I just haven't wanted to put it down. Yet I am trying to savor it.

Ghost Box III orders are live at Hingston & Olsen.

A box of spooky short stories by various authors, curated by Patton Oswalt. There’s an Oswalt-signed deluxe edition for $100 CAD, or the standard for $45 CAD ($15 CAD shipping to the US).

after largely two years of not being able to read leisurely, i've finally picked up a book i *want* to read:

SMTHNGWCKD1967.jpg

Perfect pick for the beginning of Fall.
Speaking of, has anybody here ever read Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October? Apparently it's a "thing" where people read a chapter a day in the month of October each year. I just bought a copy; anybody up for doing a group read? (It's only 288 pages total, so it's a commitment of <10 pages a day on average).

Speaking of, has anybody here ever read Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October? Apparently it's a "thing" where people read a chapter a day in the month of October each year. I just bought a copy; anybody up for doing a group read? (It's only 288 pages total, so it's a commitment of <10 pages a day on average).

Sounds fun! I’m in, just bought it for kindle.

Sounds fun! I’m in, just bought it for kindle.
This helps to explain the chapter-per-day thing. From the book's wiki entry:
The book is divided in 32 chapters, each representing one "night" in the month of October (plus one "introductory" chapter). The story is told in the first-person, akin to journal entries.
So, intro & chapter 1 on October 1, and then a chapter a day through the end of the month?

This does sound kinda fun. Sadly all the copies my library has are reference-only for some reason, but I'll check some used stores in the next week and if I can find a copy, I'd be up for doing a group read.

Count me in!

Back