The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

I go in waves. I like the kindle for trips so I don't have to lug 3 books along. But then I'll miss holding an actual book and seeing the progress I'm making and feeling the paper. But then I'll get sick of the weight of a book. But then …..

I tend not to being books away with me but buy them while I’m away, only one way lugging...

Does anyone else have a bigger book storage problem than a music storage one? I need to hit IKEA, not for another Kallax, but for a new Billy bookshelf, because right now I have them full, with books stuffed horizontal into any available space left... If it weren't for also using a Kindle, I'd be in some real trouble space-wise.

Does anyone else have a bigger book storage problem than a music storage one? I need to hit IKEA, not for another Kallax, but for a new Billy bookshelf, because right now I have them full, with books stuffed horizontal into any available space left... If it weren't for also using a Kindle, I'd be in some real trouble space-wise.
Very much me. Both my wife and I love books, and they are stacked everywhere...

Yeah, we need a new book case, but I’m buying a four by four kallax first.

I burned through Sally Rooney's Normal People this weekend at the lake and it really is as fantastic as people have been saying. Got her debut novel on hold from the library so hopefully I can start that one soon.

Yes, but most of my books are thankfully in boxes at my parents' house and I'm much more willing to donate or sell them than I would my records. I'm moving apartments later this month and will do the first stage of my purge.

Had a few good reads in the past few weeks.

1. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell. I've read Outliers and I've had this on my list to get to for awhile. I picked up a copy at Goodwill for $2. Next up by MG, Blink
2. Tishomingo Blues by Elmore Leonard. This is my third read of Elmore (Get Shorty, Rum Punch). I really like his style for a summer read. This one was fun since he puts in some references to blues music throughout.
3. The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. This one blew me away. It was on a bunch of reading lists and I can see why. It took me a bit to get into it, but I was hooked by the time I was half way through. I've got a number of other sci-fi books on my list (including the Expanse), but they may need to wait while I finish this trilogy.

Nick Cave recently recommended this reading list:

Thoughts? Only one I've read already is Lolita, which I adored and was what got me properly interested in literature.
He posted this very close to my twenty fourth birthday, and what he said at the start kind of hit me so I've been thinking of trying to get through it before I turn twenty five. I'm partially through Crime and Punishment now and enjoying that so far, The Count of Monte Cristo is up next.

Nick Cave recently recommended this reading list:

Thoughts? Only one I've read already is Lolita, which I adored and was what got me properly interested in literature.
He posted this very close to my twenty fourth birthday, and what he said at the start kind of hit me so I've been thinking of trying to get through it before I turn twenty five. I'm partially through Crime and Punishment now and enjoying that so far, The Count of Monte Cristo is up next.
Don't worry, it's not a rule that you can't become interested in new things past age 24, haha. Of those I've only read Moby Dick, As I Lay Dying, and Crime and Punishment, all also in my teens or early 20s. Loved Faulkner, liked Dostoevsky, did not love Melville. There are a lot of, like, musings on whale anatomy in it? Which makes it pretty hard to get through, though it's certainly a very grand and thought-provoking book regarding what it says about the nature of our lives. I agree with him certainly on reading as much as you can, heh.

did not love Melville
I took a literary criticism course in college and ended up having to read Benito Cereno like 10 times to discuss how different modes of criticism can be applied to a single text. I learned to appreciate it, but my professor was also one of the world's foremost (only?) experts on Melville's Clarel, and he had a way of imparting his brand of masochistic enthusiasm to his students.

Don't worry, it's not a rule that you can't become interested in new things past age 24, haha. Of those I've only read Moby Dick, As I Lay Dying, and Crime and Punishment, all also in my teens or early 20s. Loved Faulkner, liked Dostoevsky, did not love Melville. There are a lot of, like, musings on whale anatomy in it? Which makes it pretty hard to get through, though it's certainly a very grand and thought-provoking book regarding what it says about the nature of our lives. I agree with him certainly on reading as much as you can, heh.

Haha yeah I know, it was more that when he posted it I had been continually reading Ulysses for over a year, and I was starting to focus on it singularly and not taking in anything new anymore. The coincidence of me turning twenty four just when he said that made me realize I didn't want to stop reading new things just yet.

I've definitely heard that about Moby Dick before, I'm curious to finally see how that goes for me because I know plenty of people still loved even the whaling detail in it, but it seems even more couldn't stand it.

Neal Stephenson's Fall is kind of all over the map, but it's often still absorbing in the way that only Stephenson is.

Haha yeah I know, it was more that when he posted it I had been continually reading Ulysses for over a year, and I was starting to focus on it singularly and not taking in anything new anymore. The coincidence of me turning twenty four just when he said that made me realize I didn't want to stop reading new things just yet.

I've definitely heard that about Moby Dick before, I'm curious to finally see how that goes for me because I know plenty of people still loved even the whaling detail in it, but it seems even more couldn't stand it.
Haha, to be fair, reading Ulysses is really hard and definitely takes all of someone's attention!

Hey! I finished a book this weekend and I want everyone and their mom to read it. Here is my review.

HK.jpg

“If you are alive—whether of blood or bark—you will be struck by pain, love, longing, fear, anger, and the particular ache of sadness. There will be joys that quiver your leaves and betrayals that will sever your roots, poisoning the water you pull. These are the varying notes in the music of living. Look up, to close your eyes is to stagnate. To rot and stop the song.” ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
“Rejecting a part of myself had been rejecting all of myself in a world where you needed to believe in yourself to survive.” ⁣⁣
⁣⁣
You guys. This book. It’s by far the best book I’ve read this year. Wholly original, beautiful prose, grand ideas of nature and man and the balance between the two. And it’s absolutely the best use of anthropomorphism I’ve read since Watership Down. Well, that might not be saying much because there aren’t a lot of books that use anthropomorphism, but I’m telling you: THIS BOOK IS INCREDIBLE. Brief synopsis: zombie apocalypse seen through the eyes of the domestic animals left behind, set in Seattle. It made me laugh and break down in tears and often just sit in awe after reading a particularly wonderful passage. I didn’t want it to end but I also NEEDED to know how it was going to end! Please, please, please read this book. Oh, and can someone please turn this into an adult animated film? Some genius animator needs to make it happen.

Back